Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Preseason Thread

• 01-08-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The nfl season is still a few weeks away, but the annual false dawn that is the preseason is here upon us. With something approximating real football finally back on the air tomorrow, I thought I'd start a thread for people to talk about what they'll be looking out for from their own teams in these meaningless games?

Any training camp heroes you're looking out for?
    Do you care about the results?
    Are you going to just pray that nobody important gets injured?
    Or do you want to just complain about the existence/length of the preseason?

I'm always excited in the run up to preseason because it means there's football on, but it quickly dissipates after a few minutes of watching it. Still...

Bears v Ravens tomorrow in the Hof game, teams chosen to represent the two greatest linebackers of their generation about to be inducted.

Personally I hope they don't play trubisky or Howard, or Miller who by all accounts is looking good at wr. I hope we do see Kevin white and he does something, anything, that makes me think he's something even marginally more than a bust. After that I guess I'm just interested to see who impressed among the back up guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The nfl season is still a few weeks away, but the annual false dawn that is the preseason is here upon us. With something approximating real football finally back on the air tomorrow, I thought I'd start a thread for people to talk about what they'll be looking out for from their own teams in these meaningless games?

No training camp heroes in particular but I do like to see some player who no one is expecting to do anything and they make the roster.
    No, preseason is all about performances not results.
    Well, obviously no injuries at all is a good thing.
    No the preseason is a good thing given the restrictions on training camp with the current CBA. The players need as many live bullets before week 1 than before.

I'm in a very different position this off season as an Eagles fan. This is new territory for us Eagles fans. Its slightly exciting but also a bit worrying as the Eagles are the team to beat now, when in other years we weren't. I'm also curious how the wentz/foles thing works itself out. I'm also looking forward to the Americas game episode featuring the Eagles.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Yes. Teo Redding, a big bodied wide reciever who has looked good so far, coming in as an UDFA. Look forward to seeing him live in action.

Not really, but when watching the games I can't help but root for the Lions to win even though I know it doesn't matter. Must be force of habit.

On injuries, I remember last year, Kerry Hyder, (who prior to 2016 was just a practice squad pawn piece, travelling from franchise to franchise, broke out for the Lions notching 8 sacks) tore his Achilles on only his second snap of the preseason, so he was unable to build on his previous years exploits. Injuries must be a nightmare in the back of players minds during this part of the year.

I don't mind the length of the preseason at all. As Itssoeasy says, it gives players much needed reps against other opposition rather than their own team-mates.

Looking forward to see a new Lions team moulded by Patricia.
    The Lions fired their awful O-Line coach, so hoping that there may be some improvement in the run game this year. I'm not convinced though by the D-line or the LB's. There's gonna be huge change in scheme there too, so might take a bit of time before they get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Lamar Jackson gets so much coverage the media forget he wasn’t the first Ravens pick in the draft. By all accounts 25th overall pick TE Hayden Hurst has had a great camp. He spent a few years in baseball like Brandon Weedon did, emm I hope he has more success.

Matt Skura is an undrafted player from Duke. In 2017 he was an excellent guard and he can win the vacant starting center job.

Hoping Ravens secondary to stay healthy. It’s been riddled with injuries for the last few seasons costing us huge. On paper it’s quite strong and there is depth so I just want it to progress and the younger players to do well.

There must be 6-7 young wide receivers in camp but no established returner. It’ll be how one of them will win a job. The team has been missing an established exciting returner since Jacoby Jones and I hope someone will emerge. Despite this the special teams are quite efficient and well coached

Results - don’t care at all

Sneaky prediction, RGIII will have an amazing preseason and get himself a trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd really like to see RGIII make a comeback, he was such an exciting player in his first season, a reason to tune in of a Sunday. That was a long time ago now, and I think it's fair to say those days are behind him, but we can hope. Isn't that what this time of year is all about for a football fan?

Another reason to tune in tonight, or during the preseason generally, will be to get a first look at how the new helmet rules will be called by refs. I expect it to be a flag festival in order to lay down a marker for teams as to what they should be doing come the real stuff next month.

