Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ivy plant- white 'balls' in soil

Options
  • 01-08-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi

I'm new to gardening and houseplants. I got an ivy for downstairs bathroom window- it seems fine but not growing much if at all. the bathroom gets very little light as it's facing north'ish' with fogged glass. Just moved it into a bright room and noticed these white balls in the soil- maybe they were always there but just wondering if it could be mould due to not getting enough sun? Do I need to do anything like repot?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

MizMix wrote: »
    Hi

I'm new to gardening and houseplants. I got an ivy for downstairs bathroom window- it seems fine but not growing much if at all. the bathroom gets very little light as it's facing north'ish' with fogged glass. Just moved it into a bright room and noticed these white balls in the soil- maybe they were always there but just wondering if it could be mould due to not getting enough sun? Do I need to do anything like repot?

Thanks

Is it perlite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

TTTT wrote: »
    Is it perlite?

It will be that. OP if it is the size and has the texture of the polystyrene balls you get when you break the packaging on a new TV etc, Its grand.

Common in indoor compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It isn't an ivy, OP. It may be called a 'something ivy' but it isn't actually an ivy. It looks most like a schefflera, but I am not absolutely sure that it is, the leaf looks a bit different. Either way the new spray of light green leaves looks a bit unhappy, I'd say it is not in enough light, though it does not look like a plant that would prefer full sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

looksee wrote: »
    It isn't an ivy, OP. It may be called a 'something ivy' but it isn't actually an ivy. It looks most like a schefflera, but I am not absolutely sure that it is, the leaf looks a bit different. Either way the new spray of light green leaves looks a bit unhappy, I'd say it is not in enough light, though it does not look like a plant that would prefer full sun.

Yes it's called a parthenocicuss striata (I presumed it was from the ivy family). The advise when I bought it was partially shaded or shaded but it seems to need more light- hence I've moved it to a brighter spot.

when you say the new spray looks unhappy- is it as it's quite pale? I'll see how it does now with more natural light.

I'm not at home now but it looks like it is perlite! Thanks

Advertisement