Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

Comments

England blew their chance when they didn't defeat the US, then subsequently didn't draw with Ireland. They'd have ended up on the Irish side of the draw and theoretically not met the Dutch so soon. No one was beating them anyway imo. It was just a matter of when the Dutch beat you, not if.

Glad you were keeping up, it all looked a bit complicated to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

[/b]

It's a bunch of bulls**t.

If the nordies who cannot relate to or respect the flag or anthem want to play internationally they can fcuk off and have their own team.

Well they do for soccer. How's that working out for you? Two ****e teams made up for the most part of English (and Scottish) rejects with Irish grannies, and domestic games with almost zero support.

But hey, best fans in the wurdled.

Fair play to the hockey players. (and the cricket and rugby guys and girls too)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, agreed, now you have the power, why don`t you issue a few cards like you were asked earlier.

This should be a celebration of all things good today, the girls who represented us today are all amateur athletes competing against professionals but you and the rest of the mods on here have allowed certain posters to turn this into a political / religous thread.

Now please, take some action

What an idiotic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Is it the same demographic as the Rugby teams upper middle class people from Dublin with a few from Ulster thrown in?

My kids play hockey, they are cabbage munching Catholic boggers from south co. Galway.....one of my kid plays in goals and she has been known to splash holy water on the attacking players, but to no effect, which would lead my to believe the it's not the exclusive domain of middle class unionists.....or else they have developed some secrete holy water resistant kit....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Is it the same demographic as the Rugby teams upper middle class people from Dublin with a few from Ulster thrown in?

My kids play hockey, they are cabbage munching Catholic boggers from south co. Galway.....one of my kid plays in goals and she has been known to splash holy water on the attacking players, but to no effect, which would lead my to believe the it's not the exclusive domain of middle class unionists.....or else they have developed some secrete holy water resistant kit....
    Most on the team are well heeled students or in professional type jobs, similar to how Irish rugby was pre pro era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some of the team also play GAA must really shock some people in here, captain Katie Mullan plays camogie shock horror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ireland really likes to celebrate losers in this country yet we had a two weight legit world champion and he got no love from the irish media even before he became an arsehole. Bizzare stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What’s the obsession with their backgrounds? Are they less Irish if they are doctors rather than working in a dry cleaners? Less Irish if they are Protestant or Jewish? What if some are Atheist would that lessen their Irishness? It seems a few think you have to be working class Catholic to consider yourself real Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

ricero wrote: »
    Ireland really likes to celebrate losers in this country yet we had a two weight legit world champion and he got no love from the irish media even before he became an arsehole. Bizzare stuff.

UFC has a rather dodgy ethical and legal standing, it's also a commercial entertainment enterprise rather than a traditional sports association.
    I'm not trying to knock Connor, he is without a doubt the best at what he does in the world, but don't compare apples and oranges.

salmocab wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with their backgrounds? Are they less Irish if they are doctors rather than working in a dry cleaners? Less Irish if they are Protestant or Jewish? What if some are Atheist would that lessen their Irishness? It seems a few think you have to be working class Catholic to consider yourself real Irish.
    They are less Irish if they play under a made up flag and refuse to acknowledge the anthem. Also some of them have participated in commonwealth games which is accepting the saxa-coburg gotha war mongress as their mistress. Some have British passports which under British law means they owe allegiance to the crown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ricero wrote: »

Before? If it's who I think you're talking about, that was clear very early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

judeboy101 wrote: »
    They are less Irish if they play under a made up flag and refuse to acknowledge the anthem. Also some of them have participated in commonwealth games which is accepting the saxa-coburg gotha war mongress as their mistress. Some have British passports which under British law means they owe allegiance to the crown.

Your entitled to your opinion but they are from Ireland and consider themselves Irish.

They are less Irish if they play under a made up flag

To you perhaps, but not the vast majority. And all flags are made up, ours is very contrived.

... and refuse to acknowledge the anthem.

No, they don't, they acknowledge the anthem assigned to them, but let's not get in the way of you having a good rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Exactly, I don't get it either. You'll see the same kind of comments in any thread about the Irish rugby team too.

Begrudgers love to go on about how these are elitist/exclusive sports yet they don't realise they are the only ones perpetuating that narrative - the reality is the teams contain players and supporters from all backgrounds (and are happier and stronger for it).

But then again they aren't interested in reality - they just want to cling on to their own bitter prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Whoa my brain hurts after that, hard-line partitionalism combined with barstool republican theory! But isn't the free state also an illegimate entity?

Everyone in Northern Ireland can have either passport just means you can get what is cheapest.