The Chicago Bears are arriving to the stadium in Canton, Ohio.

Is the change of the game day because of the mess with the field two years ago ?

• Advertisement

Lamar Jackson is in the building with a gold backpack with him. Haha I like it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Chicago Bears are arriving to the stadium in Canton, Ohio.

Is the change of the game day because of the mess with the field two years ago ?

I had not heard about that, just read about it on Wiki, Jaysus that was some comedy of errors! No idea if the change in schedule was related.

From Wiki: "The 2016 edition, which was scheduled to be played between the Green Bay Packers and the Indianapolis Colts, was canceled due to unsafe playing conditions. Mike Silver of NFL.com reported that on the morning of game day, the logos at midfield and the end zones had been painted using paint which was not intended for use on artificial turf. When it was apparent the paint wasn't drying fast enough, the field was heated to speed up the drying process, but this caused the turf's rubber to melt. These issues led to unfavorable play conditions. The affected areas were described as being slick and "like cement," making it impossible to get decent footing. Stadium officials attempted to address this by applying a solvent, reportedly paint thinner, to the turf. A Packers employee noticed a label warning that this substance could result in burns when exposed to skin, and alerted others to the discovery. When officially cancelling the game, both the league and the Players Association cited safety concerns.[2][3][4] Both teams were told at 6:40 p.m.—an hour and 20 minutes before kickoff—that the game was going to be canceled. However, fans in the stadium only learned of the pending cancellation via social media. No official announcement was made until just before the scheduled 8 p.m. kickoff"

Still, as bad as that was for the fans, it could have been worse, they might have had to watch the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

mikemac2 wrote: »
    By all accounts 25th overall pick TE Hayden Hurst has had a great camp. He spent a few years in baseball like Brandon Weedon did, emm I hope he has more success.

Sneaky prediction, RGIII will have an amazing preseason and get himself a trade

Well played sir. Hurst looked genuinely useful, while RGIII played like a *good* backup - and that INT was not on him.

geeky wrote: »
    Well played sir. Hurst looked genuinely useful, while RGIII played like a *good* backup - and that INT was not on him.

Yeah I thought he looked passable, certainly the best QB on the field, don't think he'll have trouble picking up with a team going on yesterday. Psychologically it has to be tough going out and grinding like that against second and third string guys in early August to try and latch on with a contract when you're a one-time superstar, former rookie of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

No need to watch the pre-season Broncos have already won it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Barkley 1st play went for 39 yards. Great run, showed patience and quality.

Mayfield has looked good since he came in. Not at all phased, plenty of poise, and a quick release. Optimistic for the Browns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Knex. wrote:
    Mayfield has looked good since he came in. Not at all phased, plenty of poise, and a quick release. Optimistic for the Browns.

Well I'm looking at him and thinking he is going to get killed. He is standing up trying to throw with linemen all over him. He needs to learn to go down and take the sack. If he doesn't I think he will have a very short career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I'm looking at him and thinking he is going to get killed. He is standing up trying to throw with linemen all over him. He needs to learn to go down and take the sack. If he doesn't I think he will have a very short career.

I've seen some similar opinions on social media this morning, most of them coming from people that slated him in the run up to the draft. To be honest I dont think he could do anything right in these peoples eyes, if he escaped the pocket during these pressures people would say he had no pocket presense/moves at the first sign of pressure/playing scared etc
    I thought he had a decent game, showed good pocket presence, accuracy and a good arm. Obviously its only the 1st preseason game, so i wont be getting to excited, but it was a good start for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Easier to learn that than it is to learn poise, touch and accuracy.

Giants rolled out Davis Webb and he went the Ryan Mallet route of throwing inaccurate fast balls every down and looking extremely jittery. It's his second year too. Baker was far and away above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Good game from Lamar Jackson including juking around defenders for a TD.

