Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go jolly hockey sticks!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- For fück sake ye bunch of fücking muppets. Just enjoy Ireland doing well. No need for the digs at the ladies or to turn this in to a political debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

They should be very proud. Fantastic achievement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is still great for Ireland if it it was a heavy defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Irish coach might score :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Probably the only time Ireland will ever get to the final of a world cup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Rte commentator " what a day to be alive " ah lads come on.seriously?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

No shame in getting to a world cup final. It's pretty hard for amateur teams to be playing against a professional team. We see that in sports closer to home even. :D
    I don't know if the finance is there but going professional would be nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

A formality, but no shame in it just more oranje crush

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Dutch were just ruthless today, their performance yesterday probably pushed them to play harder today. We had one of the best defences of the tournament up till today and the actual goalkeeper of the tournament and conceded 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Goalkeeper if the tournament. Amazing stuff.
    So we probably now have the 2 best keepers in the world women's and men's (David Harte)

• Advertisement

Goalkeeper if the tournament. Amazing stuff.
    So we probably now have the 2 best keepers in the world women's and men's (David Harte)

Edit: sorry meant for the other thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Italy, Spain, Germany, England, Australia, USA, Argentina, China, South Korea, Belgium, Japan, India.

That's the most of the Countries Ireland did better then in this World Cup.

It's not like it was Fiji or some small Islands they were up against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Italy, Spain, Germany, England, Australia, USA, Argentina, China, South Korea, Belgium, Japan, India.

England (aka Team GB) were the reigning Olympic champions from Rio 2016 and were hosting the tournament and failed to medal : that gives you an indication of what the Irish women achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Its the standard of the opposition youre playing against that counts not their nationality.

The netherlands is one of the smallest nations in europe and their team is the best in the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Strazdas wrote:
    England (aka Team GB) were the reigning Olympic champions from Rio 2016 and were hosting the tournament and failed to medal : that gives you an indication of what the Irish women achieved.

We did lose to them though. Topping the group really set us up as the top 5 ranked teams all went into the other half of the draw.

Great achievement by them though. Wouldn't mind going to Coppers if they're heading there to celebrate either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    it's pretty hard for amateur teams to be playing against a professional team. We see that in sports closer to home even. :D

Be sure to mention this post in your Dispute Resolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its the standard of the opposition youre playing against that counts not their nationality.

The netherlands is one of the smallest nations in europe and their team is the best in the business.

They have a population of over 17 milion. That's still 3 times more then we have.

Not huge population but ain't that small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's the 11th most populous country in Europe. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's the 11th most populous country in Europe. :confused:

And a powerhouse in international sport. Eight gold medals and 11th on the medals table in Rio (12th in London).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Rte commentator " what a day to be alive " ah lads come on.seriously?

In fairness every day is a good day to be alive.sure beats being dead I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fair play to the women for reaching the final but didn't fancy their chances today.i saw them during the anthem and said it to the missus they had it already lost.
    Smiling and joking during the anthem and all friends with the opposition with handshake and winks.
    No killer instinct in them today.they lacked the bite.theyd want to use more timber and give them the butt of the stick in the ribs off the ball and use every chance to get in their face.they did well in getting that far but that was it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Strazdas wrote: »

Sure half of the 'irish' team are British citizens and proud of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

awec wrote: »
    What exactly is the rules about goalkeepers coming for the ball?

I played for our school team but I'm going to be honest and say I never completely wrapped my head around the rules. Given I was completely wiped out by keepers more than once it seems theses padded fcukers are exempt from all the rules around contact? :pac:

Basically keepers used to free rain, recently they have tried to stop keepers sliding out and taking players out unless they play the ball 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

They're having a wee party in London, everyone is invited :D

https://twitter.com/IreWomenHockey/status/1026187491630620672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Marje wrote:
    They're having a wee party in London, everyone is invited

Damn, wish I was in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

zetalambda wrote: »
    Probably the only time Ireland will ever get to the final of a world cup :)

I should think that the Irish men's rugby team have a damn good chance next year, but there's an element of luck as to who takes who out on the way to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Putinbot wrote: »
    Mod- For fück sake ye bunch of fücking muppets. Just enjoy Ireland doing well. No need for the digs at the ladies or to turn this in to a political debate.

Yes, agreed, now you have the power, why don`t you issue a few cards like you were asked earlier.

This should be a celebration of all things good today, the girls who represented us today are all amateur athletes competing against professionals but you and the rest of the mods on here have allowed certain posters to turn this into a political / religous thread.

Now please, take some action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Fair play to them they've done the country proud. I do however despise the usual social media crowd pretending they give a **** all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Keepaneye wrote: »
    Fair play to them they've done the country proud. I do however despise the usual social media crowd pretending they give a **** all of a sudden.

Yeah, really annoyed at people jumping on the bandwagon the last two days as well, when I've been following them since Thursday lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Marje wrote: »
    They're having a wee party in London, everyone is invited :D

free drink??

shane ross paying for a few rounds??? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

In fairness every day is a good day to be alive.sure beats being dead I'd say

Fair-City-Eps-186-Carol-leaves-Robbie-to-mind-Jack.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Marje wrote:
    They're having a wee party in London, everyone is invited

Is that the homecoming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

liam7831 wrote: »
    Is that the homecoming ?

London is where the Mexicans love to emigrate to, that's an absolute fact. I know so many from working with clients there who love to talk about how ****e Ireland is and how great London is after they moved. My sister went to uni in London and hated it.

I know working class and middle class Unionists by the thousands here. I know plenty of southerners too. It's not even close who has the bigger obsession with England, specifically London.

fryup wrote: »
    free drink??

The girls probably have to pay for their own drinks going on what you read about their funding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

London is where the Mexicans love to emigrate to, that's an absolute fact. I know so many from working with clients there who love to talk about how ****e Ireland is and how great London is after they moved. My sister went to uni in London and hated it.

I know working class and middle class Unionists by the thousands here. I know plenty of southerners too. It's not even close who has the bigger obsession with England, specifically London.

South of what? Do you mean like around Newry or Cork? Or south of England?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Patww79 wrote: »
    South of what? Do you mean like around Newry or Cork? Or south of England?

Around the border you would believe in being from the pale, and the cached deleted post history you can easily view. South of those six counties mate (but include Donegal as you probably want a pedantic argument).

Mexican banter starter pack:
    1. Constantly call a nordie british thinking you're jack the lad until you get a smack or they disagree and you then call them anti-craic and bitter
    2. When a Nordie says southern, play stupid about where the South is

Rinse and repeat.

Around the border you would believe in being from the pale, and the cached deleted post history you can easily view. South of those six counties mate.

1. Constantly call a nordie british thinking you're jack the lad until you get a smack or they disagree and you then call them anti-craic and bitter

Rinse and repeat.

Ah, so Ireland then. Would have been quicker if you'd just said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Around the border you would believe in being from the pale, and the cached deleted post history you can easily view. South of those six counties mate (but include Donegal as you probably want a pedantic argument).

Rinse and repeat.

Ah thats not nice.

He mightn't be playing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

London is where the Mexicans love to emigrate to, that's an absolute fact.
    I live in the USA and, as an absolute fact, Mexicans prefer to emigrate here than any where else

I think you're mixing up Mexicans with Guatemalans, who are very fond of Kensington and Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Rinse and repeat.

I'm happy there's no border for the hockey team, it's nice that we all play together - don't you agree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm happy there's no border for the hockey team, it's nice that we all play together - don't you agree :)

Is it the same demographic as the Rugby teams upper middle class people from Dublin with a few from Ulster thrown in?

It should raise the profile of it anyway which is all good.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

fryup wrote: »
    free drink??

He certainly has the same accent as most of them.

Well done to the ladies though. Their funding was a disgrace by the sounds of it. Great for the tight knit hockey community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Is it the same demographic as the Rugby teams upper middle class people from Dublin with a few from Ulster thrown in?

It should raise the profile of it anyway which is all good.

That's probably to do with the GAA not allowing foreign sports, rather than hockey itself being exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I had two friends who started posting hockey ****. Com on lads its ****e hurling.

GingerLily wrote: »
    That's probably to do with the GAA not allowing foreign sports, rather than hockey itself being exclusive.

:D That's the biggest bandwagon of the past couple of weeks, even moreso than the hockey.

Strazdas wrote: »

Mainly due to the small matter of facing the Dutch in the quarter finals.

Excellent achievement though. Really pleased for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I live in the USA and, as an absolute fact, Mexicans prefer to emigrate here than any where else

I think you're mixing up Mexicans with Guatemalans, who are very fond of Kensington and Chelsea.

As the song goes...." South of the border,down Mexico way...." it's one of the jokes that has arisen from partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Aegir wrote: »
    Mainly due to the small matter of facing the Dutch in the quarter finals.

England blew their chance when they didn't defeat the US, then subsequently didn't draw with Ireland. They'd have ended up on the Irish side of the draw and theoretically not met the Dutch so soon. No one was beating them anyway imo. It was just a matter of when the Dutch beat you, not if.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Patww79 wrote: »
    :D That's the biggest bandwagon of the past couple of weeks, even moreso than the hockey.

Not as many double barrell names or d4 accents in Thurles today though 😉

Advertisement