Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MINI One 1.4 2008 battery flat

• 01-08-2018 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi my daughter's MINI One R56 1.4 with about 145000km had a flat battery this weekend. She drives about 550km per month and that is mostly on weekends so the car does sit for quite long periods.

Background- the AGM battery that was in the car was replaced around February as it would not take a charge.

At the time my internet research indicated that I did not need to get a new AGM battery and that a regular lead acid would be fine with perhaps the loss of the stop start function.

So I fitted a lead acid and she has now had two occasions where the car would not start.

Once charged it was fine again.

Do I really need to buy an AGM (glass mat battery)?
    Do I really need to have it coded or setup to the car by a scan tool?
    Could I just code the existing lead acid battery to the car?
    Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks for any help on this.

Richard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Hi my daughter's MINI One R56 1.4 with about 145000km had a flat battery this weekend. She drives about 550km per month and that is mostly on weekends so the car does sit for quite long periods.

Background- the AGM battery that was in the car was replaced around February as it would not take a charge.

At the time my internet research indicated that I did not need to get a new AGM battery and that a regular lead acid would be fine with perhaps the loss of the stop start function.

So I fitted a lead acid and she has now had two occasions where the car would not start.

Once charged it was fine again.

Do I really need to buy an AGM (glass mat battery)?
    Do I really need to have it coded or setup to the car by a scan tool?
    Could I just code the existing lead acid battery to the car?
    Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks for any help on this.

Richard

Is it used mainly for short trips or long trips?

If short trips and then left sitting this could be the reason the battery is dying.

Other than that the only think it could possibly be is a drain on the battery somewhere that an auto electrician will have to diagnose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

That's great advice and i may just charge it up once a month as her journeys are short.

Is there anyone with specific MINI advice to ad to the mix?

anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No need to try to bump thread. If someone can answer they will.

I am moving this to main forum where you will get some more exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Does it have BMS? Battery monitoring system? You can tell if the battery earth point has a second thin wire coming out of a matchbox sized box attached to the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hot weather can do just as much damage to a battery as freezing temps. Did the mechanic check the alternator when changing the battery? Could be on the way out.

I will check if it has the smart system next time I see her. Most likely on Sunday.

I did not check the alternator when i changed the battery. I will do that too.

Advertisement