Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publicly unacceptable opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

anewme wrote: »
    People who like dogs are idiots?

I don't like or trust people who don't like dogs. They are oddballs.

Dogs offer unconditional love and friendship that most people can't.

They don't give a crap if you earn a million a year or are homeless.

To a dog, an owner is the centre of their world.

I feel sorry for those who haven't felt the warmth of a dogs love.

I've felt the bite of a dog and cleaned many a dog feces off of my shoes if that counts? :PAC:

I'll take back the "idiot" comment and say that people who gush about feeling warmth and unconditional love from an animal which is known to harass and attack humans and sh*t in public spaces (and known to sniff sniff and consume waste) are... oddballs.

To a human in a civilised urban space a dog is a potentially fatal threat and a source of filth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

oneilla wrote: »
    I've felt the bite of a dog and cleaned many a dog feces off of my shoes if that counts? :PAC:

I'll take back the "idiot" comment and say that people who gush about feeling warmth and unconditional love from an animal which is known to harass and attack humans and sh*t in public spaces (and known to sniff sniff and consume waste) are... oddballs.

To a human in a civilised urban space a dog is a potentially fatal threat and a source of filth.

and to the rest of us , a dog is a great friend that knows when your sad or happy, knows to leave you alone at the right times and cuddle up to you when you need it. a dog is a great companion , even better than a human sometimes. a dog doesnt need all the crap that us humans do. food shelter and love is all a dog needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Well no , whatever genders I recognize I certainly don't recognize 'bi gender' or 'gender neutral' or 'I believe I was born to be the opposite sex so I shall act on that accordingly'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyway, I dislike dogs and this is a near-universally unacceptable opinion. There are far too many dogs in urban areas. The barking and public defecation attracts my ire the most.

India is running a campaign to eliminate public defecation.

Ireland appears to think that public defecation is just fine.

Does it really matter which species of sh1t it is I'm expected to dodge? If a supposedly developed country is accepting of sh1t on the streets then something is badly wrong.

And the dog owners who allow it should have their noses rubbed in it.. daily...forever.

a dog is a great companion , even better than a human sometimes.

that's... pretty warped tbh and imho indicates a severe lack of emotional maturity. People can be difficult to deal with, yes - that's what makes them worth dealing with.

Unconditional "love" from a species too dumb to know the difference between sh1t and food is worthless.

Scrap the cap!

keffiyeh wrote: »
    Secondly, can you clarify why Ireland should not need to shelter fugees?

We should keep out all of those sh1tty bands tbh.
    Do you think the Irish should have been turned away from America?

Their country, their rules.

Scrap the cap!

The vast majority of people involved in the Catholic Church are good, ordinary people

The good, ordinary people who are involved are "useful idiots" and the institutional church treats them with utter contempt.
    and it is not an inherently bad organization.

It is and has been an inherently bad organisation throughout its history.
    Stuff from the past such as the Laundries etc were there because our parents/grandparents thought they were the correct way to do things. The Church weren't armed - the Church had influence in these things because people gave it to them.

They were brainwashed from birth, and anyone who joined the dots and wasn't smart enough to keep their head down and mouth shut got ostracised, or worse.

Scrap the cap!

and to the rest of us , a dog is a great friend that knows when your sad or happy, knows to leave you alone at the right times and cuddle up to you when you need it. a dog is a great companion , even better than a human sometimes. a dog doesnt need all the crap that us humans do. food shelter and love is all a dog needs.

Walking home earlier today I was accosted by a dog who seemed to wanted to sniff me or something - whatever that annoying thing is that they do when they wander over to strangers uninvited... Hmm, guess it didn't know I'm not happy about dogs coming near me. The dog's psychic antenna for knowing when a happy human wants attention must have been down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Dogs way more likable than many humans.?

Not sure if that would be deemed an uacceptable opinion or just the norm as accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Walking home earlier today I was accosted by a dog who seemed to wanted to sniff me or something - whatever that annoying thing is that they do when they wander over to strangers uninvited... Hmm, guess it didn't know I'm not happy about dogs coming near me. The dog's psychic antenna for knowing when a happy human wants attention must have been down.

Dog might have sensed you are an unfriendly oddball who does not like them.

their Antenna is good at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

A child’s got more bones than a grown-up’s got.

It's not an opinion.

It's a natural law

• Advertisement

Gay pride marches annoy me.

So unnecessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There is a big difference between Public Unacceptable Opinions and Media Unacceptable Opinions.

Does it really matter which species of sh1t it is I'm expected to dodge? If a supposedly developed country is accepting of sh1t on the streets then something is badly wrong.

And the dog owners who allow it should have their noses rubbed in it.. daily...forever.

that's... pretty warped tbh and imho indicates a severe lack of emotional maturity. People can be difficult to deal with, yes - that's what makes them worth dealing with.

Unconditional "love" from a species too dumb to know the difference between sh1t and food is worthless

i dont think its warped in any way. humans are very selfish , often complaining and fighting with each other. humans are pure head wreckers at times.
    i can only think of about 10 people that i would rather spend a lot of time with ahead of a good dog.
    you can think thats sad but it is true.

as for the ****ting on the ground. there are a lot of humans that do that too. i have seen it several times. you would go on the ground too if you had nowhere else to go

A child’s got more bones than a grown-up’s got.

Especially altar boys.

Scrap the cap!

Unconditional "love" from a species too dumb to know the difference between sh1t and food is worthless.

Y'see there are "good" dog owners who put their dog's feces into little bags - and leave them on the ground nearby, throw them into bushes, hang them on nearby tree branches, discard into bins not designed for biological waste etc. And then there are the "bad" dog owners who don't put the feces into a bag after it has defecated in public.

One is more accepted than the other. Both are disgusting and revolting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

What gave the Irish more of a right? 'Legality'? One group was fleeing famine, the other famine and war. Both should be taken in. To your second question, every EU country should take in a number established by the size of the country, how the economy/jobs market is doing, etc. It's what makes us Europe. It's what makes us better than the yanks across the sea. We preserve, we create, they destroy. If you want to use foolish, reductive and dismissive terminology like 'the libs' maybe emigrate yourself and go join them in the US.

I never mentioned the Irish.

Makes us better? Are you going to formulate all policy based on feelings? More daft lefty nonsense.

The only thing that will be destroyed with unchecked illegal immigration is our country.

humans are pure head wreckers at times.

Sure... and figuring out other people and making an important emotional connection with them can be hard... that's what makes it rewarding and special when it happens.

A dog is just a stepford wife without the cooking and (hopefully) sex. You might as well have a robot follow you around all day saying "I LOVE YOU" in its synthetic voice. Somehow I don't think that would be too socially acceptable.

Scrap the cap!

Sure... and figuring out other people and making an important emotional connection with them can be hard... that's what makes it rewarding and special when it happens.

A dog is just a stepford wife without the cooking and (hopefully) sex. You might as well have a robot follow you around all day saying "I LOVE YOU" in its synthetic voice. Somehow I don't think that would be too socially acceptable.

im not saying a dog replaces a good relationship and good friends.
    but a dog can come very close to replacing average friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's way easier to be nice than to be a fucking cunt.

Or so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

You might think you can wriggle out of it with intellectual dishonesty, but it won't work. Firstly, Ireland is part of a union, so it's not just our rules. Secondly, it is within our rules to accept fugees. You can drop the idiot band reference, you're not funny. The Irish got their chance to survive, those currently in a situation should be allowed the same. You're attitude comes down to "**** you got mine" which just seems borderline sociopathic to me.

It's way easier to be nice than to be a fucking cunt.

Or so I've heard.

It's not. Sometimes its easier to want to smash someones head in..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

how do i start i new thread?

anewme wrote: »
    Dog might have sensed you are an unfriendly oddball who does not like them.

their Antenna is good at that.

Grand so. Me minding my own business walking home alone. A dog is racing towards me from a few hundred feet away because it sensed that I'm unfriendly and it's trying to do what? Intimidate me into liking dogs? Via harassment? Barking? Biting me? Pissing on me? Sh*tting on me?

ahhh How do I start a new thread?

To start a new thread simply click on the 'new thread' button (you may need the right permissions to do this).

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

You might think you can wriggle out of it with intellectual dishonesty, but it won't work. Firstly, Ireland is part of a union, so it's not just our rules. Secondly, it is within our rules to accept fugees. You can drop the idiot band reference, you're not funny. The Irish got their chance to survive, those currently in a situation should be allowed the same. You're attitude comes down to "**** you got mine" which just seems borderline sociopathic to me.

I disagree with both of you.
    The fugees were a great band.
    Sadly that's another publicly unacceptable opinion :(

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »

I meant to say 'idiotic'. Sorry. I have no strong feeling about the band one way or another :)

blazard wrote: »
    ahhh How do I start a new thread?

To start a new thread simply click on the 'new thread' button (you may need the right permissions to do this).

:)

Abandon hope all ye who start a new thread.

woohoo

The first page of this thread is exactly why polling is so unreliable. People don't even tell the truth on their phones lest their family or housemates hear them say one thing and then blow it up into something else. We have people calling OP's opinions shltty and others saying he "doesn't like Muslims, travellers and women." There are definitely people here who think he's a Nazi.

You're allowed to have qualms with things without it turning into dislike or hate. Stop seeing the world and especially people's opinions in black and white.

In order, natural migration flows work, mass immigration from anywhere or by any group of people doesn't.
    Travellers don't integrate well into society.

Do a lot of women have boxes for potential mates to tick? Yes.
    Are these boxes as relevant now as they were even 20 years ago? No.
    Those are the unrealistic expectations that shouldn't exist in a society with both parents working.

