Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publicly unacceptable opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

keffiyeh wrote: »
    A joke (if you say so) with an incredibly dumb agenda.

this is after hours not The Guardian comments section. calm yourself.

Your posts are such a waste of server space, nothing but hot air. Spare us, edgelord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

NIMAN wrote: »
    Agree.

I love the people who cry out for Scientology to be banned, not allowed to build places of worship etc, cos its dangerous and a load of old nonsense, whilst at the same time following a religion themselves.

Yes but aside from a few cents in the collection plate which are voluntary - being Catholic doesn't cost me hundreds of thousands!

Plus I haven't been to Mass in a few weeks and my best mate is an atheist, yet to see the Parish Priest come round to threaten me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Religion since its inception has done more bad than good, You'd want to have walked around your life on this planet with your eyes closed and ears bolcked to think otherwise,

Not at all. Firstly since all cultures have had some religion it looks like a belief in the supernatural is inate. Secondly the claim that religion is a cause of most wars isn’t empirically solid.

Not at all. Firstly since all cultures have had some religion it looks like a belief in the supernatural is inate. Secondly the claim that religion is a cause of most wars isn’t empirically solid.

Ah let them have their little rant! Those of us who believe in God can smile along knowing that if we're wrong, then nothing. If THEY are wrong however, there's a very pissed off deity waiting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ah let them have their little rant!  Those of us who believe in God can smile along knowing that if we're wrong, then nothing.  If THEY are wrong however, there's a very pissed off deity waiting!!!I have no issues with the belief of a god or a creator , The issues is with the religions its self , the parts that are devised to control and manipulate As someone said the belief in a god or creator is human nature, the controlling and demands of religion is not ,,
    I have no issues with the belief of a god or a creator ,

The issues is with the religions its self , the parts that are devised to control and manipulate

As someone said the belief in a god or creator is human nature, the controlling and demands of religion is not ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

The issues is with the religions its self , the parts that are devised to control and manipulate

As someone said the belief in a god or creator is human nature, the controlling and demands of religion is not ,

Religions evolved from people trying to understand the world and their existence.

Bureaucracy and power also grew and power corrupts, and as a result, those within the institutions used their power/influence to control and manipulate people.

We see this clearly in the actions of corporations today.

This does not mean that every church should be torn down and religions should be done away with as some fanciful stories we told ourselves in the "unenlightened times".

Comparisons to scientology do not hold any weight.

Religions evolved from people trying to understand the world and their existence.

Bureaucracy and power also grew and power corrupts, and as a result, those within the institutions used their power/influence to control and manipulate people.

We see this clearly in the actions of corporations today.

This does not mean that every church should be torn down and religions should be done away with as some fanciful stories we told ourselves in the "unenlightened times".

Comparisons to scientology do not hold any weight.
    Why do they hold no weight ? Its just proves people will follow anything ,
    People believing in god or anything is fine
    But Religion is to set certain laws around your believes to simply control and constrict you ,
    Religion has and always will be an instrument of control

But Religion is to set certain laws around your believes to simply control and constrict you ,

Never felt "controlled" by being Catholic and I'm a good kick in the arse off 50.

Nuns in school - yeah very much so but the faith itself ? Nothing but a comfort.

Never felt "controlled" by being Catholic and I'm a good kick in the arse off 50.

Nuns in school - yeah very much so but the faith itself ?  Nothing but a comfort.
    Ok where do we start,
    Here's a quick list of things opposed by the Catholic church that would have bettered its people
    [*]1944 – Tampons (may arouse women)
    [*]1950 – Mother & Child Scheme
    [*]1970 – Studying at Trinity College
    [*]1973 – Married women in the Civil Service
    [*]1985 – Contraception
    [*]1986 – Divorce
    [*]1993 – Decriminalisation of homosexuality
    [*]1996 – Divorce
    [*]2005 – Ferns report into child abuse
    [*]2010 – Civili Partnerships
    [*]2013 – Abortions if mother’s life was at risk
    [*]2015 – Equal Marriage
    [*]2018 – Abortion
     They still control 80 % of Primary schools. not baptised cant get in ,
    Used the positions of power  to control abused children for years ,
    Its endless,

