Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

• 02-08-2018 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure we're all fans and experts now ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Chicks with sticks

And skirts

They all have lovely bottoms too I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm sure we're all fans and experts now ;)

Time for a semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Great result this evening. Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Hurlin' for prods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

It was great, well done to them. Fantastic achievement. Penalties in hockey are great fun to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I feel like hockey used to get a lot more media attention years ago, I thought I remember the international games even being on rte a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Gf is a prod and plays high level in the 1s in Belfast. Most of them do not go for men, and from watching their games also do not have big asses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sad that the players had to fund their own travel costs.

This is after some players had to take leave from work to take part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Gf is a prod and plays high level in the 1s in Belfast. Most of them do not go for men, and from watching their games also do not have big asses.

If yiz had kids, would the poor kid be unable to procreate?

You know like when you mix a horse and a donkey. That kind of thing. The mule/jennet is grand, just biologically can't reproduce further

It needs to be said too, charging down a penalty corner is one of life's great thrills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Yer wan doing the punditry on RTE has the strangest eyes I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Sad that the players had to fund their own travel costs.

This is after some players had to take leave from work to take part.

I wouldn't say any of them are cleaning jacks for a living and need the few quid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Yer wan doing the punditry on RTE has the strangest eyes I have ever seen.

Were RTE showing it live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

statesaver wrote: »

They were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

statesaver wrote: »

RTÉ 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Boarding school sport, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

There's nothing like a sporting bandwagon for the Irish armchair quarterbacks to jump on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Played it for years, great sport. Delighted to see the team doing so well.

branie2 wrote: »
    Boarding school sport, in my opinion.

So is Rugby and the whole country is jerking off to it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I hope they use the flying V in the semi.

Wait that sounds for ladies hockey.

QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

When you beat the Indians at their National Sport then you have to make room for Major Bill on the Bandwagon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

What a boring match against India, yawnfest and the penalities are comical. Not much skill involved in the game either. These ladies represent an elitest Ireland that has no connection to the majority of Irish sports fans. I actually hope they get hockeyed by Spain and then they can be quickly forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

major bill wrote:
    When you beat the Indians at their National Sport then you have to make room for Major Bill on the Bandwagon!!

Cricket would be their national sport, No?

And what's wrong with getting on a band wagon? We're just congratulating our fellow country women on a job well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah lads.

This is the pinnacle of their sporting careers and all I see is people putting them down.

Yes it's a minority sport but did none of your mothers ever teach you what to do if you've got nothing nice to say

Sam Hain wrote: »
    What a boring match against India, yawnfest and the penalities are comical. Not much skill involved in the game either. These ladies represent an elitest Ireland that has no connection to the majority of Irish sports fans. I actually hope they get hockeyed by Spain and then they can be quickly forgotten.

Do you actually know how much skill is involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Young men from wealthy families play rugby in exclusive schools for the Irish elite.

Young women from wealthy backgrounds play hockey in exclusive schools for the Irish elite.

So what?

And what's wrong with getting on a band wagon? We're just congratulating our fellow country women on a job well done.

Cricket is their most popular sport but Field Hockey is their National Sport believe it or not.

Nothing wrong with a Bandwagon It great to see an Irish team doing well on the international stage.

For starters my back would be in a heap from playing it!!

Officially India doesnt have a national sport.

Hockey is though to be the national sport but i dont think it's officially recognised as such. Hockey has been declining since the late 50's early 60's. India won 6 consecutive mens olympic hockey titles but that run ended in 1956. They havent won an olympic title since 1980 or even a medal since

It's considered but cricket is probably the most popular sport

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/india/articles/heres-why-india-doesnt-have-a-national-sport/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to them. A sport where at least you have beat decent countries to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

It needs to be said too, charging down a penalty corner is one of life's great thrills

Back in the days of the gravel pitches in Belfield, one of my mates had his nose demolished by a deflection (courtesy of the first runner's stick!) - he was second runner! Collecting the fragments of bone on the pitch delayed play for quite a while!

Fair play to them. A sport where at least you have beat decent countries to win it.

Its not really about the countries.

Surely its about the standard of the opposition rather than their nationality.