Reminds me of rookie Tyrod Taylor who did the same in pre season against Todd Haley’s Chiefs :)

Encouraging but he won’t see much of the field until 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Did anyone watch the Bills/Panthers? Was Josh Allen up to much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

phatkev wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the Bills/Panthers? Was Josh Allen up to much?

He made one of the best throws you'll see all season.

https://gfycat.com/FakeEagerAmericancrocodile

I only saw the highlights, and read that he made some mistakes, but his arm strength is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Waiting over 8 months to see the 49ers on the field only for them to get 5 injuries to first/second string players in the first 16 minutes of the first preseason game… :mad::mad::mad::mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Pretty much the entire draft class -

1. Bradley Chubb OLB/DE has been disruptive and is going to have a long and very successful NFL career
    2. Courtland Sutton WR has been awesome in TC - catching everything thrown his way against a really good defensive backfield.
    3. Royce Freeman RB has been a bulldozers churning out yards, with the speed to break runs. He will likely be the Broncos starting RB by week 1
    4. Isaac Yaidom CB - the Broncos liked his raw talent when they coached him at the Senior Bowl, but he has shown adept at developing his technique during training camp and never gets beat deep. He has moved up the depth chart and is currently the No.3 CB (with Trumaine Brock out injured).
    5. Josey Jewell ILB - the Broncos have had a problem over the past couple of seasons covering TEs, Jewell has the size, speed and technique to assist and has been showing up big-time in training camp.
    6. DeaShaun Hamilton WR - if Sutton is known for size, speed and the ability to haul in a pass, Hamilton is a perfect route runner - always in the right place at the right time to catch a pass. He will be the Broncos slot receiver for many years to come.
    7. Troy Fumagalli TE - Big play ability from this TE - he has already shot up the depth chart. Will like be one of three TEs on the Broncos roster this season.
    8. Sam Jones OG - low round OL take time to develop, Jones has already passed Menelik Watson and Max Garcia (not a tall order)
    9. Keishawn Bierria LB - with the strength of the Broncos at LB Bierria is flashing in special teams and will be a special teams ace this season
    10. David Williams RB - after several years of mediocrity at RB the Broncos now have a stable of young RBs who are competing for time - every one of them is showing up, including Williams who has broken several big runs in TC.

On top of the draft picks this year - the Broncos welcome Jake Butt and Chad Kelly who sat out the entire of last year with injuries. The Broncos have had issues at TE for years - Butt was a potential high draft pick until he suffered an ACL - he is showing that he would have been worth the high pick so far in camp. Kelly hasn't thrown a pass in anger in 18 months, but in the last two weeks has shown up Paxton Lynch as a major bust. Kelly is still learning but has shown big-play ability in flashes in camp.

The Broncos also have a good record with UDFAs - with current Broncos CJ Harris Jr and Shaq Barrett among the successful UDFAs on the roster. This year the Broncos have a couple with the potential of making the roster -
    1. Jeff Holland OLB - it was a big surprised that Holland went undrafted, in a crowded OLB corps Holland has more than held his own and could secure a roster spot - if he doesn't there will be a queue of teams looking to sign him.
    2. Phillip Lindsay RB - has flashed big-play ability during camp with good moves and speed in the open field. Will likely make the roster as a kick returner.

And a couple of first year players
    1. River Cracraft WR - signed to the Broncos practice squad last year but released on an injury settlement - has been showing up in camp - working predominantly with the 2s and 3s he was given first team reps when DT and Sanders were given a vet day off - and showed that he could haul in a pass. Currently penciled in as the no.5/6 WR on the roster.
    2. Tim Patrick WR - bounced from Baltimore to SF before being released last September - in exactly the same boat as Cracraft - and will likely be the no.5/6 WR on the roster.

