Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

4-0, yep it's a shellacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

Lads the football is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Getting hammered!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

This is battle of the Boyne all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Patww79 wrote: »
    They shouldn't be in the team then.

You're one ignorant piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Could turn into a hockey score here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

awec wrote: »
    Why don’t you fcuk off and give us all a bit of peace? Why do the rest of us have to appease miserable whingebags like you?

Oh it's you that banned me from rugby for not agreeing with the group think that the RWC 2023 was a good idea.

I'm a fan of partition and a 26 county Republic of Ireland and a separate Northern Ireland, and I'd like to see it in sport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    You try getting hit in the face with a hockey ball.

nah pal im alright. bit too hungover. thanks for the offer though.

Tyrone won.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Should you not be watching Dublin vs. Roscommon?

I am

I'm not on the hockey bandwagon, never was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

judeboy101 wrote: »
    So what happens if they qualify for Olympics? Pull a Rory so they don't have to walk behind the flag or stand on a podium to the anthem?

rio 2016 men's hockey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    Tyrone won.

2 mins left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I am

I'm not on the hockey bandwagon, never was

But you go on hockey threads rambling about politics?

Good "man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well in that case why don't Northern Irish players fcuk off and form a Northern Ireland team.

Why do we have to appease a group of people who have zero respect for our flag or anthem.

Because hockey isba 32 county sport not a 26 and 6 county sport the nordies ladies are very happy to represent Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Oh it's you that banned me from rubgy for not agreeing with the group think that the RWC 2023 was a good idea.

I'm a fan of partition and a 26 county Republic of Ireland and a separate Northern Ireland, and I'd like to see it in sport too.

Are you in the GAA forum telling them to kick Armagh etc out of the Gaelic Football championship?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So what happens if they qualify for Olympics? Pull a Rory so they don't have to walk behind the flag or stand on a podium to the anthem?

Newsflash for you. The Irish men`s hockey team played in the Rio Olympics where the tricolour was flown and Amhran na BhFiann was the anthem. But then you knew that already.

pjohnson wrote: »
    But you go on hockey threads rambling about politics?

Good "man"

One of the few that can multitask

laugh wrote: »
    Are you in the GAA forum telling them to kick Armagh etc out of the Gaelic Football championship?

I'd be all for it.

I'd be all for it.

Go tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

laugh wrote: »

But that's an All Ireland IRISH game ;) Hockey is a west Brit game, I think that's the issue for some.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Newsflash for you. The Irish men`s hockey team played in the Rio Olympics where the tricolour was flown and Amhran na BhFiann was the anthem. But then you knew that already.
    So why change for a world cup final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ABBA's Dancing Queen is unlikely to be on any of the Irish teams playlists for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Do ladies qualify for Olympics Automatically after this even if they get beaten her?

Do ladies qualify for Olympics Automatically after this even if they get beaten her?

Nope.

doylefe wrote: »
    2 mins left?

Tyrone won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're one ignorant piece of work.

Why, because I've different beliefs to you? Dry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No it appears it's continental tournaments you can qualify through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But that's an All Ireland IRISH game ;) Hockey is a west Brit game, I think that's the issue for some.

This is the truth tbh. It's the very same boyos whining here were also whining about that "soccer" player invading Pairc Ui Caoimh with his "foreign" game.

No and neither will the Dutch automatically qualify for the 2020 Olympics even if/when they win the world title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Falling-off-Bandwagon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Just checked the score it's hardly that big a surprise is it considering they scraped through on penalties in the 2 previous rounds and the netherlands always seem to be at the top in womens hockey.

Really looking forward to all the pathetic politicians in this country jumping on this bandwagon for the photo opportunity when the team arrives home.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just checked the score it's hardly that big a surprise is it considering they scraped through on penalties in the 2 previous rounds and the netherlands always seem to be at the top in womens hockey.

Really looking forward to all the pathetic politicians in this country jumping on this bandwagon for the photo opportunity when the team arrives home.
    Ha.

