Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting Cat6 cable

Options
  • 02-08-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Trying to solve a difference of opinion between myself and my boss,

In a room where i work there is a ethernet wall jack which is fed from a patch panel from the comms room, from this the boss has piggy backed into the back of the jack to feed another wall jack in the room,

Will this work?

I was always under the impression you cannot split ethernet cable so therefore you would not be able to get an ip address from both jacks at the same time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

wiz569 wrote: »

In a room where i work there is a ethernet wall jack which is fed from a patch panel from the comms room, from this the boss has piggy backed into the back of the jack to feed another wall jack in the room,

Will this work?

I was always under the impression you cannot split ethernet cable so therefore you would not be able to get an ip address from both jacks at the same time.

Daisy chain nope, it will not work. There is a way you can split the pairs but it's a stupid thing to do so I won't go into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Daisy chain nope, it will not work. There is a way you can split the pairs but it's a stupid thing to do so I won't go into it

Thank you I thought I was going mad,

Presumably you could still use both jacks but just not at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes you could ..... but would it not be much better to put a small ethernet switch fed from the comms room and use two outputs from that?

Or at worst something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-2-Port-AB-Manual-Network-Ethernet-Switch-Splitter-Sharing-Box-2In11In2-RJ45/401574916441?hash=item5d7fbaf159:g:9t8AAOSwVm5Y9e1n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No it's just wrong. There's supposed to be even lengths of twisted pairs from the patch panel to the socket to get the best speeds. Anything else is just wrong. He's thinking of an analog phone setup, this can be daisy chained from socket to socket.

Plugging in a cat5/6 with an rj45 ethernet plug and an ethernet socket at the other end to extend is another story. Eir do this, it's called a data port extension. This is extending a port from one position to another, not splitting it.

Yes you could ..... but would it not be much better to put a small ethernet switch fed from the comms room and use two outputs from that?

Yes it would be the correct way to do it, but my Boss is not listening to me and I was starting to doubt myself :(
    No it's just wrong. There's supposed to be even lengths of twisted pairs from the patch panel to the socket to get the best speeds. Anything else is just wrong. He's thinking of an analog phone setup, this can be daisy chained from socket to socket.

Plugging in a cat5/6 with an rj45 ethernet plug and an ethernet socket at the other end to extend is another story. Eir do this, it's called a data port extension. This is extending a port from one position to another, not splitting it.

Agreed but it would still work provided both are not used together yes?

Cheers guys

• Advertisement

Yes it would be the correct way to do it, but my Boss is not listening to me and I was starting to doubt myself :(

Agreed but it would still work provided both are not used together yes?

Cheers guys

Yes, but not optimally.

I agree it is just a plain wrong thing to do and is asking for problems.

For the sake of a few quid it is ridiculous. ;)

Yes, but not optimally.

I agree it is just a plain wrong thing to do and is asking for problems.

For the sake of a few quid it is ridiculous. ;)

Now how to convince him lol

Now how to convince him lol

No doubt there are tech documents on line that could be stuffed under his nose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Will this work?

This is what you need. You will need 1 at both ends.
    They are called cat 5e economisers
    https://www.dcdi.co.uk/product/356/adaptors/203/rj45-economiser-cat5e-splitter/810/rj45-economiser-cat5e-splitter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mockba wrote: »
    This is what you need. You will need 1 at both ends.
    They are called cat 5e economisers
    https://www.dcdi.co.uk/product/356/adaptors/203/rj45-economiser-cat5e-splitter/810/rj45-economiser-cat5e-splitter

You get two low speed lines out of a cable doing that. The interfaces will end up at 100mb full but would likely do far less due to interference.

Edit: Also has to be done at both ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If he already had enough knowledge to daisy chain them, why didn't he just run a new length back to the patch panel? People... :rolleyes:

seamus wrote: »
    If he already had enough knowledge to daisy chain them, why didn't he just run a new length back to the patch panel? People... :rolleyes:

Because he is convinced it works as he says :o

Because he is convinced it works as he says :o

Because it does, you can get two 100mb lines out of the 4 pairs of a normal cable. It just makes more sense to buy a 15 quid unmanaged gig switch and put that at the port.

Because it does, you can get two 100mb lines out of the 4 pairs of a normal cable. It just makes more sense to buy a 15 quid unmanaged gig switch and put that at the port.

So if he daisy chains them as I posted in the OP it will work with two devices online at the same time?

if he just connected each wire to existing and didn't split the pairs(eg two pairs to current jack and 2 pairs to new cable at the wall jack and the same back in the patch panel/termination point) then it won't work. But you can just point that out by connecting up 2 machines.

if he just connected each wire to existing and didn't split the pairs(eg two pairs to current jack and 2 pairs to new cable at the wall jack and the same back in the patch panel/termination point) then it won't work. But you can just point that out by connecting up 2 machines.

No he had all 4 pairs going to both but he will get caught out on it and then he might listen to me ;)

Advertisement