Others who have been making major strides -

1. Shelby Harris DE - after bouncing around several teams since being drafted by the Raiders in the 7th in 2014, things have clicked for Harris. He was productive last season but looks to have made major strides forward in TC.
    2. Demaryius Thomas WR - this might seem odd - Bay-Bay has been playing hurt for the past two seasons with hip problems and even contemplated retirement at the end of last season. He is now healthy and is showing form that is back to the heights of the SB season.
    3. Connor McGovern OG - the Broncos have been developing McGovern slowly over the past couple of seasons - but McGovern has now stepped up into the starting OL and is showing he deserves to be there.
    4. DeMarcus Walker DE - after an utterly stupid and failed attempt to have Walker play OLB last season, Walker has now bulked up and is showing 2nd round ability at DE.

One other noteworthy mention - Marquette King P - the guy is a nutjob - but he is booming punts consistently inside the 5 yard line.

Now with all these players pushing for roster spots - some will have to be cut - already gone from last season are - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, CJ Anderson, Jamaal Charles, Bennie Fowler, Cody Latimer, Virgil Green, Allen Barbre, Donald Stephenson, Elijah Wilkinson, Jared Crick, Riley Dixon, Billy Winn - top of the list to join them are the following -

Carlos Henderson WR - the former 3rd rounder hasn't shown up to camp
    Max Garcia OG - the guy has been a donkey for two year
    Michael Hunter CB - has been passed out by several others
    Jordan Taylor WR - Injured at the moment and others are showing they can play.
    Jeff Heuerman TE - despite being listed as the starting TE on the depth chart, the guy is being passed out by Traylor, Butt and Fumagalli.

Others who should be gone are -
    Menelik Watson OT/G - the guy is useless, always injured (and would cost over $8million in dead cap money) - we are stuck with him.
    Paxton Lynch QB - please, oh please, someone offer a draft pick (any draft pick) - the guy is useless and has $4.5million in dead cap money. Hell - I would even do a Texans and offer someone a 7th to take him off our hands.
    Of course - you always want to win - the most important part of these games is to see how the 1s compare to the opposition starters.
    I don't pray - but it would be a disaster for the Broncos if any of the five starting OL went down with injury - there is absolutely nothing behind them. It would wreck the season.
    Nope - preseason is necessary to separate the wheat from the chaff, to give young players a chance and to install new schemes (the Broncos have dumped McCoy's dumpster-fire of a scheme and Musgrave has installed a scheme, similar to what he ran with the Raiders, that is tailored for Keenum and the talent on the Broncos offense).

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    No need to watch the pre-season Broncos have already won it

And what is wrong with winning pre-season ?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Watched the Jets v Atlanta first half, went to bed and missed the second half. Was 17-0 Jets at ht. Bridgewater looked good and so did Sam Darnold. Crowell and Bilal Powell got some good time. Just checked the result and it was 17-0. Must have missed a thrilling second half. Atlanta looked terriblr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ask last year's Cleveland Browns or the 2008 Detroit Lions.

Well the browns went 4-0 last pre season and we know how well that turned out.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the browns went 4-0 last pre season and we know how well that turned out.

Just because they were sh*te for the season still does not mean there is anything wrong with winning pre-season.

You point to the Browns - but the Ravens went 4-0 the season and won the SB - a couple of years later the Pats went 4-0 and won the SB

Pre-season results are no predictor of regular season form - and there is still nothing wrong with going 4-0.

As a fan I want the Broncos to win every game - including pre-season.

Just because they were sh*te for the season still does not mean there is anything wrong with winning pre-season.

You point to the Browns - but the Ravens went 4-0 the season and won the SB - a couple of years later the Pats went 4-0 and won the SB

Pre-season results are no predictor of regular season form - and there is still nothing wrong with going 4-0.

As a fan I want the Broncos to win every game - including pre-season.

This sentence seems to have no relationship to how you generally post about news from pre-season and training camp.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This sentence seems to have no relationship to how you generally post about news from pre-season and training camp.

Perhaps you could demonstrate from the comments that I have made here over the past couple of weeks?

Plus - what is the point of being a fan if you are not optimistic before the start of the season ?

I presume JRG is behind the Boards outage so we couldn’t talk about the Broncos season defining defeat last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

An absolutely perfect tackle. Head up, lead with the shoulder.

