Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If it is the Netherlands, Ireland would need their version on miracle on Ice like USA V USSR back in the 80's in a winter olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Also, while not officially a World Cup, an Irish team of Eamonn Darcy, Ronan Rafferty and Des Smyth won the Dunhill Cup golf tournament in 1988 which really was a World Cup in all but name with the top players of the time all involved.

My Da won the World Cup Trout Fly Fishing Competituon in the 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

We won 3 Snooker World Cups in 80s

Just saying :)

Fantastic achievement by Girls today. Hope they get the Gold

And the golf world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Try_harder wrote: »
    What turned their fortunes around?

Probably knowing they had my support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There won't be a cow milked for a week in Sandymount...:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Any ideas of how we can sink the Dutch ?

Remove fingers from Dykes , I suppose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

blinding wrote: »

Dammed if I know...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

blinding wrote: »

That’s surely something that happens before every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Written by Phil Coulter. Hardly a winner of a school contest. Who would you suggest writes a new song to replace it?

Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

NIMAN wrote: »
    We'll all be cheering on the Aussies apparently (which is something I could never see myself doing), cos supposedly we could beat them, whereas the Dutch would spank us in the final.

I'd imagine there'd be a few letters into Mailbag if they showed that on RTE on a Sunday afternoon :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They seem determined to go after goals. For the final they should just take their points and let the goals look after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

flazio wrote: »
    They seem determined to go after goals. For the final they should just take their points and let the goals look after themselves.

ball can't go above the knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

How many of the team will be playing for England next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Chloe Watkins is a fine looking young lady. She'll be advertising supermarkets in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some sponsors need to come onboard and sort them out, should be no problems after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Isn't it great to see an all Ireland team, catholic & protestant nationalist & unionist...getting to a World Cup final

savour it folks it may never happen again

best of luck Girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

fryup wrote: »
    Isn't great to see an all Ireland team, catholic & protestant nationalist & unionist...getting to a World Cup final

best of luck Girls

It is indeed and congrats to all involved.
    I know little about the game bar watching it during the Olympics which I thoroughly enjoy. I've never actually seen a game live but would like to.
    It looks a damn tough sport and this is a tough competition, 1/4 final on Thursday, semi on Saturday and final on Sunday. That's some going.
    Whatever happens tomorrow this squad should be guaranteed RTE's team of the year come December.
    Good luck to all tomorrow.

Underfunded sport achieving lots men also need to pay and need sponsorship for their World Cup in December

• Advertisement

How many of the team will be playing for England next year?

Why would they play for England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Comhghairdeachas Lassies. Well done.

Great achievement.

Pay no heed to the begrudgers.

From a fundamentalist GAA follower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Very Lesbian-ish . Same rule for the men I suppose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Underfunded sport achieving lots men also need to pay and need sponsorship for their World Cup in December

Too true, hopefully this will persuade a sponsor to come in and help. Its not going to be cheap sending the squad to India for a month.

The men have a tough group mind you, China, Australia and England.

Anyway thats for another day, for today lets all get behind the girls and join the Green Army. Hopefully we can put some pressure on the Oranje girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Clareman wrote: »
    Fair play to them, first Irish team to get to a World Cup final

Ireland won the Croquet World Cup in 2014.

Tier 2, but at least we won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Really hope that they beat the Dutch, they're always such sore losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think my joke went over your head a little. Still though I wonder how many of those girls ever tried picking up a camogie stick before a hockey stick.
    Also, if that's the case (and yes I am a band wagon wheeler) how was that Spanish lob over the keeper in the shoot out legal?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

flazio wrote: »
    I think my joke went over your head a little. Still though I wonder how many of those girls ever tried picking up a camogie stick before a hockey stick.
    Also, if that's the case (and yes I am a band wagon wheeler) how was that Spanish lob over the keeper in the shoot out legal?
    You can lift the ball in some circumstances, but only with a push, not a strike as far as I remember, and there are rules about how much space you have to be in to do it.

Usually means you can only do it when there's nobody close to you or the person receiving the ball.

You can also be penalised for dangerous play even if you keep the ball low, e.g. if you smash the ball in the direction of an opponent at close range. I can tell you from personal experience that even with shin guards it hurts like hell when the ball strikes your shins.

Alun wrote: »
    Really hope that they beat the Dutch, they're always such sore losers.

yes, but they're gorgeous

so they can pout all they want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Isn't it great to see an all Ireland team, catholic & protestant nationalist & unionist...getting to a World Cup final

best of luck Girls

It's not great at all, and those are big reasons it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

awec wrote: »

I can tell you from personal experience that even with shin guards it hurts like hell when the ball strikes your shins.

It hurts far more when you get hit a bit higher up. And the resulting bruise lasts for a very long time. :eek:

Patww79 wrote: »

Not enough Muslims and/or Travellers on the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

awec wrote: »
    I can tell you from personal experience that even with shin guards it hurts like hell when the ball strikes your shins.
    I seem to remember being strongly of the opinion that they must make hockey balls by taking a piece of granite and whittling away all the soft parts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone decked out their house in bunting?

Turnipman wrote: »
    Not enough Muslims and/or Travellers on the team?

Too many northies and not a real Irish team. Don't know why we always need to lump in with that lot for these fake national teams. Any win by one of them is hollow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

give over with your SF begrudgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

"Irelands Call" is our national anthem :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

vicwatson wrote: »
    "Irelands Call" is our national anthem :mad::mad:

Is it a 32 county team?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Too many northies and not a real Irish team. Don't know why we always need to lump in with that lot for these fake national teams. Any win by one of them is hollow.

Like most sports here it’s based on an island wide participation and ran as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

give over with your SF begrudgery

Id say the Shinners would be only too happy with a 32 county team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You might want to remember its 2018 not 1968 which is where your attitude belongs in a bygone era.

salmocab wrote: »
    Like most sports in here it’s based on an island wide participation and ran as such

Wrongly, which is why we end up stuck with fake flags and **** anthems to appease our orange overlords.

Wrongly, which is why we end up stuck with fake flags and **** anthems to appease our orange overlords.

You mean like the West Indies cricket team?

Shocking altogether and shouldn't be allowed.

salmocab wrote: »
    Like most sports here it’s based on an island wide participation and ran as such

Which is the way all of them should be IMO.

plenty of tricolors flown yesterday..not one NI flag to be seen.i think they're appeasing us more like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Turnipman wrote: »
    It hurts far more when you get hit a bit higher up. And the resulting bruise lasts for a very long time. :eek:
    Try being hit on the head. (By your own goalkeeper!!)

Still have the bump 20 years on

washman3 wrote: »
    It is indeed and congrats to all involved.
    I know little about the game bar watching it during the Olympics which I thoroughly enjoy. I've never actually seen a game live but would like to.
    It looks a damn tough sport and this is a tough competition, 1/4 final on Thursday, semi on Saturday and final on Sunday. That's some going.
    Whatever happens tomorrow this squad should be guaranteed RTE's team of the year come December.
    Good luck to all tomorrow.

I would think that, regardless of the result today, the Irish Rugby Grand Slam winning squad will win that award.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Id say the Shinners would be only too happy with a 32 county team.

yes, but made up of irish catholic nationalists only...who would eventually be forced to take up camogie :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Typical pathetic response. We living in 2018 not 1718. You are probably the type that goes on about parity of esteem but when anyone not to your liking achieves something worthwhile you retreat back into your narrowminded attitudes of nationalism

yes, but made up of irish catholic nationalists only...who would eventually be forced to take up camogie :cool:

I know this is not the point youre making, but on a purely sporting technical level hurling/camogie and hockey have little enough in common.

• Advertisement
Advertisement