Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings for Godchild - what's my best option?

Options
  • 01-08-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Having recently been asked to be a Godparent I am looking to start putting a bit of money away for them so that they can have it at 18/ 21.

The options I am currently considering as possibilities are:

1. Opening a regular saving account in their name (with consent and knowledge of parent) that I deposit 5 - 10 euro in per month

2. Opening an account where I deposit 40/ 50 euro twice a year

3. Putting a lump sum into something now (like a national solidarity bond or other account where it's held for quite some time to garner interest)

Like most people, what I want is to find the option that will give the most from my money at the end of 18 - 21 years. I have the funds to either put it all away now or, equally, I can put it away on the regular.

If possible, it would be nice to have it be a surprise but with restrictions in place to prevent money laundering I know that it may not be possible and, in that case, I have no issue putting the Mother's name on the accounts.

Suggestions other than the 3 above will definitely be considered. Giving specific banks/ places of saving would be very helpful also.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement