Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Don't think it would cause me too much hardship.

Well, it's very evident that there'd be very little risk of a brain injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is why you can't begrudge these girls anything, they have worked hard for the past few years to get where they are and it is great to see the joy of that reward.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/hockey/45059267

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Turnipman wrote: »
    Well, it's very evident that there'd be very little risk of a brain injury.

Hilarious offering. Thanks for posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They are slight favourites to beat Spain according to bookies so by that they least have a decent chance to get to final. Holland are Hot favourites to win it according to them. (I'm only basing my opinion by that)

Women sport seems be going very well at minute in this country and that's great to see too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I have great admiration for any who has the dedication to stick with their sport and pay it to this level.

I certainly wouldnt begrudge these players their success and am happy for them.

Its just sometimes Irish sports "fans" annoy me the way they go on

They are slight favourites to beat Spain so by that they least have a decent chance to get to final. Holland are Hot favourites to win it according to them. (I'm only basing my opinion by that)

Women sport seems be going very well at minute in this country and that's great to see too.

They're also hot.

Ellen Moog

I think she's beautiful

https://alchetron.com/Ellen-Hoog#demo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They're also hot.

Ellen Moog

I think she's beautiful
    Oh yeah

moog-system35.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I have great admiration for any who has the dedication to stick with their sport and pay it to this level.

I certainly wouldnt begrudge these players their success and am happy for them.

Its just sometimes Irish sports "fans" annoy me the way they go on

Its amazing how fans suddenly emerge for sports they knew nothing about 2 weeks ago. If jumping on bandwagons was an Olympic sport, we would win the gold medal every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Sam Hain wrote:
    Hilarious offering. Thanks for posting

Sam. You obviously haven't a bulls notion about hockey or what's involved in playing it at a high level. I don't either btw.
    So why have you taking it upon yourself to be the cranky old kill joy?
    Just wondering.

• Advertisement

They are slight favourites to beat Spain according to bookies so by that they least have a decent chance to get to final. Holland are Hot favourites to win it according to them. (I'm only basing my opinion by that)

Netherlands are overwhelming favourites best team in the World.

Ireland and Spain would be close together but before it started neither team would have been expected to be in the semi final.

Expected Semi final line up would have been
    Australia V Netherlands
    Argentina V England

But Ireland and Germany won their pools upsetting that. England really shot themselves in the foot by beating Ireland and having a Quarter Final V Netherlands and not letting Ireland win in the pool game to be playing Ireland in the Quarter Final.

Bit like this years Football World Cup one side of the draw ended up top heavy with top teams and other side with the so called weaker teams because of pool game upsets

Ireland woman were ranked 16th at the start of the Cup, 2nd lowest only ahead of Italy.

Spain are ranked 11th

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Its amazing how fans suddenly emerge for sports they knew nothing about 2 weeks ago. If jumping on bandwagons was an Olympic sport, we would win the gold medal every time.

There's no doubt about it.

They're also hot.

Ellen Moog

I think she's beautiful

https://alchetron.com/Ellen-Hoog#demo

Sorry to break it to you she is not at this years World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I played hockey when I was in college down in IT Carlow, that was far from a prod school :/

Had no experience beforehand bar the usual messing around in PE class in secondary school but one the the lads on another team played and they needed a goalkeeper. Gave me the pads and helmet and told me to stand there, let people fling things at me and stop them with my body. Spent two years at inter-collegiate level and it was great fun....apart from when we had to play Trinity (or Pearse Street IT as I like to call them), those fcukers made up half of the leinster team.

Great achievement for a minority sport to be getting this far in a competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Roger_007 wrote:

Its not amazing at all. Winning is attractive. Attractive young fit ladies are...attractive.
    National pride finds such endeavours ....attractive.

We've been too negative on ourselves for years, as a nation.

I give my full support to the brave achieving ladies with lovely bottoms. Verily, it is God experiencing Himself.

:D

Roger_007 wrote: »

But hockey is a popular minority sport in Ireland, behind the big ones. It just doesn't get any attention for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well you sound lovely.

I'd say - as someone who played the game in the past - the skill and athleticism required at the elite level is pretty significant. The fact that our national teams have clawed their way up the standings over the years and benefited from the structures in place to more regularly qualify for major tournaments (the men will also take place in this year's world cup) is a testament to years of hard graft and dedication at all levels of the game. I don't really know how they did it tbh - when I was playing the sport was very much amateur and limited in its ambition at a national level. Great strides have been made and I can only imagine the hard work that went into it in all sorts of ways.

The players aren't full time in most cases but train and play like they are. Just as we laud our GAA stars (and rightly so), we should laud the level of dedication involved here.

Ultimately some achievement by Graham Shaw - this Irish team are ranked bottom of all the teams in the competition. To be in the semis is a ridiculous upset of expectations. Hopefully they give Spain a right lash tomorrow afternoon.

I'm woefully unfamiliar with the sport but how highly ranked are Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

An Irish team has gotten to the pinacle of world competition. I'm not sure why there'd be any begrudgery about this.

I'm sure the team would love people to jump on the bandwagon and support them.

It takes a very particular type of inferiority complex to be bitter about people you don't personally know, playing a sport you know nothing about.

