Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid overtime for the last 7 years

Options
  • 02-08-2018 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. How far back can you claim for unpaid overtime. I am working for a company for 7years and I was never paid. I have a contract in which is mentioned about overtime payment but they never paid me. They said they will pay only for the last 6 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think this is just down to negotiation at this stage.

It’s equally unreasonable not to pay overtime as it is to leave it seven years to ask for it to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Jucky wrote: »
    Hi. How far back can you claim for unpaid overtime. I am working for a company for 7years and I was never paid. I have a contract in which is mentioned about overtime payment but they never paid me. They said they will pay only for the last 6 months.

Why would you continue to work it for 7 years when not getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jucky

Why would you continue to work it for 7 years when not getting paid.

I like the job. And I do get paid, except the overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is this the first time you have asked this to be resolved or did you highlight it in the past?

If this is the first time then I'd say them offering to backdate it six months is reasonable and that you may have bandwidth to renegotiate it to a year. I highly doubt that any company will backdate it seven years.

If you have highlighted it to them in the past and you have proof then that's a different kettle of fish. You probably will have to engage external help in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jucky

gandalf wrote: »
    Is this the first time you have asked this to be resolved or did you highlight it in the past?

If this is the first time then I'd say them offering to backdate it six months is reasonable and that you may have bandwidth to renegotiate it to a year. I highly doubt that any company will backdate it seven years.

If you have highlighted it to them in the past and you have proof then that's a different kettle of fish. You probably will have to engage external help in this case.

Is for the first time when I asked about this.
    Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement