Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

flazio wrote: »
    I think my joke went over your head a little. Still though I wonder how many of those girls ever tried picking up a camogie stick before a hockey stick.
    Also, if that's the case (and yes I am a band wagon wheeler) how was that Spanish lob over the keeper in the shoot out legal?

That goal was perfectly legal.

The only time the ball has to be low in a shot is at a penalty corner and that is when it is a slap shot, if a player can drag flick the shot then it can be at any height.

If you go for a shot and a defender is less than 5 meters away it will be a free hit out if it hits above the knee, if defender is further back it will be a penalty corner.

If a player has to take avoiding measures and in line with a high ball it will be a free hit against the person playing the high ball.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Wrongly, which is why we end up stuck with fake flags and **** anthems to appease our orange overlords.

If you don’t like it then there is an easy solution, stop reading the thread.

The sporting bodies did not split in Rugby, Cricket, Golf, Boxing, Hockey and GAA. Football is really the only sporting body to split all the others see their sports as an all island sport. In the spirit of inclusion some have taken to playing Ireland’s Call and having a green flag with the Provences shield. Surely it is better for such a small island to play as i whole island rather than split it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Underfunded sport achieving lots men also need to pay and need sponsorship for their World Cup in December

If, as you state, the men`s team are looking for sponsorship for the World Cup in India, how does current Irish Sports Council funding for hockey compare with the past, say during the Rio Olympic cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If, as you state, the men`s team are looking for sponsorship for the World Cup in India, how does current Irish Sports Council funding for hockey compare with the past, say during the Rio Olympic cycle?

Id imagine a big difficulty is that funding say Katie Taylor for 40,000 a year brings in much more bang for your buck than funding a team. The sports council really target the money they give out but giving 40,000 to a team (over a year) doesn’t help them play like pros. Not that I think hockey would turn down any amount and I’m sure they deserve some.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

give over with your SF begrudgery

Bizarre. Somebody comes out with a partitionist worldview worthy of John Bruton & Fine Gael and you even manage to blame SF for it. Impressive consistency there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plenty of Irish names in the Hockeyroos squad. Must be descended from camogie players who were deported.

http://hockey.org.au/High-Performance/Hockeyroos-womens-team/Hockeyroos-Squad-Profiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sam Hain wrote: »
    What a boring match against India, yawnfest and the penalities are comical. Not much skill involved in the game either. These ladies represent an elitest Ireland that has no connection to the majority of Irish sports fans. I actually hope they get hockeyed by Spain and then they can be quickly forgotten.

Wow what a miserable post.

These ladies represent our country and are doing a very good job at it. I don't particularly like hockey, but I don't have to either to be happy for their success.
    Too many northies and not a real Irish team. Don't know why we always need to lump in with that lot for these fake national teams. Any win by one of them is hollow.

What sort of ignorant nonsense is that? I really shouldn't be surprised, as it's a cookie cutter post from yourself. What's with the hatred. You know, ya mentality like your own was a major part of the issues the North faced during the troubles. It has no place in modern society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

For the Rio 2016 Olympic cycle the Mens Team ran various fund raising schemes on their own initiative as an attempt to raise the €550,000 shortfall between the ISC funding and actual cost of the trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

If you don’t like it then there is an easy solution, stop reading the thread.

The sporting bodies did not split in Rugby, Cricket, Golf, Boxing, Hockey and GAA. Football is really the only sporting body to split all the others see their sports as an all island sport. In the spirit of inclusion some have taken to playing Ireland’s Call and having a green flag with the Provences shield. Surely it is better for such a small island to play as i whole island rather than split it

You seem to be very well informed and I guess would have a background in the Irish Hockey community.

Ignore that poster, he has posted bilous sectarian nonsense in the " 12th July Orgy of Hatred" thread. Don`t let it divert this thread from its original set up.

Perhaps with the day that is in it, one of the mods could issue a card to that poster telling him not to post in this thread again ( there seems to be a number of mods on this thread )

This is a day of celebration for the Irish Ladies team and the girls especially so we should be getting behind them and supporting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

These ladies represent our country and are doing a very good job at it. I don't particularly like hockey, but I don't have to either to be happy for their success.

What sort of ignorant nonsense is that? I really shouldn't be surprised, as it's a cookie cutter post from yourself. What's with the hatred. You know, ya mentality like your own was a major part of the issues the North faced during the troubles. It has no place in modern society.

If he read through the background of the players he would see a Kilmacud Crokes, Ballyboden, Laois Harps involvement with some of the players. But then its easier to resort to narrow minded knuckle dragging stereotypes of a hundred years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It has plenty of place. They're nothing to do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Any of these ladies from Finglas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It has plenty of place. They're nothing to do with us.

I think the hundreds of thousands who will view the final will disagree with you but then you are probably the type that that doesnt recognises other peoples opinion

Drifter50 wrote: »
    You seem to be very well informed and I guess would have a background in the Irish Hockey community.

Ignore that poster, he has posted bilous sectarian nonsense in the " 12th July Orgy of Hatred" thread. Don`t let it divert this thread from its original set up.

Perhaps with the day that is in it, one of the mods could issue a card to that poster telling him not to post in this thread again ( there seems to be a number of mods on this thread )

This is a day of celebration for the Irish Ladies team and the girls especially so we should be getting behind them and supporting them

I am a junior umpire with Ulster hockey from a green background as some people would say. Just laugh at people who bring politics into sport

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am a junior umpire with Ulster hockey from a green background as some people would say. Just laugh at people who bring politics into sport
    What exactly is the rules about goalkeepers coming for the ball?

I played for our school team but I'm going to be honest and say I never completely wrapped my head around the rules. Given I was completely wiped out by keepers more than once it seems theses padded fcukers are exempt from all the rules around contact? :pac:

Edgware wrote: »
    I think the hundreds of thousands who will view the final will disagree with you but then you are probably the type that that doesnt recognises other peoples opinion

I do when they're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Too many northies and not a real Irish team. Don't know why we always need to lump in with that lot for these fake national teams. Any win by one of them is hollow.

Even if it involves smashing orange bastards? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

We’re up ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Come on Ireland :)

/Shouts from the bandwagon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

No tricolour no amhran na bhfainn. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

IRELAND! IRELAND! TOGETHER STANDING TALL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

judeboy101 wrote: »
    No tricolour no amhran na bhfainn. I'm out.

Good luck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Great achievement for the team to reach the World Hockey Cup Final.

Won't be easy against the number 1 team Netherlands

Ireland, Ireland, together...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

National Anthem of Ireland.....? Bloody hell it's a bad tune whatever one thinks about the official version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why aren't we playing our national anthem? World Cup final ffs. Absolute ****ing joke.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Get to a world cup final....Ireland's call is played, such a shame.

Best of luck to them, tough task but they look like they'll enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Can never understand why some people are oblivious to the idea of an all island team.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Why aren't we playing our national anthem? World Cup final ffs. Absolute ****ing joke.

The same reason they don't play it for Rugby matches

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Never thought I'd be shouting for a crowd of orange women, c'mon Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Mushy wrote: »
    Get to a world cup final....Ireland's call is played, such a shame.

Best of luck to them, tough task but they look like they'll enjoy it

In fairness, there are a number of players of a Unionist background in the squad, similar to the cricket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You can't play amhráin ná bhían to represent Northern Irish players. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

laugh wrote: »
    Can never understand why some people are oblivious to the idea of an all island team.
    Or care so much about 45 seconds of a song before any game. It makes no difference and if it bothers you then you've a lot more to be concerned about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

MON Ireland

flazio wrote: »
    You can't play amhráin ná bhían to represent Northern Irish players. Simple as that.

They shouldn't be in the team then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Never thought I'd be shouting for a crowd of orange women, c'mon Holland.

Troll alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

laugh wrote: »

Hockey ar la !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

They shouldn't be in the team then.

Says you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do any shops sell Irish hockey jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In fairness, there are a number of players of a Unionist background in the squad, similar to the cricket.

I know, it's just a terrible song. Would just prefer the anthem be played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cmon Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stojkovic wrote: »
    MON Ireland

They'd never have qualified if it were MON Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Mushy wrote: »
    I know, it's just a terrible song. Would just prefer the anthem be played

Watch the game and stop whinging about anthems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

:o no coming back now

Berserker wrote: »
    Watch the game and stop whinging about anthems.

This is AH, surely there's a match thread in a hockey forum somewhere here for those of you that learned the rules last night?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Am I seeing things? Women playing sport and it's being televised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

This is AH, surely there's a match thread in a hockey forum somewhere here for those of you that learned the rules last night?

Ah stop! Played the game for years when I was in school. My younger sister plays for one of the clubs which has players in the Irish squad there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Choosing to play Ireland's Call and not having the national flag flying IS bringing politics into sport.

doylefe wrote: »
    Am I seeing things? Women playing sport and it's being televised?

First time watching TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Choosing to play Ireland's Call and not having the national flag flying IS bringing politics into sport.
    No its not. Its the opposite. Each of Irelands call and the flag flown are completely non political.

Advertisement