Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publicly unacceptable opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mariaalice wrote: »
    To me a lot of this is like being a cycnic with insight they cant enjoy beign a cycnic being a cycnic, becaude they know their thinking is falthy not based on objective reality.

A cynic's thinking is entirely based on objective reality.

But this is one of those words that gets misused a lot to the extent that many people think it means something it doesn't.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Mutant z wrote: »
    In reality what most people think is not acceptable to the PC brigade for instance very few would agree with them on immigration the majority of the public want tighter controls on immigration but you don't get that impression from listening to the media.

I'd say most people don't give it anywhere near as much thought as you do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I have no issue with the immigration policy as it currently stands in Ireland/EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Try_harder wrote: »
    I have no issue with the immigration policy as it currently stands in Ireland/EU

If the policies we have were actually enforced...

Scrap the cap!

If the policies we have were actually enforced...

They are enforced- everyone is entitled to due process

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Southerners are very English ethnically and culturally. Moreso than Unionists here. You can tell by their constant whinging and appeasement during the troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Southerners are very English ethnically and culturally. Moreso than Unionists here. You can tell by their constant whinging and appeasement during the troubles.

You mean people from Alabama and Georgia etc?

Texans too?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

You mean people from Alabama and Georgia etc?

Texans too?

No I mean Mexicans dawg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Burning churches to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No I mean Mexicans dawg

Build the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Something about disliking kitchen islands and embossed wallpaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think (mostly) people can still agree on reality. I wouldn't expect anyone opening a thread on AH for example to meet any challenges when stating that currently, aspects of traveller culture have a significant negative influence on a number of members of the community.

The discussion to be had here is more around how to address the situation. That's where opinions come in. And you generally will get some very fast-typing posters declaring that they should all be a) imprisoned, b) deported or c) killed, while there will be many others trying to put forward some more social, workable, but long-term and costly approaches.

And any mod stepping in to this will inevitably end up being accused of being too left-leaning and liberal for banning the guys calling for travellers to be killed, but not the guys suggesting ways to give them better access to education.

They have the same access to education as everyone else.

All these so called problems they have are entirely of their own making.

They always have the hand out for free money and contribute nothing to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

In a lot of circles in Ireland, it would be far more acceptable to say racist and transphobic things than to speak against those sentiments.

As for travellers, I have almost never met a person who said anything good about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Men in a work environment can be patronising, coarse and dismissive. No doubt about it.

But women can be more highly and directly aggressive - shouting, screaming even, berating, threatening - to a degree a man could never get away with.

I'd say 90% of the outright bullies I've come across at work have been women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Belief in god (any one of them) should be treated as a form of mental illness. It's delusional and people should be given help to understand why they need to have such a crutch in their lives and overcome it. It's the most destructive construct in human history needs to be eradicated as a valid concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

mass immigration is great just ask the Aztecs. Oh wait, you can't, they're all dead.

Yes there's no difference in that situation, it's especially not true that it's almost entirely flipped in terms of power dynamics, right? I think this may be the dumbest argument I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Belief in god (any one of them) should be treated as a form of mental illness. It's delusional and people should be given help to understand why they need to have such a crutch in their lives and overcome it. It's the most destructive construct in human history needs to be eradicated as a valid concept.

Redemption is possible, brother monster.

The lord will provide but only if I throw a few quid in a box and light a 20c candle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Southerners have a huge Ulster Scots background. Not like the English at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Burning churches to the ground.
    To what end? 

I understand the negative sentiment towards the Catholic church, but some churches are beautiful buildings.  Although the religion itself seems to be dying in Ireland, perhaps they should be kept as a reminder of the dangers of blind faith.

• Advertisement

Would you also agree that faith can be a source of strength that atheism cannot?  Atheism appears to me to be a spiritual void, though I consider myself an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think those public figure conservatives are in fact voicing opinions that ordinary conservatives feel they can't say. the conservative views espoused on boards.ie for instance are done anonymously. being dismissive of the idea won't make it go away.

keffiyeh wrote: »
    Yes there's no difference in that situation, it's especially not true that it's almost entirely flipped in terms of power dynamics, right? I think this may be the dumbest argument I've ever seen.
    relax chief, twas a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Even though there are thousands of non-EU people abusing the educational visas?

And even though there are many illegal/bogus Asian asylum-seekers who travelled from the UK, who have taken part in sham marriages?

Our border controls and enforcement rules are too soft.

What are your thoughts of the Muslim grooming gangs in the UK and the New Years 2016 attacks in Cologne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Undividual wrote: »
    Would you also agree that faith can be a source of strength that atheism cannot?  Atheism appears to me to be a spiritual void, though I consider myself an atheist.

Read Camus or look for a condensed version of his thinking, meaning can be found in anything and everything.

A person contemplating suicide( I am not trivialising suicide ). Chelse and Liverpool are playing the next week, live and they will get to see the match, football among a million other things, can give meaning to life.

