Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house near Limerick.

• 01-08-2018 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am in the housing market at the moment. I am looking for somewhere within walking distance to school, with fewer troublesome people and about 20 minutes drive to Dooradoyle. Facilities such like nice pubs are not that important as I dont go there anyway. I am currently looking at Castleconnell and Newport in Tipperary. In comparison, could you please tell me which of them are better? Is Newport safe? It looks like that town has quite a few abandoned building on the main street. But the estates are nice.

Any other towns or villages would suit me? Thanks for the help.

Regards
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Castleconnell is a lovely, picturesque area with a village type atmosphere. It is the fastest growing centre of population in County Limerick. It has all the usual amenities you would expect. To drive to Dooradoyle would take twenty minutes. There is reasonably good public transport. As regards schools, there is a local primary. The nearest secondary is Castletroy College. I am not that familiar with Newport but commuting distance would be quite a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

chicorytip wrote: »
    Castleconnell is a lovely, picturesque area with a village type atmosphere. It is the fastest growing centre of population in County Limerick. It has all the usual amenities you would expect. To drive to Dooradoyle would take twenty minutes. There is reasonably good public transport. As regards schools, there is a local primary. The nearest secondary is Castletroy College. I am not that familiar with Newport but commuting distance would be quite a bit longer.

Thanks for the information. I will certainly keep these valuable information in mind.

Regarding Newport, it is about 5 mins longer to travel than Castleconnell. But the house price seems a lot lower. Just worry that Newport would be doggy, e.g., drug dealing, trouble families, etc...

Anyone would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Moved from Limerick to Newport over 12 years ago and don’t regret it for 1 minute. Best of both worlds, close enough to Limerick but also far enough away. Only 7 mins from Finnegans roundabout. I can get to place of work in Dooradoyle in 20 mins. Our kids love it here. Great primary & secondary schools in the town (no rat race of getting into sec schools). Good supply of shops, pubs, chemists, credit union etc). Loads of sports clubs incl soccer, GAA, rugby, handball, athletics, basketball, cycling all based in the town. Never had any bother in our time out here and a great sense of community. I would never live in Limerick again and was born and raised there! Lots of great outdoor activities nearby incl Clare Glens, Keeper Hill, Glenstal, Kilaloe etc. Every town has its share of messers but not really an issue in Newport. Houses for sale in Newport are always snapped up. Great place for families. Lots of Limerick people have chosen to move here. We can’t all be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Moved from Limerick to Newport over 12 years ago and don’t regret it for 1 minute. Best of both worlds, close enough to Limerick but also far enough away. Only 7 mins from Finnegans roundabout. I can get to place of work in Dooradoyle in 20 mins. Our kids love it here. Great primary & secondary schools in the town (no rat race of getting into sec schools). Good supply of shops, pubs, chemists, credit union etc). Loads of sports clubs incl soccer, GAA, rugby, handball, athletics, basketball, cycling all based in the town. Never had any bother in our time out here and a great sense of community. I would never live in Limerick again and was born and raised there! Lots of great outdoor activities nearby incl Clare Glens, Keeper Hill, Glenstal, Kilaloe etc. Every town has its share of messers but not really an issue in Newport. Houses for sale in Newport are always snapped up. Great place for families. Lots of Limerick people have chosen to move here. We can’t all be wrong.

Thats all great and all but ultimately you will have to live with the fact that your children will potentially grow up as Tipperary GAA fans. That's not something I could contemplate :).

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Thats all great and all but ultimately you will have to live with the fact that your children will potentially grow up as Tipperary GAA fans. That's not something I could contemplate :).

In the Minor final in 2016 there was a Newport clubman on each team. Darragh Carroll for Limerick and Cian Flanagan for Tipp. Think Carroll moved there from Kilteely.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the valuable information, warrior. I think I got your recommendation from other posts and since then I started to consider Newport.

How is Glencree? Outside the estate, it looks quite messy.. I have heard that the residence were trying to get the construction company complete that site..

:D, that is something out of my concern at the moment... Need something to sleep in first.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am in similar boat, looking for a home around 20 min drive from Dooradoyle.
    Castle connell, Shannon, castletroy, Newmarket on Fergus, Sixmile Bridge, etc are about 25 minutes from Dooradoyle. But I have to consider road toll of 4 euros if living near Shannon side.

Any thoughts on properties at Newmarket on Fergus?

I am in similar boat, looking for a home around 20 min drive from Dooradoyle.
    Castle connell, Shannon, castletroy, Newmarket on Fergus, Sixmile Bridge, etc are about 25 minutes from Dooradoyle. But I have to consider road toll of 4 euros if living near Shannon side.

Any thoughts on properties at Newmarket on Fergus?
    Em,, competitor, ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Or a happy bubbly neighbour :)
    s982102 wrote: »
    Em,, competitor, ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭porker36

Thanks for the valuable information, warrior. I think I got your recommendation from other posts and since then I started to consider Newport.

How is Glencree? Outside the estate, it looks quite messy.. I have heard that the residence were trying to get the construction company complete that site..

I heard from friend living there that there was planning granted there recently and there's new houses starting there shortly, they have no issues there

porker36 wrote: »
    I heard from friend living there that there was planning granted there recently and there's new houses starting there shortly, they have no issues there

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Newport is a good candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭porker36

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Newport is a good candidate

https://www.daft.ie/glencree
    there ya go( got curious myself) :):)

porker36 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/glencree
    there ya go( got curious myself) :):)

Yeah, I found these myself as well. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nenagh is another good option with the motorway. In fact you'll probably make it faster from Nenagh to Dooradoyle as Newport to Dooradoyle.
    There's really sodall in Newport...Nenagh's a much better option I imagine.

Advertisement