Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda alert to firearm owners.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In the second incident a gun cabinet was taken from a home in C.....y between July 9 & 15.

So much for that security idea.:rolleyes::)

Uh huh, so no one could buy a spare slide and barrel then?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    In the second incident a gun cabinet was taken from a home in C.....y between July 9 & 15.

Yes it would seem like they were away on hols? I recall my father used put his guns into his shooting friends safe when we went on hols as kids. He'd give the local Garda a call and let me know. Seemed it was never an issue as far as I recall but the Garda would have known them both well.

What do lads general do when leaving an empty house behind for a week or fortnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    One thing i did notice and it bothers me is point #3. It was floated before and i still think its a joke of a recommendation.

#3. Yep, I've considered it and decided nah, stupid idea. Job done.

Regarding #2. One of the conditions on 2 of my guns is that I can't leave them unattended in a car, not that I would. So I guess it's ok for me to sling them over my shoulder and bring them into Obama Plaza when I am stopping to go to the jacks or to get something to eat. :D

And an afterthought. If I left someone in the car to mind them while I went to the jacks, would they then be in possession of firearms that they aren't licenced for?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes it would seem like they were away on hols? I recall my father used put his guns into his shooting friends safe when we went on hols as kids. He'd give the local Garda a call and let me know. Seemed it was never an issue as far as I recall but the Garda would have known them both well.

What do lads general do when leaving an empty house behind for a week or fortnight?

I know some lads that put them into a RFD while their away plenty of them will do it for a small fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I put everything in with my local rfd. 5 euro per week per firearm. Gives me peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

2 safes, 1 hidden with the guns, the other full of lengths of metal piping for the thieves to prise off the wall and carry away, thinking they've hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Y'know, I think #3 might actually be a breach of your licensing conditions and therefore grounds to pull your licence unless you specified on your RFC1 that you would be storing the firearm at the range as well as wherever you specified on the form. They're a wee bit precise on the topic of "where do you store your firearms?".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm more confused about the theft of the sheepskin rug than anything else to be honest.

Thief to getaway driver "Spin the wheels, I got a shotgun and something else you're gonna love!"

Getaway driver " What else! Jewelry? Cash? Drugs?"

Thief " Nope, a sheepskin rug!"

Screeching of brakes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sparks wrote: »
    Y'know, I think #3 might actually be a breach of your licensing conditions and therefore grounds to pull your licence unless you specified on your RFC1 that you would be storing the firearm at the range as well as wherever you specified on the form. They're a wee bit precise on the topic of "where do you store your firearms?".
    I keep my rifle bolt in my car. The rest of the rifle is in the safe.

Makes perfect sense to me - although I know technically its a breach of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BforBarney

I'm more confused about the theft of the sheepskin rug than anything else to be honest.

Thief to getaway driver "Spin the wheels, I got a shotgun and something else you're gonna love!"

Screeching of brakes.

Something to wrap the gun in, I had a robbery years ago they took the sheets off the bed to hide the guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Hide the safe build a cabinet around it or even a grandfather clock. :p
    Also loose lips sink ships and all that many gun robberies they hit the safe and nothing else meaning they knew where it was, so always be careful what you say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

BforBarney wrote: »
    Something to wrap the gun in, I had a robbery years ago they took the sheets off the bed to hide the guns.

Ahhhh, makes sense now!

Jesus I'd have made a very bad detective, and a bad robber too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only time the gun should be in the safe is when the Gard comes to inspect it, rest of the time hidden. Safe is like a homing device for thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

ED E wrote: »
    Only time the gun should be in the safe is when the Gard comes to inspect it, rest of the time hidden. Safe is like a homing device for thieves.

Main problem with this is, if thieves broke in and did actually manage to find and steal your guns, you'd have some job explaining that to the Guards, i.e. how they were able to steal them without even touching the safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Main problem with this is, if thieves broke in and did actually manage to find and steal your guns, you'd have some job explaining that to the Guards, i.e. how they were able to steal them without even touching the safe.

Not suggesting for a moment anyone does this ;);) but it would be easy enough to make a safe look 'broken into' ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Screeching of brakes.

Makes sense and quite old school, cabinet was a wrapped in a sheep skin rug. There was a burglar in Dublin in the 1980's who used to walk out the front door with something like a rug under his arm, used to say hello to anyone he would meet. The house wasn't thrashed he used to only take jewelry the victims only realised they were burgled days maybe weeks later.

Advertisement