Ok where do we start,
    Here's a quick list of things opposed by the Catholic church that would have bettered its people
    [*]1985 – Contraception
    [*]1986 – Divorce
    [*]1996 – Divorce
    [*]2015 – Equal Marriage
    [*]2018 – Abortion
    Its endless,

I'll pray for you. ;)

• Advertisement

Ok where do we start,
    [*]1985 – Contraception
    [*]1986 – Divorce
    [*]1996 – Divorce
    [*]2015 – Equal Marriage
    [*]2018 – Abortion
    Its endless,

I'll pray for you.  ;)
    I'm all for whatever helps you through life each to there own
    but no need to pray for me ,I don't belief in hocus pocus and have all it take's to get through my life without it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nuns in school - yeah very much so but the faith itself ? Nothing but a comfort.

I'm nearly 50 and I would say the CC had a controlling influence on my life to date.....maybe getting less so but still influencing it.

I was made to make a first communion, confirmation etc....I was too young to tell my parents I wasn't.

It took me to maybe 16 to stop attending masses.

Then a lot of my schooling was controlled by them as I went to Catholic schools. I had to study RE and Latin, no choice.

Even recently, I had to get my kids baptised to get them into the local schools, otherwise it was a >1hr drive to the nearest Educate Together school, and that wasn't practical. Plus they need to school with friends who live locally.

Their power is diminishing for sure, and nothing would make me happier for it to end, but we are getting there.

NIMAN wrote: »

Nuns in school - yeah very much so but the faith itself ?  Nothing but a comfort.

I'm nearly 50 and I would say the CC had a controlling influence on my life to date.....maybe getting less so but still influencing it.

I was made to make a first communion, confirmation etc....I was too young to tell my parents I wasn't.

It took me to maybe 16 to stop attending masses.

Then a lot of my schooling was controlled by them as I went to Catholic schools. I had to study RE and Latin, no choice.

Even recently, I had to get my kids baptised to get them into the local schools, otherwise it was a >1hr drive to the nearest Educate Together school, and that wasn't practical. Plus they need to school with friends who live locally.

Their power is diminishing for sure, and nothing would make me happier for it to end, but we are getting there.
    Isn't it crazy that some people like to pretend that the church never controlled life in Ireland,

Religion is responsible for around 8% of wars..

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1400766?guccounter=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

The trial of Ulster rugby players was a no go area with female staff members, who weren’t open to discussion or debate on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Try_harder wrote: »
    People should take the https://www.politicalcompass.org test

I'm near Ghandi!

You do know he was racist ?
    myshirt wrote: »
    Don't tell the Bride Pakistan version was a joke, not a real thing. I think these societies you are referring to are maturing, and when societies mature and develop they don't bring with them these type of abuses.

Maturing a bit like Michael Jackson. :rolleyes:

How come so many from some of these countries persevere with their arranged child marriages even after they have lived in the West for a number of years ?
    Shenshen wrote: »
    So, just to get my head around this, do you think that there are currently several millions of Syrians living in tent camps in Turkey and Lebanon because... they prefer the views from there?

That would be an unpopular opinion. Particularly in those camps, I would imagine.

Yes there are millions of Syrian refugees in overcrowded ill equipped camps in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey.
    And thanks to the so called "do gooders", a lot of which you find around here pontificating about helping refugees, those people will stay in those camps and will stay with poor resources.

Meanwhile the same do-gooders are welcoming in hundreds of thousands of mainly young adult male illegal economic migrants that are making their way across the Med in boats and that are nothing but a drain on resources.

Why do people always conflate economic migrants with refugees ?
    And then why do people assume all are Syrian ?