And the refs still threw a flag :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/BradKelly17/status/1028503970380214275?s=19

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I see the Broncos have lost the preseason championship already.

• Advertisement

JaMarcus wrote: »
    An absolutely perfect tackle. Head up, lead with the shoulder.

And the refs still threw a flag :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/BradKelly17/status/1028503970380214275?s=19

If anything the flag should have been thrown on the offensive player for lowering his head first. Going to be a mess this year.

Safe to say hands firmly placed on nerve with a certain someones comments. The cool kids would say triggered. Go Broncos

Perhaps you could demonstrate from the comments that I have made here over the past couple of weeks?

Plus - what is the point of being a fan if you are not optimistic before the start of the season ?

I know you're going through a tough time after the big loss last night so I don't want to pile on too much.

Of course fans can be optimistic but your posting style goes beyond hyperbolic when you're talking about camp, with everything is absolutes. I could give numerous examples from just the post from earlier yesterday, where you used terms like 'never', 'always', 'perfect' to describe rookies that hadn't seen anything aside from the practice field. Here's another example of where you could just say 'Sutton is having a good camp' and instead you choose:
    Training camp tip for Offensive Rookie of the Year -

Courtland Sutton - WR - Denver Broncos.

The guy is catching everything thrown his way against a very good defence.

You're free to post whatever you like but you can't be surprised when people later respond to some of your previous 'hot takes' when things don't go that way.

Well to be fair, Courtland Sutton had one catch for 3 yards last night. If that doesn't translate to 'Canton bound...' I don't know what will.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This pretty much sums up what preseason win mean.

nn86lf.jpg

I know you're going through a tough time after the big loss last night so I don't want to pile on too much.
    And why would be having a 'tough time' about football - particularly pre-season? There are far more important things in life than supporting a football team
    Of course fans can be optimistic but your posting style goes beyond hyperbolic when you're talking about camp, with everything is absolutes. I could give numerous examples from just the post from earlier yesterday, where you used terms like 'never', 'always', 'perfect' to describe rookies that hadn't seen anything aside from the practice field.
    fans use all types of words to describe players all the time - a couple of comments before my post JeMarcus described Allen's arm strength as 'absolutely ridiculous' and then later posted a tweet and described a tackle as an 'absolutely perfect tackle' - except it was a penalty.
    Here's another example of where you could just say 'Sutton is having a good camp' and instead you choose:
    And what is wrong with making an early tip for OROY? I said it was a 'training camp tip' - but you, like others, insist on reading way too much into my comments - as demonstrated by the following post
    Well to be fair, Courtland Sutton had one catch for 3 yards last night. If that doesn't translate to 'Canton bound...' I don't know what will.

So did I say that Courtland Sutton was a 'training camp tip' for OROY or 'Canton bound'?
    You're free to post whatever you like but you can't be surprised when people later respond to some of your previous 'hot takes' when things don't go that way.
    And you are free to respond to anything I post - except most of the time people don't respond to my actual posts but make comments like the one above from jack.