P_1 wrote: »
    I'm woefully unfamiliar with the sport but how highly ranked are Spain?

Ireland 16th
    Spain 11th

Sorry to break it to you she is not at this years World Cup

She's still great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I played hockey when I was in college down in IT Carlow, that was far from a prod school :/

Had no experience beforehand bar the usual messing around in PE class in secondary school but one the the lads on another team played and they needed a goalkeeper. Gave me the pads and helmet and told me to stand there, let people fling things at me and stop them with my body. Spent two years at inter-collegiate level and it was great fun....apart from when we had to play Trinity (or Pearse Street IT as I like to call them), those fcukers made up half of the leinster team.

"Hey you, wanna become a skilled sportsperson, well just throw on these pads and let the magic happen"

• Advertisement

Hehe I was part of the NUI Maynooth club and we had similar troubles trying to get enough people to field a team sometimes,trying to round up friends and friends of friends who might have played it in school the morning of a tournament and you'd end up with a totally random level of skill on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

We can win this World Cup you know? I hope we hockey them out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Can anyone remember whats that song by the Pixies that has a spoken word bit by Kim Deal talking about a guy with a weird sexual thing for female field hockey players?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Great game to watch actually.

Massive skill involved, like Protestant hurling as the saying goes.

I'll be watching them against Spain. Hope they do them.

Hon Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Sam. You obviously haven't a bulls notion about hockey or what's involved in playing it at a high level. I don't either btw.
    So why have you taking it upon yourself to be the cranky old kill joy?
    Just wondering.

Maybe because he is an obvious troll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Turnipman wrote: »
    Back in the days of the gravel pitches in Belfield, one of my mates had his nose demolished by a deflection (courtesy of the first runner's stick!) - he was second runner! Collecting the fragments of bone on the pitch delayed play for quite a while!
    Did he have a stiff upper lip ?:eek:

Great game to watch actually.

Massive skill involved, like Protestant hurling as the saying goes.

I'll be watching them against Spain. Hope they do them.

Hon Ireland

It is actually changing according to the ones who run Ulster hockey going by names of registered players, in fact the girl in the team from here who is playing is a cousin of Darren Gibson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can anyone remember whats that song by the Pixies that has a spoken word bit by Kim Deal talking about a guy with a weird sexual thing for female field hockey players?

No, but I'm fcukin' intrigued.

I'll have to go and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It is actually changing according to the ones who run Ulster hockey going by names of registered players, in fact the girl in the team from here who is playing is a cousin of Darren Gibson
    The Daly girl is a niece of Derek Daly.

F1 driver in 70s.

Off to the pub with the rest of the hockey team I am involved with to cheer the girls on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I won't pretend to be an avid supporter but delighted to hear the ladies are doing well. Fair play to them.

I'm surprised at the notion of hockey as connected to elitist schools though. Every Catholic all girls school I know plays hockey. I played in the very ordinary convent school I went to. Couldn't be further from "prod" or well to do round here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I could Google it I know...when's the semi final? Be an idea to add that to the thread title?!

SeaFields wrote: »
    I could Google it I know...when's the semi final? Be an idea to add that to the thread title?!

The Ireland-Spain semi final is due to start in five minutes time. BTW I didn`t realize that Irelands Call was used as the anthem for the hockey team. I always associated it with rugby only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SeaFields wrote: »

Rte2 now! :)

Great to see the smiles of the Irish team as they ran into the pitch!
    I've no idea what's going on, but COYGIG!!!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Rte2 now! :)

Great to see the smiles of the Irish team as they ran into the pitch!
    I've no idea what's going on, but COYGIG!!!

Ireland have taken the lead after 3 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

George Hamilton flown over to get more names wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watching it now, it's a little like watching the womens beach volleyball without the guilt.

Well, assuming he is not commentating from the RTE studio, I suppose London is only a short flight away from Dublin. Not as far as Russia is for sure.

The Ireland-Spain semi final is due to start in five minutes time. BTW I didn`t realize that Irelands Call was used as the anthem for the hockey team. I always associated it with rugby only.

Used for Rugby, Hockey and Cricket team

• Advertisement

Watching it now, it's a little like watching the womens beach volleyball without the guilt.

It's the second semi final that is most likely to cause a rustle in the pants with the two fittest teams around (Netherlands v Australia)

Used for Rugby, Hockey and Cricket team

Well, I learn something new every day.

Took so damn long to find a stream of this, I really wish RTE would unblock their player for people outside the country for one off events like this

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Most difficult sport I ever played. Defending short corners was the stuff of nightmares.

It's the second semi final that is most likely to cause a rustle in the pants with the two fittest teams around (Netherlands v Australia)

RTE are not broadcasting that match though not live coverage anyway. Not sure if it is being shown elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

RTE are not broadcasting that match though not live coverage anyway. Not sure if it is being shown elsewhere.

BT Sport 3

• Advertisement

Melodeon wrote: »
    BT Sport 3

Yep, anyone looking for streams should 'check' that channel too

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When did they start wearing face masks on the short corners?

Anyone noticed that when a free is given Hamilton does not explain why it was given.

So anyway the Irish team are 1-0 up at the halfway point. Hopefully they will stay ahead for the rest of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

He needs to be brought out the back of the RTE buildings - two bullets to the head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement