Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A strange one

Options
  • 02-08-2018 10:26am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have been banned from the GAA forum for ignoring mod instruction. I specifically did not ignore mod instruction, I made a point about how ludicrous the situation was but I did not break any rules or ignore mod instruction.

Here's the post I made:

I'll give my predictions for the weekend.

Kerry v Kildare - Kerry should win this but not by a huge amount. They might be distracted with events elsewhere. Kildare are out but they don't want to have 0 points from the league and the elite 8's.

Galway v Monaghan - Both desperately want to top the group. Obviously Monaghan need to keep ahead of Kerry. It won't be orchestrated but I think it'll be a draw and both will go through.

Donegal v Tyrone - Will be more open than some expect and home advantage should tell for Donegal. It'll be tight though, Donegal to win it by a point or so.

Roscommon v ______ - Roscommon are out and have nothing to play for but pride. They look like the worst team to reach the elite 8's and will go out with another beating. I'm not allowed to talk about ______.

Overall only 2 games are really that interesting and both of them could be negative affairs. If the weather is bad it'll be a slugfest.

The mod warning was to not discuss Dublin. I clearly did not.

I have discussed it with the banning mod and have been directed here. I hope to get a fair hearing and the merits of this case are taken by itself.

Thanks,
    DONTMATTER.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I shall alert the Sports CMods to this appeal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi, Can you send me on any relevant discussion you had with the mod and I'll take a look.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Ok, I think I've sent you all the relevant discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi DONTMATTER,

I have spoken to the mod involved and also gotten input from other GAA forum mods on this matter.

This ban is not the simple result of a single post, it is an accumulation of straws over time.

You need to look at your posting style in the forum and heed the many warnings and explanations given to you (via pm) by the mods - and bear in mind this is well above what is expected of them.

I can find no fault with the mod action in this case, and so am upholding it.

You may appeal to admin if you wish.

Hello.

Disappointing that this case wasn't taken on its merits but not surprising I suppose.

The mod warning was to not mention Dublin and that was strictly stuck to. It's basically an open goal of a turnover. Clearly the other mods who contacted you unsolicited realised this also and tried to add in other things.

This is basically a ban on talking about Dublin funding. I was told to stick to discussion on this topic in one thread. I stuck to this, for some reason that thread was then closed.

The mods are trying to make life easier for themselves. Clearly they get multiple reported posts when a controversial topic is being discussed. This is all understandable. They're not paid so why not just ban these topics, a sanitised forum is easier to manage. I was making the point of this on a thread on the help desk. That's another motive for getting me banned.

I'll appeal to the admin. Like my earlier wish, I hope the case gets looked at fairly. I think that's highly unlikely now and it would mean going against multiple mods. But the case is simple. The rules were made to confine the discussion on Dublin funding to one thread. This was stuck to rigidly. This thread was then closed. The new rule was to not discuss anything related to Dublin at all. This was stuck to rigidly. A ban in this case is hugely unwarranted and extremely unfair.

• Advertisement

Sorry that you are disappointed, as I said, the ban was an accumulation of straws. In total isolation, yes I would agree that it was harsh, but given the amount of mod time spent dealing with you and explaining every move I concluded it was justified.

To clarify, the other mods did not contact me 'unsolicited', I contacted them in their mod forum and asked for their opinion and any background information on the matter. They responded with opinions and, more importantly, links to posts to back up those opinions and also with an array of mod related pm's that were exchanged with you.

My decision stands, I will ask an admin to review per your request.

Thanks.

Steve wrote: »
    Sorry that you are disappointed, as I said, the ban was an accumulation of straws. In total isolation, yes I would agree that it was harsh, but given the amount of mod time spent dealing with you and explaining every move I concluded it was justified.

To clarify, the other mods did not contact me 'unsolicited', I contacted them in their mod forum and asked for their opinion and any background information on the matter. They responded with opinions and, more importantly, links to posts to back up those opinions and also with an array of mod related pm's that were exchanged with you.

My decision stands, I will ask an admin to review per your request.

Thanks.

But I've been banned for this incident. A serious ban as well. Clearly I'm not objective but it looks extremely unfair. Why should I be banned for actually obeying mod orders?

Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've taken a look at this. In your short time on this site you have caused problems particularly in the GAA forum where you have been warned on various occasions about your posting

This time you thought you were being smart by deliberately obliterating reference to Dublin when you had been told not to continue your crusade against the county.

The end result - last time you were actually told your next ban would be permanent, but in fact the mods have simply banned you to the end of the championship. You call the ban "serious" - yes it is and is fitting for your behaviour in the forum since you signed up. You are very lucky it was not more serious, and that you will regain posting privileges in early September

I'm upholding this ban

Just to add a further comment about the Help Desk thread you started in connection with the GAA forum. That was insulting towards the mods and showed a desire from yourself to dictate how content is managed. You made comments about that both in the thread and in the forum. Let me say this once - the problem is not the forum, nor the way it is moderated. The problem is you and you seem to fail to recognise this - either that or you are deliberately trolling. Neither explanation is acceptable and you had better re-consider your posting style when the ban is up as I fully expect the next one to be permanent if you fail to shown any improvement

I'm marking this resolved

Sorry but is there another admin to look at this? Your decision is biased having been involved in the other thread.

I purposely left out reference to Dublin in my predictions for the weekends games. Strictly following mod orders. Nothing can cover that fact. I've received a serious ban for following mod orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You were knowingly pulling the piss. As an Admin Beasty’s decision is final. Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement