Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship back pay

Options
  • 02-08-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

I'm currently waiting on back pay from the HSE.
    I started as a HCA on the internship scheme in 2014.
    I have since been told that the 18 months after I started as was paid at internship rates(85% for year 1 and 90% for year 2 of grade 1 on payscale) have now been recognised and I am now being paid at the appropriate payscale. But we will receive back pay for some of that time.

Can anyone tell me when the back pay will be from?
    I have been told that it will be from the date of my increment in 2017(increment date was Oct or May, depending on intern increment date or actual start date) or from July 2017.
    I have been told that we will receive it automatically but also told we must fill out a form from human resources.
    After numerous phone calls to salaries I am none the wiser:-/ they keep telling me it will be in next pay check or were busy people on annual leave.

Also, if and when I do receive it, I'm gonna be crippled by the tax man. Can I get a rebate of any kind?

Any advice or info appreciated

Comments

jojomc wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm currently waiting on back pay from the HSE.
    I started as a HCA on the internship scheme in 2014.
    I have since been told that the 18 months after I started as was paid at internship rates(85% for year 1 and 90% for year 2 of grade 1 on payscale) have now been recognised and I am now being paid at the appropriate payscale. But we will receive back pay for some of that time.

Can anyone tell me when the back pay will be from?
    I have been told that it will be from the date of my increment in 2017(increment date was Oct or May, depending on intern increment date or actual start date) or from July 2017.
    I have been told that we will receive it automatically but also told we must fill out a form from human resources.
    After numerous phone calls to salaries I am none the wiser:-/ they keep telling me it will be in next pay check or were busy people on annual leave.

Also, if and when I do receive it, I'm gonna be crippled by the tax man. Can I get a rebate of any kind?

Any advice or info appreciated

if you get a whack of cash in one payslip and suffer greater than proportional tax in that period on the back of it, a p21 balancing statement would sort you out - bit you might have to wait until next tax year i think

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jojomc

if you get a whack of cash in one payslip and suffer greater than proportional tax in that period on the back of it, a p21 balancing statement would sort you out - bit you might have to wait until next tax year i think

I wonder because the back pay isn't relevant to this year would it make a difference as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

No, the job is not going to open up prior years payroll but pay you a lump sum with all the current deductions applied for tax and prsi etc.

From memory the tax liability falls on payment rather than contractual obligation but if you email your HR manager on this they can confirm if you can apply to Revenue to have any of the payment assessed in prior years eg any pension deduction to be applied against last years income.
    HR should also be able to confirm your start date and the start date of the paid internship. Note HR control the payroll process but may not be running the calculations so your query is better off in writing as its in a que which has to be cleared rather than a phone conversation.

I would be more focused on can your stamps be allocated across your period of employment as these will determine your qualification for the old age pension :) yes it's a long way off but it's money you actually will get back from the government.

Advertisement