There might be no meaning to life, and life can still be interesting and enjoyable that is alright as well.

Read Camus or look for a condensed version of his thinking, meaning can be found in anything and everything.

A person contemplating suicide( I am not trivialising suicide ). Chelse and Liverpool are playing the next week, live and they will get to see the match, football among a million other things, can give meaning to life.

There might be no meaning to life, and life can still be interesting and enjoyable that is alright as well.

That's not a great example. How many people have sacrificed their lives (or killed) for football? Additionally, football is innately tribal, religion is (generally) universal. The idea of someone not wanting to end their lives because of a team is a stretch.

The universality of religion seems to me to give transcendent meaning beyond the individual. Atheism is personal meaning without an answer for the big questions, why are we here and what happens after we die. Obviously I'm not saying religions can accurately answer these questions either. I would also say that atheism does not hold universal values, such as can be found in the role models of Jesus/Mohammed/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Transgender folk want to be accepted for the people they are but ironically they couldn't accept the people they where ,

Not that I care what they do but it is ironic,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any heat over about 25 degrees is uncomfortable and just too hot to function properly in.
    I love rain, especially cycling in the rain.

Oh, and sandy beaches are crap, I hate getting stand stuck to me, and getting in to everything.

That's not a great example. How many people have sacrificed their lives (or killed) for football? Additionally, football is innately tribal, religion is (generally) universal. The idea of someone not wanting to end their lives because of a team is a stretch.

The universality of religion seems to me to give transcendent meaning beyond the individual. Atheism is personal meaning without an answer for the big questions, why are we here and what happens after we die. Obviously I'm not saying religions can accurately answer these questions either. I would also say that atheism does not hold universal values, such as can be found in the role models of Jesus/Mohammed/etc.

There is a well-known psychiatrist who says the trouble with humans is that we are burdened by our thoughts, our consciousness of ourselves and our eventual death burdens humans.

• Advertisement

Would you also agree that faith can be a source of strength that atheism cannot?

no, unless you mean faith in something real or a proven concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read in my life

Possibly should be worded better but not far wrong,
    Religion has caused more war and suffering than anything on this planet,  but the actually belief in a god isn't harmful on its own as a personal thing.

Would you also agree that faith can be a source of strength that atheism cannot?

no, unless you mean faith in something real or a proven concept.
    Try get 19 atheists to blow themselves up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Religion has caused more war and suffering than anything on this planet, but the actually belief in a god isn't harmful on its own as a personal thing.

Yes, it could have been worded better but the poster is on the right track.
    Religion is very often used to excuse the behaviour of believers while they are still alive e.g. ah, it's okay for me to treat people like crap because I will be forgiven by God if I ask for his forgiveness. Or they can use the excuse of the "devil" for negatively influencing them.

If a baby is saved by doctors in hospital, then the hand of God was involved.
    If a baby dies in hospital then God took him/her and God knows best.

The hypocritical nature of religious people is out there for the rest of us to see e.g. "ah, I couldn't be bothered going to mass today."
    But it is one of the commandments: 'Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day', and if they don't go then they don't love Jesus: In John 14:15, “If ye love Me keep My Commandments.”

Religion was a device created by man to control other men and women. It has to do with power and in the very early evolutionary stage of its existence it was used to explain superstition. Then it progressed to thought control and wealth accumulation, and then to the total subjugation of the believers.

All religions are cults, and when mankind finally becomes enlightened by this fact, then it will be realised that religion was the biggest con game played on humanity. When the shackles of religion are gone, the world will be a much better place.

19 atheists will blow themselves up for nationalism, republicanism, political beliefs, tribalism and so on without a trace of religious belief.

An example motivated by some sort of Marxist gobbly gook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_German_Embassy_siege

Geuze wrote: »
    Even though there are thousands of non-EU people abusing the educational visas?

And even though there are many illegal/bogus Asian asylum-seekers who travelled from the UK, who have taken part in sham marriages?

Our border controls and enforcement rules are too soft.

If they are committing illegal acts or entering illegally thats not part of our policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Why is it ridiculous?

If I told you I believed in a ghost that controlled the world, and that I talked to him, and that I drink his blood and eat his flesh, and that this irrational belief influenced my daily actions and behaviour...are you telling me you wouldn't think I was a candidate for the funny farm?

Kivaro wrote: »
    Religion has caused more war and suffering than anything on this planet,  but the actually belief in a god isn't harmful on its own as a personal thing.

Yes, it could have been worded better but the poster is on the right track.
    Religion is very often used to excuse the behaviour of believers while they are still alive e.g. ah, it's okay for me to treat people like crap because I will be forgiven by God if I ask for his forgiveness. Or they can use the excuse of the "devil" for negatively influencing them.

If a baby is saved by doctors in hospital, then the hand of God was involved.
    If a baby dies in hospital then God took him/her and God knows best.