Is it because it just plays better and tugs at the old heart strings ?

I would bet that 99% of those crossing the Med from Libya and North Africa are not Syrian and probably couldn't even find the place on a map.
    And most of those are not from warn torn countries either.

And even of those that cross from Turkey it was admitted by the powers that be, including the pro "refugee" ones, that maybe only 60% were from Syria.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

KevinCavan wrote: »
    The trial of Ulster rugby players was a no go area with female staff members, who weren’t open to discussion or debate on the topic.
    Yeah, absolutely.  Incredible how few people believe in innocent before proven guilty.

Religion is responsible for around 8% of wars..

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1400766?guccounter=1
    If the details are infact true ,
    That 8 % may still be the biggest % of one thing that cause's war .,

Another unpopular opinion , Not mine but I read and listend to .
    One of the reason for Muslim fate in some middle eastern countries that has been hijacked by extremist is due to inbreeding ,
    I seen a very interesting podcast, where they spoke about the tradition in most of these Muslim countries that now harbour extremist's is one of marrying your first cousin ,
    Supposedly studies have show generation's of this practise, hugely lower's your IQ, makes people more violent, makes children more prone to still births and other issues, but also has huge factor is it seems to make people more  swayed to follow cults and dictation .
    Supposedly the Quran encourages it
    They think this is a reason the Muslim faith was hijacked by extremist in these countries,
    It was a very interesting listen, and the guys where professor's speaking not some lunes,
    It makes sense cause as bad as let say  Christianity is  , you really couldn't seen it being hi-jacked by loons and people to actually follow them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

One of the reason for Muslim fate in some middle eastern countries that has been hijacked by extremist is due to inbreeding ,
    I seen a very interesting podcast, where they spoke about the tradition in most of these Muslim countries that now harbour extremist's is one of marrying your first cousin ,
    Supposedly studies have show generation's of this practise, hugely lower's your IQ, makes people more violent, makes children more prone to still births and other issues, but also has huge factor is it seems to make people more  swayed to follow cults and dictation .
    They think this is a reason the Muslim faith was hijacked by extremist in these countries,
    It was a very interesting listen, and the guys where professor's speaking not some lunes,
    It makes sense cause as bad as let say  Christianity is  , you really couldn't seen it being hi-jacked by loons and people to actually follow them

Gavin McInness? Is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In terms of intelligence I think Stephen Fry is one of the most overrated TV personalities out there. He's described as a polymath but a polymath is someone who has reached expert level in several fields. Fry knows his way around English literature but knowing eclectic facts does not make one a polymath.

Its an interesting thought process that isn't really explored to explain people,
    In Ireland we have I think the highest cases of cystic fibrosis per country in Europe, a large reason why is for years we had a very very small gene pool from living on a  small island with little or no diversity , Although that is changing now

Think he said professors not brofessors.

Undividual wrote: »

Think he said professors not brofessors.
    McInness has spoke about it two, infact I heard him speak about it first and then went down the rabbit hole so to speak ,

Yeah, absolutely.  Incredible how few people believe in innocent before proven guilty.

I was glad when they were found innocent.

To the other women in the office you'd think I'd donned a strap on and raped her myself.

Vitriolic was not the word!!!

• Advertisement

To the other women in the office you'd think I'd donned a strap on and raped her myself.

Well technically they weren't found innocent, just not guilty. That's what the feminists say anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Its a very odd view to think things would be better or not without religion.

Religion WAS the creation of man trying to understand the world and make sense of it. It was/is a means of tribalism and control. It still offers purpose to people.

It makes no sense at all to think of man in the past without religion as it was the expression of his curiosity, logic, observations, culture, history.

It would be like saying emotion is the cause of most violence and we'd be better off without it. Its an integral part of our species especially in the past.