• Advertisement

So - let's go back to my 'hot takes'
    1. Bradley Chubb OLB/DE has been disruptive and is going to have a long and very successful NFL career
    Chubb played with the starters and had one tackle
    2. Courtland Sutton WR has been awesome in TC - catching everything thrown his way against a really good defensive backfield.
    Targeted three times for one catch - Lynch doesn't look beyond his first read - and that is always a receiver going over the middle
    3. Royce Freeman RB has been a bulldozers churning out yards, with the speed to break runs. He will likely be the Broncos starting RB by week 1
    4 carries - 38 yards - including a 23 yard rumble where he burst through the hole.
    4. Isaac Yaidom CB - the Broncos liked his raw talent when they coached him at the Senior Bowl, but he has shown adept at developing his technique during training camp and never gets beat deep. He has moved up the depth chart and is currently the No.3 CB (with Trumaine Brock out injured).
    Made some mistakes but showed good technique - and didn't get beat deep - finished with 3 tackles.
    5. Josey Jewell ILB - the Broncos have had a problem over the past couple of seasons covering TEs, Jewell has the size, speed and technique to assist and has been showing up big-time in training camp.
    Played solidly at ILB and had 3 tackles and two assists
    6. DeaShaun Hamilton WR - if Sutton is known for size, speed and the ability to haul in a pass, Hamilton is a perfect route runner - always in the right place at the right time to catch a pass. He will be the Broncos slot receiver for many years to come.
    Was targeted once by Lynch on a perfectly run route and broke up what should have been an INT when Lynch threw it behind him.
    7. Troy Fumagalli TE - Big play ability from this TE - he has already shot up the depth chart. Will like be one of three TEs on the Broncos roster this season.
    Didn't play due to injury
    8. Sam Jones OG - low round OL take time to develop, Jones has already passed Menelik Watson and Max Garcia (not a tall order)
    Played well with the 3rd string offence
    9. Keishawn Bierria LB - with the strength of the Broncos at LB Bierria is flashing in special teams and will be a special teams ace this season
    Had two tackles with the 3rd string defence - but played well on special teams except for a face mask penalty late in the game.
    10. David Williams RB - after several years of mediocrity at RB the Broncos now have a stable of young RBs who are competing for time - every one of them is showing up, including Williams who has broken several big runs in TC.
    Had 3 carries with 7 yards - didn't get much of an opportunity
    The Broncos have had issues at TE for years - Butt was a potential high draft pick until he suffered an ACL - he is showing that he would have been worth the high pick so far in camp.
    Was held out as a precaution as he works his way back in from an ACL
    Kelly hasn't thrown a pass in anger in 18 months, but in the last two weeks has shown up Paxton Lynch as a major bust. Kelly is still learning but has shown big-play ability in flashes in camp.
    Lynch was a major embarrassment on Sat - the guy can't play QB and he is worse now than he was in college. He finished 6/11 for 24 yards and an INT with a passer rating of 22.

Kelly on the other hand lit the game up when he came on - it was a good competition between Kelly and Sloter (who the Broncos should never have released). Kelly made some mistakes - but in an interview afterwards he identified the mistakes and knows what he has to do to correct them. He finished 14/21 for 177 with 2TDs and an INT. He also had 38 yards on three scrambles. It doesn't make him a world beater - but he deserves 2nd team reps which he hasn't got any of so far this training camp.
    1. Jeff Holland OLB - it was a big surprised that Holland went undrafted, in a crowded OLB corps Holland has more than held his own and could secure a roster spot - if he doesn't there will be a queue of teams looking to sign him.
    Played really well with the 3rd defence - including getting a sack and putting a lot of pressure on Sloter off the edge.
    2. Phillip Lindsay RB - has flashed big-play ability during camp with good moves and speed in the open field. Will likely make the roster as a kick returner.
    Again - flashed some big play ability - took a pass from Kelly on a screen, juked a defender and tip-toed up the sideline for 19 yards. Finished with 3 receptions for 40 yards and 7 yds on 2 carries.
    1. River Cracraft WR - signed to the Broncos practice squad last year but released on an injury settlement - has been showing up in camp - working predominantly with the 2s and 3s he was given first team reps when DT and Sanders were given a vet day off - and showed that he could haul in a pass. Currently penciled in as the no.5/6 WR on the roster.
    Was targeted three times - once by Lynch with an under-thrown ball and twice by Kelly in the final drive in the hurry up - did have one good punt return for 13 yds.
    2. Tim Patrick WR - bounced from Baltimore to SF before being released last September - in exactly the same boat as Cracraft - and will likely be the no.5/6 WR on the roster.
    was targeted three times - caught all three - once by Lynch for 5 yds and gained 20 yds off two from Kelly.
    One other noteworthy mention - Marquette King P - the guy is a nutjob - but he is booming punts consistently inside the 5 yard line.
    47yd punt - no return
    45 yd punt - no return
    43 yds - no return
    62 yds - returned for 9 yds but brought back for offensive holding by Vikes
    41 yds - no return
    57 yds - 11 yd return
    43 yds - Broncos were called for a face mask - 12 yd return

7 punts - with a net average of 45 yds - one inside the 20 - but he was mostly punting from deep inside the Broncos half

Stand-out player for the Broncos was Will Parks - 5 tackles and a sack from the Safety position - and he was involved in practically every play while he was on the field.

