Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Preseason Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Knex. wrote: »
    While that is very true, I'm pretty sure your d-line man handled us the past two years when we played.

Literally any improvement over that will excite Giant fans tbh.

Edit: Just checked. You guys got 5 sacks on us last year!

Yeah fair enough. Three of those sacks were Ansah on Flowers though so those almost feel like they shouldn’t count haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

New round of games tonight, and I expect starters will get a bit more game time. For some teams, anyway.

Anyone looking at anything in particular? Certain player, certain team, etc?

Broncos and the Bears are in joint practices - they play on Sat night.

Reports from practice indicate that that the Broncos offence owned the Bears with Emmanuel Sanders repeatedly embarrassing Kyle Fuller. Keenum completed a lot of passes to a host of receivers including Demaryius Thomas, De’Angelo Henderson, Jeff Heuerman, Phillip Lindsay and Tim Patrick. Roquan Smith participated for the Bears after ending his holdout.

The Broncos defence was also dominant except when Trubisky targeted his TEs - this was a major weakness for the Broncos last season and it looks like they are still trying to figure it out. The plan was to use Cravens to cover TEs - but he is still sitting out because of injury. Trubisky ended up just targeting TEs at one stage in 11-on-11 drills as he wasn't able to hit any other target. Von Miller was a wrecking ball even though he was only going at half-speed.

Chad Kelly struggled in his first day with the 2s - and the Bears 2nd offence bullied the Broncos 2nd D. Chase Daniel had a big day.

The Broncos starters will play into the second quarter on Sat night. I want to see the offence doing better than going 3 and out.

With McCarron injured it looks like Josh Allen is going to end up getting a lot of playing time over the next couple of weeks.

It will be interesting to see how he copes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Looking like the Ravens may have three QBs in the 53 for the first time since 2009. Sure some teams do this a lot but some others always go with two

RGIII doing well and would be number 2 if the season started today

Maybe some team will come in for a trade. Jets with Bridgewater in the same situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I have to say the highlights option on gamepass is very very handy especially in pre season, where lets be honest it's not all classics games. That function will be very helpful.

Peterson to Washington.

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1031611262805766145

What does he have left though? Hopefully more than he showed in NO and Arizona last season!

The Broncos finally cut one of the biggest wastes of space from John Elway's free agency signings - Menelik Watson has been placed on IR to be released when fit. The Broncos eat $6.5million in dead cap money. At least it frees up a roster spot.

And while I am talking about the Broncos - stats for Chad Kelly on Saturday - 7-9 for 90 yards with 1 TD and a rating of 142.5 and over his two pre-season outings 21-30 for 267 yds, 3 TD - 1 INT - 116.9

And while I am talking about the Broncos

Love it...!!!!

Love it...!!!!

I knew you would :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah fair enough. Three of those sacks were Ansah on Flowers though so those almost feel like they shouldn’t count haha.

Flowers will still be abused this year unfortunately

Teams will just attack him on the right side of the line this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Least Eli will see it coming I spose. I also think Shurmur's proficiency as an OC will help massively.

That OL he had two years ago in Minnesota was brutal, remember.

Chad Kelly now getting first team reps with the Broncos - looks like they have decided to roll with Kelly as the back-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

His throwing motion seems very laboured, or it has a large arc, or there's something a bit off about it. But he has looked good in the pre season games.

Definitely interested to see how it all develops. He'll add some fun to the league with his name and character at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Least Eli will see it coming I spose. I also think Shurmur's proficiency as an OC will help massively.

That OL he had two years ago in Minnesota was brutal, remember.

I hope you are right

His throwing motion seems very laboured, or it has a large arc, or there's something a bit off about it. But he has looked good in the pre season games.

Definitely interested to see how it all develops. He'll add some fun to the league with his name and character at the very least.

He is trying to throw everything as a laser bullet putting everything he can muster behind it - remember - he hadn't thrown a pass in anger for almost two years up to last week. His throwing motion will improve as he gets some touch.

I hope he develops into a starter - Jim Kelly was my all-time favourite QB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

When was the last time an NFL game ended 5-0?? Only watched the quick highlights, They might as well have been just called the Myles Garret highlight reel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watched the first half live last night and going on the fact the score didn't change for the rest of the game I didn't miss much.

The third game of the preseason is normally the one to watch.

Big V at left tackle was a disgrace. He like a turnstile. The sooner Jason peters gets back on the field the better. Nick foles did not look good or look like a super bowl MVP. He tripped himself for a safety ffs. Matt Jones should be cut as soon as the eagles got back to Philly. I think there two INTs on the first five drives for the eagles.

Somehow Tyrod Taylor didn't break his wrist/ hand but he apparently didn't.

Baker mayfield looked good of what I saw. There was a series of plays that did sum up the Browns though.the browns had the ball at the one yard line and two of the four downs at least seemed like they ran the same play. Landry was running into his team mate and asking for a flag. Nuts.

Most of the eagles players won't be starters itl be grand there are a lot of players coming back in the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Was near midnight when I got in from work last night and spent the guts of a hour looking for a stream for the Jets/Giants game only to realise it was tonight! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

phatkev wrote: »
    When was the last time an NFL game ended 5-0?? Only watched the quick highlights, They might as well have been just called the Myles Garret highlight reel

Last game was 1978 apparently!!! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Saw Denzel Ward got hurt last night. How's he been so far? Isn't mentioned on hard knocks but the guy was the number 4 pick. Ramsey was #5 pick and has been brilliant. Is ward of similar potential?

I know its only a preseason game and I've got the rose tinted glasses when it comes to Darnold on but it shouldn’t look this easy for a rookie led offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

phatkev wrote: »
    I know its only a preseason game and I've got the rose tinted glasses when it comes to Darnold on but it shouldn’t look this easy for a rookie led offence

He learns from the best.

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1033159712416522240?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Just saw what I think is my favourite stupid in game ad in the Packers game.

"Packers over the 50 yard line and if you are over 50 as well you can sign up for free colonoscopy..."

Broncos sign Pacman Jones to a one year - $1million deal.

Bridgewater has been traded to the Saints, reports saying the Jets will receive a 3rd round pick. Thats a pretty good insurance policy to have behind Brees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Nice bit of business for the Jets. Sign a FA to a one year deal and turn it into a 3rd rounder

I was hoping the Ravens could do the same for RGIII. Even a 4th rounder would be good

For only $500k guaranteed too. Macaggnan is doing a pretty good job over there lately.

• Advertisement

I know it's only preseason, but Ronald Jones was electric at USC and Tampa Bay drafted him as an early second round pick. His stats so far are fairly abysmal:

Week 1: 8 rushes for 9 yards
    Week 2: 4 rushes for 2 yards
    Week 3: 6 rushes for 7 yards
    Week 4 (so far): 5 rushes for -5 yards

Total: 23 rushes for 13 yards :eek:

Advertisement