We have many things in our current culture that act like religion that have different names. Our beliefs have moved on to things more proven in science, yet the approach we take to many components of those findings are the same approaches that created religion.

Well technically they weren't found innocent, just not guilty. That's what the feminists say anyway.
    But in the laws eyes your innocent till proven guilty , There for if they where not proven guilty they where innocent :)

I thought rape was a male verb?

But in the laws eyes your innocent till proven guilty , There for if they where not proven guilty they where innocent :)
    You'd think that but it seems the women of Ireland know more about law then...well...actual lawyers.

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »

Religion WAS the creation of man trying to understand the world and make sense of it. It was/is a means of tribalism and control. It still offers purpose to people.

It makes no sense at all to think of man in the past without religion as it was the expression of his curiosity, logic, observations, culture, history.

It would be like saying emotion is the cause of most violence and we'd be better off without it. Its an integral part of our species especially in the past.

We have many things in our current culture that act like religion that have different names. Our beliefs have moved on to things more proven in science, yet the approach we take to many components of those findings are the same approaches that created religion.
    Beliefs and religion's are very different things,
    Just cause something happened in the past that lead to the future does not make it right,
    Murder has always been a part of human culture for even longer than religion and has helped shape the world as we know it today, (for instance if the native Americans weren't all murdered we wouldn't have the USA as we know it today ) but we'd still be better of without murder in the world.,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A lot of this new feminism seems to infantilise women.

They're painted out as being weak, naive creatures who are incapable of doing wrong. They must be believed at all costs.

Like a toddler, no agency. Only big bad men have the capacity for wrongdoing.

The irony of this being sexist doesn't seem to register with them.

manonboard wrote: »

Beliefs and religion's are very different things,
    Just cause something happened in the past that lead to the future does not make it right,
    Are beliefs and religions very different things?  I would say that a belief is privately held, whereas a religion is at the very least a shared belief that eventually gathers followers and infrastructure.  You can debate about the negative effects of organized religions, but the truth is that every human social system is open to extreme abuse and corruption.  Big corporations, governments and militaries have all committed awful acts without any need for religion. 

Also, who defines what's right?

A religion has rules, practises to follow to be a part of,
    A belief is something personal that is free to grow and change ,
    "governments and militaries have all committed awful acts without any need for religion "
    Governments and militaries have committed awful acts countless times due to religious beliefs .,

A religion has rules, practises to follow to be a part of,
    A belief is something personal that is free to grow and change ,
    "governments and militaries have all committed awful acts without any need for religion "
    Governments and militaries have committed awful acts countless times due to religious beliefs .,
    Religions are free to grow and change.
    Yes they have, but would you agree that that is a declining trend in secular societies?

The idea of a world without religion seems to be preceded by the idea that logic can replace superstition.  The problem with that is that there are certain questions logic cannot address (such as creation and death).  If all religions were disbanded tomorrow, what would stop a new religion springing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A publicly unacceptable opinion is that Shane Moseley was wronged when he had to give over his championship belt to his wife following their divorce.

Completely wrong and I don't give a bollox that she 'supported him an made it possible'. He was the man who got in the ring and fought. Not her. F*ck sake, let the man hold on to his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

myshirt wrote: »
    A publicly unacceptable opinion is that Shane Moseley was wronged when he had to give over his championship belt to his wife following their divorce.

Completely wrong and I don't give a bollox that she 'supported him an made it possible'. He was the man who got in the ring and fought. Not her. F*ck sake, let the man hold on to his belt.
    Yes, grossly unfair. Imagine doing that somebody. She took three off him.

He spent his whole life working for those belts, long before he met her.

Why would she want them anyway. They're replicas and only of value to him. What a spiteful weirdo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Burning churches to the ground.

It's a lot easier in Scandinavia where lots of them are made out of wood, and it's been done, and I'm not saying it's a good thing.

But I can indentify with the sentiment that's for sure

To what end? 