And by the way - take note - the Broncos decided not to have Von Miller or ILB Todd Davis suit up for the game.

So - have at my hyperbole.

TLDR but it’s training camp and preseason week 1. Don’t get too excited about the highs and don’t get too negative about the lows (major injuries excluded).

Unless you’re in the media and have 24/7 schedules to fill, there’s no need for ‘hot takes’ in August. Take it for what it is. Practice.

TLDR but it’s training camp and preseason week 1. Don’t get too excited about the highs and don’t get too negative about the lows (major injuries excluded).

Unless you’re in the media and have 24/7 schedules to fill, there’s no need for ‘hot takes’ in August. Take it for what it is. Practice.

The OP asked the following questions -

I answered in a comprehensive fashion.

Other people are using the term 'hot takes' - I didn't - I outlined a certain optimism about this years draft class for the Broncos (as well as a couple of UDFAs) because last year's draft was an utter disaster - the Broncos draft eight players, only one of whom contributed, Garrett Bolles LT and he was a penalty machine.

Furthermore - I gave a 'training camp tip' - only one other poster went with the spirit of the post and posted an alternative - everyone else who posted for some reason went off on one.

Now let me ask you - who is doing the over-reacting here? because I certainly am not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I know some of you guys are getting tired reading JRG's Broncos hype, but I am getting just as tired reading the response to it.

Anyway, that guy Callaway for the Browns looks fairly handy. Pretty nuts that they played the kid with all that is going on, but his 3/87 and a touchdown looked pretty good last night. He is very fast and shifty. I hadn't seen him play before and I was expecting a long rangy player. I read now he has been compared in skillset and physical shape (not ability) to Percy Harvin and I can see why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is the preseason thread and I for one like to reach about players and games that I don't get to see.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    I know some of you guys are getting tired reading JRG's Broncos hype, but I am getting just as tired reading the response to it.

Fair enough, I’m out on that going forward.
    Anyway, that guy Callaway for the Browns looks fairly handy. Pretty nuts that they played the kid with all that is going on, but his 3/87 and a touchdown looked pretty good last night. He is very fast and shifty. I hadn't seen him play before and I was expecting a long rangy player. I read now he has been compared in skillset and physical shape (not ability) to Percy Harvin and I can see why.

Interesting that he was kept in for most of the game as punishment for his legal issues that surfaced. All well and good till he picks up a needless injury (which he allegedly did). Not the smartest coaching from Jackson I don’t think.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is the preseason thread and I for one like to reach about players and games that I don't get to see.

As do I and we’re probably all a bit biased towards our own teams, in both a positive and negative sense but you’ve gotta try and take off the homer goggles some of the time!

By the way - would anyone like to encourage their team to trade for Paxton Lynch - a conditional 7th rounder would be more than acceptable.

This thread is hilarious.

Just a quick comment on the top four QBs that were drafted -

Baker Mayfield looked good - but it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers and a poor Giants defence. The guy looks like he needs a bit of time but will be a player. The big question mark over him is still his maturity.

Sam Darnold - apparently Darnold had a very shaky week in practice but it didn't look like it. his footwork was good, his decision making was good, his mobility was good the only thing he seemed to fall down on was accuracy with on the deep ball. He looked ready to be a starter .

Josh Allen - some good, some bad but I was more impressed than I expected to be - as JeMarcus commented, one spectacular although I doubt he gets it against a better defence. Some of his decisions were terrible - some very good and he was a threat once he escaped the pocket. I always felt that Allen had the potential to be a big bust - I am not convinced yet he won't be a bust, but he certainly has tools to work with.