The flag and anthem you are talking about represents a 26 county Ireland they were playing for a 32 county Ireland. They are all proud to represent Ireland and deserve their home coming today

Your entitled to your opinion but they are from Ireland and consider themselves Irish.
    You can't be Irish with a British passport as it requires the holder to be allegiant to the crown. That's pretty clear cut.

Everyone in Northern Ireland can have either passport just means you can get what is cheapest.

The flag and anthem you are talking about represents a 26 county Ireland they were playing for a 32 county Ireland. They are all proud to represent Ireland and deserve their home coming today
    Men's team play under Irish flag and anthem at Olympics, surely if it is such an issue they would play Irelands call at Olympics?

Whoa my brain hurts after that, hard-line partitionalism combined with barstool republican theory! But isn't the free state also an illegimate entity?
    It might have been, which is why Ireland is a republic since the 40's.

Men's team play under Irish flag and anthem at Olympics, surely if it is such an issue they would play Irelands call at Olympics?

The Irish men's flag is the same as the women's.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

It's great to see a United Ireland team, it can only be a good thing with future unity in mind. We'll change our flag and anthem anyway when we unite. The GAA, athletics, hockey, criket, rugby, tennis, swimming and so on are all whole island associations. Is it only soccer that's split?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-judeboy101 don't post in the thread again. Reason-Ignoring mod instruction and general dickery(its a word)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Is it only soccer that's split?

I think so. (Technically, Ulster split from the rest of Ireland in chess actually, but there's no NI chess team, and NI players play for Ireland)

Olympics is a different thing

But when it is FIH game it is an all Island sport
    Test games, European Championship games, World League games and Olympic qualifiers, and World Cup games it will be Ireland's Call playing and the neutral flag

cdeb wrote: »
    I think so. (Technically, Ulster split from the rest of Ireland in chess actually, but there's no NI chess team, and NI players play for Ireland)

I think we need to make an All Ireland soccer league first then. That would be a major step towards forming a single team when unity happens. I know soccer fans are more inclined to be violent towards each other so some games will have to be watched carefully but, it's what has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we need to make an All Ireland soccer league first then. That would be a major step towards forming a single team when unity happens. I know soccer fans are more inclined to be violent towards each other so some games will have to be watched carefully but, it's what has to be done.

Ya every game I go to must kick **** out of 3,000 people's

Ya every game I go to must kick **** out of 3,000 people's

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The funny thing about this is that many people genuinely believe this....(albeit without the rabid stupidity of this particular post....)....
    But I genuinely believe the exact opposite.... They are far more Irish to me than a team that acknowledges only the republic, or only NI...
    They acknowledge our differences, political, religious, cultural.....but above all come together as Irish first and foremost...
    They are a living embodiment of what we should all be doing... So for me that makes them far more Irish

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What?

He's afraid of women so has to kick men, what don't you understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There was a post a few pages back (which I can't seem to find now ) which said that as the team came onto the pitch they were smiling and waving to crowd. I didn't see the game but can anyone confirm that?

bobbyss wrote: »
    There was a post a few pages back (which I can't seem to find now ) which said that as the team came onto the pitch they were smiling and waving to crowd. I didn't see the game but can anyone confirm that?

They enjoyed the occasion they came out with smiles so what they are proud of what they achieved

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I have great admiration for any who has the dedication to stick with their sport and pay it to this level.

I certainly wouldnt begrudge these players their success and am happy for them.

Its just sometimes Irish sports "fans" annoy me the way they go on

Its amazing how fans suddenly emerge for sports they knew nothing about 2 weeks ago. If jumping on bandwagons was an Olympic sport, we would win the gold medal every time.

So f*cking what?

At least we don't use the media to bash people performing above expectations like our good friends across the Irish Sea.

An Irish team got to a World Cup final when they weren't expected to get anywhere near it. It says more about how proud we are of those women representing us on a global stage even if we know little about the sport ourselves.

We've some right ol' begrudgers here haven't we? If you don't want to support them, then don't, but it's absolutely none of your business what other people decide to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

not too many "knowwarrameans" in that team :pac:

They enjoyed the occasion they came out with smiles so what they are proud of what they achieved

Did you see any waving to the crowd before the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hitchens wrote: »
    not too many "knowwarrameans" in that team :pac:

It will be intresting if any of them get careers in RTE out it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

As the great ricky Bobby said if you're not first you're last.they were smiling away,winking and blowing kisses during the anthem.no sign of a bite or a snarl in them at all.they were bet before the ball was thrown in. They want to be using more timber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Faugheen wrote: »
    So f*cking what?