Some people are absolutely raging that Ireland have made it to a final. :pac::pac::pac:

Thankfully the Netherlands will be underwater soon

awec wrote: »
    Ha.

Some people are absolutely raging that Ireland have made it to a final. :pac::pac::pac:

Not really however looking at things now it would have been much better for the team to have been beaten narrowly yesterday rather than get a pasting like this in a final.They could have left the tournament with some sort of decent result rather than a pasting.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not really however looking at things now it would have been much better for the team to have been beaten narrowly yesterday rather than get a pasting like this in a final.They could have left the tournament with some sort of decent result rather than a pasting.
    They're getting a silver medal. Potentially the irish sporting achievement of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Getting to a final is certainly a decent result regardless of today’s outcome.

I'm not on this banwagon but that is the most stupid argument I have seen. And it's an argument you see from time to time in many sports.

They got to the final, good for them, it's always better than not getting to the final.

Getting this far is a massive achievement. Look at Netherlands group stage results, all against teams higher than Ireland. Should they not have shown up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Noveight wrote: »

Decent? It's an outstanding result. This team has stepped up to the mark and finished second in the world. Now it's time for the powers that be here to start investing in the sport. The politicians will be all over this team when they come back. Let's hope they bring their cheque books with them and we start to see a few mill in funding.

• Advertisement

I'm not on this banwagon but that is the most stupid argument I have seen. And it's an argument you see from time to time in many sports.

They got to the final, good for them, it's always better than not getting to the final.

I wonder if the Waterford Hurlers of 2008 would agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

ABBA's Dancing Queen is unlikely to be on any of the Irish teams playlists for a while.

Are ABBA sponsoring this tournament or something? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Mushy wrote: »
    Getting this far is a massive achievement. Look at Netherlands group stage results, all against teams higher than Ireland. Should they not have shown up?

The Netherlands are the best of the best. As I said before they won gold in two out of the last three Olympic games and their record at the rest of the major championships is just as impressive. A blue print for the sport here to work off. Problem is funding is distributed fairly over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Got to point out that only 5 other countries have competed in the previous 13 world cup finals ( one of them, Canada, only appeared once) and the Dutch have won 7 of those finals. We were the worst ranked team going into the tournament. Anyone who thinks a loss here degrades the achievements of the team in anyway should go remove themselves from the gene-pool immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Well done Ireland for getting to the final.

Berserker wrote: »
    Decent? It's an outstanding result. This team has stepped up to the mark and finished second in the world. Now it's time for the powers that be here to start investing in the sport. The politicians will be all over this team when they come back. Let's hope they bring their cheque books with them and we start to see a few mill in funding.

The same views were expressed after Ireland won silver medals in rowing and sailing in the Rio Olympics. There was no huge increase in funding for those sports then so I cant see why things would be any different for the hockey teams.

• Advertisement

zetalambda wrote: »
    Are ABBA sponsoring this tournament or something? :D

If so Neil Diamond must be doing the same as Sweet Caroline was just played in the stadium.

The Netherlands are the best of the best. As I said before they won gold in two out of the last three Olympic games and their record at the rest of the major championships is just as impressive. A blue print for the sport here to work off. Problem is funding is distributed fairly over there.

There are only 168 clubs on the island. Dutch hockey has 350,000 members we don't come close to that.

This happens every time we get some sort of positive result in a sport "throw funding at it" without people considering that maybe the level of interest doesn't justify throwing millions at it in order to chase a small bit of success.

The entire point of sport is to get people out playing not to throw money at something for the sake of getting medals.

Exactly, don't think anybody can criticise the team today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Blaring music after a score is obnoxious enough, blaring it during the match is even worse.

Noveight wrote: »

Agreed, it's a brilliant result great achievement by them , I meant it more that instead of leaving the tournament with a bad beating exiting with a good result by winning a 3rd place playoff rather than by losing heavily in a final.

• Advertisement
Advertisement