Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Alarm Fit

Options
  • 02-08-2018 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I need a cert from an electrician to avail of a grant to refurb a thatched roof. The sparkie has to install a wired smoke alarm. Was quoted €280. Is this a fair price, or is rip-off Ireland at play ? It wouldn’t take half an hour to fit, and the alarm costs about €20 so can’t see where he is getting his price from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Half an hour to run cable from the smoke alarm back to the fuseboard? And I presume he lives next door so doesn't have to factor in travel time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 intersky69

It’s beside the fuse board. Travel time ? That’s a new one, can’t remember ever seeing that on an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

intersky69 wrote:
    It’s beside the fuse board. Travel time ? That’s a new one, can’t remember ever seeing that on an invoice.

It's built into the price as is, diesel, insurance, van insurance, van maintenance, tools, training, RECI membership, the cost of the cert itself, accountancy, tolls, time getting to & from the wholesalers and queueing at the wholesalers etc. I'm only listing about half of the stuff built into the price

• Registered Users Posts: 10 intersky69

So back to my question, is it a fair price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

intersky69 wrote:

I'm not an electrician so can't answer that.

Different tradesmen in different parts of the country have different rates. Why not ring two more RECI guys for a price. It sounds like something they might price for over the phone. That way you'll have an average price for your area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

intersky69 wrote: »

It seems a bit steep to me. Have you got any other quotes?
    Electricians are in demand again so a lot of them can charge what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Get 3 quotes , preferably from recommendations

Advertisement