At least we don't use the media to bash people performing above expectations like our good friends across the Irish Sea.

An Irish team got to a World Cup final when they weren't expected to get anywhere near it. It says more about how proud we are of those women representing us on a global stage even if we know little about the sport ourselves.

We've some right ol' begrudgers here haven't we? If you don't want to support them, then don't, but it's absolutely none of your business what other people decide to do.

We'll have to shut down the entire forum if that's the case.

Maybe it would be better that instead of people jumping on bandwagons they supported sport more consistently in this country and got involved more at grassroots level. Considering the amount of kids that spend far too much time sitting on their arses and not enough time outside playing it might be a good thing for the country.

We had a whole load of people complaining about the hockey team not being given enough financial support by the government while at the same time those complaining wouldn't have barely know the sport existed this time last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

We'll have to shut down the entire forum if that's the case.

Maybe it would be better that instead of people jumping on bandwagons they supported sport more consistently in this country and got involved more at grassroots level. Considering the amount of kids that spend far too much time sitting on their arses and not enough time outside playing it might be a good thing for the country.

We had a whole load of people complaining about the hockey team not being given enough financial support by the government while at the same time those complaining wouldn't have barely know the sport existed this time last week.
    Maybe successes like this will just peak people's interest and get more long term interest just like amny other sports.
    Yes people will have complained about the hockey teams funding(lack of) despite not knowing much about the team/sport last week but this success should see more interest in the sport in time

bobbyss wrote: »
    Did you see any waving to the crowd before the game?

Nope i think people are mixing up them coming out for the game with them coming out for their medals.

As for those going on about them smiling and winking during the anthem they know nothing about the sport and what an achievement this is and thinking they had a chance V Netherlands is just heads in the sky stuff.

If Ireland had of won yesterday it would have been like Cork beating Real Madrid in the Champions League final that was how big a task they were facing

Nope i think people are mixing up them coming out for the game with them coming out for their medals.

As for those going on about them smiling and winking during the anthem they know nothing about the sport and what an achievement this is and thinking they had a chance V Netherlands is just heads in the sky stuff.

If Ireland had of won yesterday it would have been like Cork beating Real Madrid in the Champions League final that was how big a task they were facing

Absolute rawmesh.of course they had a chance of winning it.what else were they there for.looking from them? They had every chance of winning it. They had the same amount of time on their hands to win it as the Netherlands if they showed their teeth and bit and went planting with timber instead of blowing kisses.

• Advertisement

Absolute rawmesh.of course they had a chance of winning it.what else were they there for.looking from them? They had every chance of winning it. They had the same amount of time on their hands to win it as the Netherlands if they showed their teeth and bit and went planting with timber instead of blowing kisses.

If Ireland had of went for that game they would have been beat by at least 10 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They were happy v Spain too and it worked out.

They did there best yesterday but they were up against a team who take Hockey as serious as we do Hurling.

I only found yesterday how big Hockey is in Holland. Womens team as the biggest viewing for Female team. Their funding is off scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They really should have came out with machetes and daubed in the blood of the Spaniards they vanquished in the previous round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I missed the pre-match protocols yesterday...I know they played Ireland’s call...but what flag was flown instead of the tricolour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I missed the pre-match protocols yesterday...I know they played Ireland’s call...but what flag was flown instead of the tricolour??

If you couldn’t be arsed watching, why are you asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Allinall wrote: »
    If you couldn’t be arsed watching, why are you asking?

I missed the start coz I was trying to calm two screaming children if you must know...hence the question....

Yep.

Can you imagine a football manager eg Alex Ferguson, allowing his team to go out with anything but a murderous intent. He would be crucified if that happened.

A white hankie tied to the top of a hockey stick with we surrender scrawled on it.and they implemented plan b aswell which involved smiling winking and blowing kisses at the opposition.
    In all fairness there would be plenty of time after the game for niceys. They had right to go planting with timber during the game and stretch a few of them.theres no prize for niceys. They had every right to play hard and compete for the win.they got that far why all the doubters all of a sudden.lads comparing their chance of winning to cork beating ac Milan.no need for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was looking through some pics on the Indo and this is from another game

1546170.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was looking through some pics on the Indo and this is from another game

1546170.jpg

Where the **** is the bloodlust. The decapitated heads of those who tried to fight them before.

And that namby pamby "Irelands Call" we should be giving them a fcuking war cry. Full mofcukin Braveheart, "YOU MAY WIN THIS MATCH BUT WE WILL TAKE YOUR FUKCIN LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES"

• Advertisement
Advertisement