Josh Rosen - for a QB touted by many before the draft as the most pro-ready - he looked terrible, poor decisions, poor throws and overall a poor game. Maybe the question marks about his attitude to the sport are proving to be true.

And a follow-up to the weekend games - Broncos safety Jamal Carter is out for the season with a torn hamstring needing surgery and extensive rehab. He was and important special teams player and doing well in TC and likely would have been an important piece of the roster - a major disappointment.

Just a quick comment on the top four QBs that were drafted -

Baker Mayfield looked good - but it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers and a poor Giants defence. The guy looks like he needs a bit of time but will be a player. The big question mark over him is still his maturity.

Sam Darnold - apparently Darnold had a very shaky week in practice but it didn't look like it. his footwork was good, his decision making was good, his mobility was good the only thing he seemed to fall down on was accuracy with on the deep ball. He looked ready to be a starter .

Josh Allen - some good, some bad but I was more impressed than I expected to be - as JeMarcus commented, one spectacular although I doubt he gets it against a better defence. Some of his decisions were terrible - some very good and he was a threat once he escaped the pocket. I always felt that Allen had the potential to be a big bust - I am not convinced yet he won't be a bust, but he certainly has tools to work with.

Josh Rosen - for a QB touted by many before the draft as the most pro-ready - he looked terrible, poor decisions, poor throws and overall a poor game. Maybe the question marks about his attitude to the sport are proving to be true.

All of them showed why they are rookies. I don't think any of them are ready to lead a team but true NFL style they will be thrown into the fire.

Mayfield - will probably sit for a while behind Tyrod Taylor and the first sign of Taylor making a single mistake they will panic and throw Mayfield in. Mayfield is the closest to being ready though in my opinion and the Browns legitimately have a good offense around him so he could be a good starter eventually. But Tyrod Taylor could actually be the best start the Browns have right now with that Offense.

Darnold - Jets will start him as he already is their saviour

Allen - 100% need to sit and wait and learn. As you said he made some bad decisions but I do believe if they can let him learn behind a veteran starter is could help his progression. But the Bills don't have a good veteran started so they will play him eventually this season

Rosen - If Bradford stays healthy he really should start for the Cardinals and let Rosen sit but time will tell

By the way - would anyone like to encourage their team to trade for Paxton Lynch - a conditional 7th rounder would be more than acceptable.

If the broncos are looking to trade him, why are they making fun of him and talking him down in interviews? Doesn't seem like a smart strategy to me.

If the broncos are looking to trade him, why are they making fun of him and talking him down in interviews? Doesn't seem like a smart strategy to me.

Actually they have been trying to talk him up - Joseph keeps saying he is 'making progress' - Musgrave was reflecting the frustration of the players and coaches. Plus I think they know that nobody will give anything for him. I have seen fewer QBs play in the NFL that are as bad as he is.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    All of them showed why they are rookies. I don't think any of them are ready to lead a team but true NFL style they will be thrown into the fire.

Mayfield - will probably sit for a while behind Tyrod Taylor and the first sign of Taylor making a single mistake they will panic and throw Mayfield in. Mayfield is the closest to being ready though in my opinion and the Browns legitimately have a good offense around him so he could be a good starter eventually. But Tyrod Taylor could actually be the best start the Browns have right now with that Offense.

Darnold - Jets will start him as he already is their saviour

Allen - 100% need to sit and wait and learn. As you said he made some bad decisions but I do believe if they can let him learn behind a veteran starter is could help his progression. But the Bills don't have a good veteran started so they will play him eventually this season

Rosen - If Bradford stays healthy he really should start for the Cardinals and let Rosen sit but time will tell
    It would make sense to start Taylor this season - but there will be took much hype around Mayfield, and he has a habit of attracting it as well. He could fall flat on his face if he is thrown in this season.

As regards Allen - the earlier he plays the bigger the bust potential.

• Advertisement
Advertisement