The hypocritical nature of religious people is out there for the rest of us to see e.g. "ah, I couldn't be bothered going to mass today."
    But it is one of the commandments: 'Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day', and if they don't go then they don't love Jesus: In John 14:15, “If ye love Me keep My Commandments.”

Religion was a device created by man to control other men and women. It has to do with power and in the very early evolutionary stage of its existence it was used to explain superstition. Then it progressed to thought control and wealth accumulation, and then to the total subjugation of the believers.

All religions are cults, and when mankind finally becomes enlightened by this fact, then it will be realised that religion was the biggest con game played on humanity. When the shackles of religion are gone, the world will be a much better place.
    The nail on the head there,
    Religion was created to control people ,
    I'm not saying there isn't a god or a creator or anything like that but Religion's are solely to control people for wealth and power or whatever purpose suits at the time nothing else,
    I don't think the people who started them released for how long they would remain in place, or how devoted to made up stuff people would become,

• Advertisement

19 atheists will blow themselves up for nationalism, republicanism, political beliefs, tribalism and so on without a trace of religious belief.

Again, not a like-for-like example.  The 9/11 hijackers knew beforehand that they had no chance of survival.  They willingly embraced their deaths.  The above example seems to suggest that the attackers would have escaped/tried to escape if their demands were met. 

If their demands were met and they blew up the embassy anyway after their demands were met, they would make it less likely for authorities to deal with terrorists in the future.

Again, not a like-for-like example.  The 9/11 hijackers knew beforehand that they had no chance of survival.  They willingly embraced their deaths.  The above example seems to suggest that the attackers would have escaped/tried to escape if their demands were met. 

If their demands were met and they blew up the embassy anyway after their demands were met, they would make it less likely for authorities to deal with terrorists in the future.
    Religion since its inception has done more bad than good, You'd want to have walked around your life on this planet with your eyes closed and ears bolcked to think otherwise,

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

relax chief, twas a joke.

A joke (if you say so) with an incredibly dumb agenda.

Religion since its inception has done more bad than good, You'd want to have walked around your life on this planet with your eyes closed and ears bolcked to think otherwise,
    How specifically are you measuring bad and good in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

The amount of publicity dog shyte gets whereas cat shyte is a much more serious matter. It is one of the greatest evils,just walk in both and smell your shoes,may as well throw away the "cat" one :(

A joke (if you say so) with an incredibly dumb agenda.

this is after hours not The Guardian comments section. calm yourself.

• Advertisement

How specifically are you measuring bad and good in this case?
    Its an instrument of control , Starter of more wars than anything on this planet,
    Look at recent times thousands upon thousands of people have died because of religion in just the last 20 years and it shows no sign of letting up when its a made up nonsense,
    Then there is the sexual abuse in the Catholic church, the abuse off women of Islamic faiths  , the list is really endless.
    Only someone brain washed by a religion would think its been good for the planet ,

Its all nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Its an instrument of control , Starter of more wars than anything on this planet,
    Look at recent times thousands upon thousands of people have died because of religion in just the last 20 years and it shows no sign of letting up when its a made up nonsense,
    Then there is the sexual abuse in the Catholic church, the abuse off women of Islamic faiths  , the list is really endless.
    Only someone brain washed by a religion would think its been good for the planet ,

Its all nonsense

Judaism and Christianity are the foundations of the entire civilisation of the west. To say it should never have existed and that it's all ridiculous nonsense is not a logical position to take.

Its all nonsense

Judaism and Christianity are the foundations of the entire civilisation of the west. To say it should never have existed and that it's all ridiculous nonsense is not a logical position to take.
    There was civilisation before Christianity , there would have been Civilisation without,
    The idea that people in this day and age follow books written thousands of years ago that more than likely are all made up fairy tales word to word is utterly crazy,
    Scientology is the perfect example of how crazy and stupid religion is and as its fairly recent so its great example.,
    Its was made up by a man who wrote more sci-fi books than anyone on the planet ,He was also a man who got discharged from the navy as he wouldn't stop "touching himself" ,
    It now has 14 million followers world wide, 
    It goes to show how stupid and easy led people can be,
    Religion is and always has been nonsense,

why?
    again why? just because it may have been relevant in the past does not mean it is not wrong. The US was built on slavery....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was civilisation before Christianity , there would have been Civilisation without,
    The idea that people in this day and age follow books written thousands of years ago that more than likely are all made up fairy tales word to word is utterly crazy,
    Scientology is the perfect example of how crazy and stupid religion is and as its fairly recent so its great example.,
    Its was made up by a man who wrote more sci-fi books than anyone on the planet ,He was also a man who got discharged from the navy as he wouldn't stop "touching himself" ,
    It now has 14 million followers world wide, 
    It goes to show how stupid and easy led people can be,
    Religion is and always has been nonsense,

Agree.

I love the people who cry out for Scientology to be banned, not allowed to build places of worship etc, cos its dangerous and a load of old nonsense, whilst at the same time following a religion themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement