Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Fitbit after 2 months

Options
  • 02-08-2018 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi, 
    I'm looking for some advice. 
    The screen on my Fitbit cracked out of the blue last week while I was out walking on holidays in Croatia. 
    I have only had it for 2 months. 
    I googled it and there seem to be hundreds of cases where screens have cracked in hot weather - it seems to be a design flaw whereby the glass screen expands in heat but the metal casing doesn't causing the screen to crack down the middle. 
    I contacted Fitbit who are claiming that cracked screens are not covered by the warranty. They are refusing to replace it and are only offering a 25% discount on my next purchase. 
    My questions are:
    Should I be entitled to a replacement or full refund?
    I purchased the Fitbit on boots.ie so should I be contacting Boots or Fitbit for a replacement?
    Is there consumer legislation I can mention when contacting them so that they do not try to fob me off again?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

<SNIP> no need to quote entire OP in first response

You bought it from boots so you need to contact them.
    In reality its a manufacturing fault, but good luck proving that you didnt just drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

You bought it from boots so you need to contact them. In reality its a manufacturing fault, but good luck proving that you didnt just drop it.

You don't have to contact boots. My friend emailed Fitbit when hers did the same after 13 months. They sent a replacement without even requesting the old one to be returned.

Their customer service is excellent. I'd contact them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

tedpan wrote: »
    You don't have to contact boots. My friend emailed Fitbit when hers did the same after 13 months. They sent a replacement without even requesting the old one to be returned.

Their customer service is excellent. I'd contact them directly.

Did you even read the first post??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Pelvis wrote:
    Did you even read the first post??

Obviously very poorly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

In reality its a manufacturing fault, but good luck proving that you didnt just drop it.

this is the key. OP will have difficulty proving it was a manufacturing fault. some people with similar issues on a website helps, but does not constitute proof. It can help bolster your argument.

OP you should contact boots, and ask them to deal with this under the sale of good and supplies act 1980, where you are entitled to one of the 3 R's as a remedy. (repair replace refund). See what boots offer you.

The problem you have is proving it wasn't dropped or hit etc & that it was a manufacturing fault. I would imagine they will either replace runfund summarily or send it off to be examined. If you are polite but adamant, you should win this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Thanks for all the replies - I will contact Boots as suggested and hopefully they will offer a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

i bought mine in currys and it got a bad scratch after a week - i didn't recall banging it or anything and i contacted fitbit themselves, they asked i send a picture of the scratch plus a picture of the receipt and within a week had sent me a replacement watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m actually surprised Fitbit wouldn’t sort it out. 3 of my siblings have fitbits and the straps are always breaking in them. They get into Fitbit and get a new one no problem every time.

Advertisement