I understand the negative sentiment towards the Catholic church, but some churches are beautiful buildings.  Although the religion itself seems to be dying in Ireland, perhaps they should be kept as a reminder of the dangers of blind faith.

In Dublin at least, knock most of 'em down for public housing. The land is valuable, the woo ceremonies to a half dozen midweek attendees are not, and they could go elsewhere anyway.

Plough up every golf course in Dublin for public housing, while you're at it. Full of old self-entitled farts who spend their days worrying about people wearing the wrong type of trousers while half arsedly hitting a ball around. Pathetic. It's dying off at a slower rate than the RCC but it's still dying off, and I shall not weep for either.

Would you also agree that faith can be a source of strength that atheism cannot?  Atheism appears to me to be a spiritual void, though I consider myself an atheist.

I consider a grip on reality as a great source of strength, myself.

hawkwing wrote: »
    The amount of publicity dog shyte gets whereas cat shyte is a much more serious matter. It is one of the greatest evils,just walk in both and smell your shoes,may as well throw away the "cat" one :(

They bury it in the garden of that neighbour you don't like though, instead of depositing it in the middle of the footpath.

Plus I haven't been to Mass in a few weeks

edgy or sarcasm?

KevinCavan wrote: »

It was a no-go area with the mrs. so I quickly learned to shut up. But their being nasty arseholes is not a crime.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes there are millions of Syrian refugees in overcrowded ill equipped camps in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey.

They're stuck there because they're not rich enough to manage to enter the EU via the Greek islands or overland. The ones who do are largely middle-class and once one of them gets in the family reunification thing will see the rest in.
    I would bet that 99% of those crossing the Med from Libya and North Africa are not Syrian and probably couldn't even find the place on a map.
    And most of those are not from warn torn countries either.

Well of course they bloody aren't. Navies are supposed to sink illegal vessels...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Dunno if it's been mentioned already. I recently had an argument with 2 women, one of them my wife. Both women neither watch or play sport but got highly offended by my following opinion.

Women's teams sport will never be as popular as men's teams sports. I had to emphasis the 'team sports' bit as I think some individual sports are on a par with mens.

Crazy how shocked they got at me even suggesting it, but I'll stand by it. Might not be an publicly unacceptable opinion, just an opinion my wife finds unacceptable ?!?

edgy or sarcasm?

To be honest I'm not sure which one of those attributes is supposed to be the more insulting anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Never gonna win a ruck with a Ban Button. So, I, generally, keep my mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Only property or land owning people in gainful employment should have the right to vote.

If you don't have a vested interest in the governance of the country or something to lose then you shouldn't have a voice in the outcome.

It's become very clear as of late party's are buying the unemployed vote/people seeking citizenship to go on social welfare vote.

Unpopular perhaps but I think as it is currently is unsustainable and leading us down a dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That all men must essentially or potentially be scum thanks to that MeToo nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The women's hockey team got destroyed in the biggest match any of them will ever play in, but they celebrated like they'd won the thing.

Does any country celebrate failure like Ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The women's hockey team got destroyed in the biggest match any of them will ever play in, but they celebrated like they'd won the thing.

We are celebrating women, not the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Considering they where the second lowest ranked team in the tournament . They far exceeded expectations. So no, getting a silver medal is not a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Oh youre so risque and edgy... yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Considering they where the second lowest ranked team in the tournament . They far exceeded expectations. So no, getting a silver medal is not a failure.

They were 16th in the world, which isn’t ever mentioned. Only that they were ranked second lowest as if they were 105th or something. Hardly the Faroe Islands.

edgy or sarcasm?

Pure sarcasm at the expense of those comparing my faith to a scam like Scientology.

• Advertisement

We are celebrating women, not the loss.

Why were we ???

I couldn't give two sh**es about the gender of the protagonist - I'm made up we got to a world final and beat one of the leading lights in the sport on the way.

Why do some people have to bring everything down to wimmin!

Advertisement