Women are more likely to be bisexual than men. The trope of the "man-hating lesbians" are just the bisexual women who've had an awful experience with men. My girlfriend and most of her friends find women attractive, and even sexually appealing. Most have fooled around with another girl at some point. This is absolutely not as common in men.

Do I dislike Muslim people, travellers, or women? No, I certainly don't. But I am Hitler.

u are very liberal for a nazi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ghandi was Not a paedophile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So far here I've seen a lot of people expressing publicly "unacceptable" positions that seem to be widely held and accepted here on After Hours.

It isn't that much fun around here anymore.

theres the exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

blazard wrote: »
    theres the exit

Fine rebuttal.

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

R.e.f.u.g.e.e.

The first page of this thread is exactly why polling is so unreliable. People don't even tell the truth on their phones lest their family or housemates hear them say one thing and then blow it up into something else. We have people calling OP's opinions shltty and others saying he "doesn't like Muslims, travellers and women." There are definitely people here who think he's a Nazi.

You're allowed to have qualms with things without it turning into dislike or hate. Stop seeing the world and especially people's opinions in black and white.

In order, natural migration flows work, mass immigration from anywhere or by any group of people doesn't.
    Travellers don't integrate well into society.

Do a lot of women have boxes for potential mates to tick? Yes.
    Are these boxes as relevant now as they were even 20 years ago? No.
    Those are the unrealistic expectations that shouldn't exist in a society with both parents working.

Women are more likely to be bisexual than men. The trope of the "man-hating lesbians" are just the bisexual women who've had an awful experience with men. My girlfriend and most of her friends find women attractive, and even sexually appealing. Most have fooled around with another girl at some point. This is absolutely not as common in men.

Do I dislike Muslim people, travellers, or women? No, I certainly don't. But I am Hitler.

Yeah but get back to me when you've encountered dog feces, heard incessant dog barking for hours, been bitten/attacked by a dog or otherwise had an encounter with a dog you did not want.

R.e.f.u.g.e.e.

Y.o.u.h.a.v.e.n.o.p.o.i.n.t.t.o.m.a.k.e.s.o.y.o.u.r.e.a.c.t.i.n.g.l.i.k.e.a.n.i.d.i.o.t.i.n.s.t.e.a.d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Y.o.u.h.a.v.e.n.o.p.o.i.n.t.t.o.m.a.k.e.s.o.y.o.u.r.e.a.c.t.i.n.g.l.i.k.e.a.n.i.d.i.o.t.i.n.s.t.e.a.d.

'...y.o.u.a.r.e.r.e.a.c.t.i.n.g...'

😂🀣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

The good, ordinary people who are involved are "useful idiots" and the institutional church treats them with utter contempt.

It is and has been an inherently bad organisation throughout its history.

They were brainwashed from birth, and anyone who joined the dots and wasn't smart enough to keep their head down and mouth shut got ostracised, or worse.

You're missing the point - the institutional Church and the lay Church are one and the same - one doesn't exist without the other.

It's by far the biggest charitable organization on Earth?

Ostracized or worse? Who was doing the ostracising? For most of the poor women in the Laundries, their own families put them there - to get out of the Laundry you only needed someone from your family to come pick you up.

In alot of cases, people saw the laundries as a way of keeping these women who couldn't be trusted useful (not saying I agree with the mindset but to say it was a pile of priests and nuns aka the SS is wrong IMO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mass immigration is great just ask the Aztecs. Oh wait, you can't, they're all dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I preferred when Boards was more nerds than Nazis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Despite generally being in agreement with you, I find it odd given the serious tone of the post, that you keep refereeing to refugees as fugees..

somefeen wrote: »

I'm onboard with this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

This may shock a lot of you and it is generally seen as unacceptable - I don't like pizza.

that is downright unacceptable

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

mass immigration is great just ask the Aztecs. Oh wait, you can't, they're all dead.
    Or the Swedes. They're having a great time with their no go zones, rape, ethic riots, grenade attacks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What has that got to do with anything? The question is, do you think the Irish didn't deserve the chance to fight for theirs and their families lives by fleeing to the US? What the US needed is irrelevant, it's about what the Irish that were in serious trouble needed.

And you ignored my first question. Conveniently.

Ireland has a veto on refugees, secured through the second vote on Lisbon (i think, could have been Nice II) so there is no question of us needing to leave the EU.

Of course what the US needed is relevant. If they hadn't needed cheap labour Irish people wouldn't have been allowed enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think most people agree with you on all your points but cant or don't want to be seen to be racist/bigoted/xenophobic/whatever and so toe the party line and disagree purely to be seen to be doing what everyone else claims to be the right thing but secretly believe the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Shenshen wrote: »
    How do you cross the double-think gap between your opinions 3 and 4?
    Can you be more specific on this point?

Advertisement