I'd say any fit athletic individual could give it a decent go. And throw any mobile tank of a young wan in goal. In comparison to most sports it's a bit ****e.

I'd say any fit athletic individual could give it a decent go. And throw any mobile tank of a young wan in goal. In comparison to most sports it's a bit ****e.

Have you played the sport?

How would you know otherwise?

You could say that about most sports without understanding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You've never played the game, obviously.

Taking a hit from a shot is one of the most painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

P_1 wrote: »
    Yes it's a minority sport but did none of your mothers ever teach you what to do if you've got nothing nice to say

Boards would cease to exist if that was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I dare you to go give it a go, stand on the goal line ready to close down a short corner.

Hurlin' for prods.

Generalisation much

Berserker wrote: »
    You've never played the game, obviously.

bet he would not even be able to trap a ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well you sound lovely.

I'd say - as someone who played the game in the past - the skill and athleticism required at the elite level is pretty significant. The fact that our national teams have clawed their way up the standings over the years and benefited from the structures in place to more regularly qualify for major tournaments (the men will also take place in this year's world cup) is a testament to years of hard graft and dedication at all levels of the game. I don't really know how they did it tbh - when I was playing the sport was very much amateur and limited in its ambition at a national level. Great strides have been made and I can only imagine the hard work that went into it in all sorts of ways.

The players aren't full time in most cases but train and play like they are. Just as we laud our GAA stars (and rightly so), we should laud the level of dedication involved here.

Ultimately some achievement by Graham Shaw - this Irish team are ranked bottom of all the teams in the competition. To be in the semis is a ridiculous upset of expectations. Hopefully they give Spain a right lash tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    Back in the days of the gravel pitches in Belfield, one of my mates had his nose demolished by a deflection (courtesy of the first runner's stick!) - he was second runner! Collecting the fragments of bone on the pitch delayed play for quite a while!
    Berserker wrote: »

Taking a hit from a shot is one of the most painful.

It's up there with any extreme sport

66QDK.gif

It's up there with any extreme sport

Up there with any extreme sport, now that's the biggest load of bull ever.

Up there with any extreme sport, now that's the biggest load of bull ever.

You wouldn't understand Sam, wouldn't have the balls to face down a penalty corner either I'd bet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well you sound lovely.

I'd say - as someone who played the game in the past - the skill and athleticism required at the elite level is pretty significant. The fact that our national teams have clawed their way up the standings over the years and benefited from the structures in place to more regularly qualify for major tournaments (the men will also take place in this year's world cup) is a testament to years of hard graft and dedication at all levels of the game. I don't really know how they did it tbh - when I was playing the sport was very much amateur and limited in its ambition at a national level. Great strides have been made and I can only imagine the hard work that went into it in all sorts of ways.

The players aren't full time in most cases but train and play like they are. Just as we laud our GAA stars (and rightly so), we should laud the level of dedication involved here.

Ultimately some achievement by Graham Shaw - this Irish team are ranked bottom of all the teams in the competition. To be in the semis is a ridiculous upset of expectations. Hopefully they give Spain a right lash tomorrow afternoon.

Ireland have caused such upsets that the event schedule has been changed as expected teams were not in expected scheduled spots before a ball was hit

bet he would not even be able to trap a ball

You're getting a bit childish now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

These ladies represent an elitest Ireland that has no connection to the majority of Irish sports fans. I actually hope they get hockeyed by Spain and then they can be quickly forgotten.

Are you serious? That's so bitter and petty I can't believe it.
    No interest in hockey myself but I'd always lend my support to an Irish team regardless of my perceptions of their background - do you know any of these women?
    You have no idea of them; you're as bad as the people you perceive yourself to be spiting.

You wouldn't understand Sam, wouldn't have the balls to face down a penalty corner either I'd bet

Don't think it would cause me too much hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

So is Rugby and the whole country is jerking off to it at the moment.

In the middle of the off season? Evidently a shower of stupid tossers! :D

215c5a7cc556a0776ea87bd5327f21c4.jpg

185de026cc0e64b771a1deea7e67dada--hockey-sport-hockey-players.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement