Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help , up against a brick wall

• 02-08-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Ok, so i lost my driving licence.
    Went and got the form stamped by the Gardai and went to get a new one.They required proof of ID , either a current passport { or no more than a year out of date } or a public services card , neither of which i have as my current passport is well out of date.

So i went to get a public services card , they require a birth cert which i never had as i was born at home and my mother and the midwife got their wires crossed as to who was registering me. A long time ago myself my wife and mother went to get me a birth cert but as my mother was English she had to provide paperwork from the UK . When contacted it turns out the building holding the records was destroyed in a fire. So i nevr got a birth cert and managed without it.

So i decided i'll get a passport , but they also require a birth cert , i got a passport many years ago when they weren't as strict and was told at the time not to lose it as it would be difficult to get another one.

So , to get a replacement driving licence i need a birth cert to get a passport or public services card.But there is no record of me and both parents have long since passed away.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

UK birth certs etc have a central storage as well as local - so that bit is a bit off
    Plus how have you even managed to live in Ireland without a birth cert - it's needed for lots of things
    Got a baptismal cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

If you have a passport even an old one you won't need a birth certificate.... You need to enclose it with your application that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How did you get your first driver licence without birth cert?how did you get your passport without birth cert?
    How did you get married without birth cert?
    How did you get a PPS number without a birth cert?

Sounds very odd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Flat out

Well i'm an ould fella and things wern't as strict back then , plus no computers as such . i got my new licence when i handed my old paper one in , but lost it and am now stuck.

Never need full birth cert , i always got by with Baptismal cert .

Unfortunately I do need a birth cert for a new passport , as if it's out a few years , 5 I think , it counts as a first passport ..

I'm just trying to replace my driving licence , i don't actually need , or want a new passport. Last time i needed one to travel was 34 years ago. My current one is over 10 years out of date.

Social services card , i have no use for it either.
    The problem is that I need one of the above to replace my licence , and to get one i need a full birth cert .
    So far I've hit a brick wall , and no one seems to be able to do anything as it's outside their guidelines and procedures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

Maybe you can ask one of those agencies, the NDLS, the Passport Office or the Public Service Card office, if they will accept an official Affidavit witnessed by a Notary Public or a Solicitor, stating the facts to explain the reasons why you have no birth certificate.

• Advertisement

It's an avenue i hadn't thought of . So far I've dealt with people who cannot manoeuvre outside of their guidelines and protocol .

So far all I'm getting is '' those are the rules'' and a shrug of the shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Flat out wrote: »
    It's an avenue i hadn't thought of . So far I've dealt with people who cannot manoeuvre outside of their guidelines and protocol .

So far all I'm getting is '' those are the rules'' and a shrug of the shoulders.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/GRO_Contact_Us.aspx

These should be able to provide some info on what to do, as they hold all the data and I doubt you will be the first person in this situation as pre computerisation these things were probably a regular thing

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, hopefully they'll shed some light , as you say . I'm hardly the first to encounter this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you old enough to get a pension? If you ever want one, you'll need both a birth cert and a public services card.

In general, for every rule there is another rule for what to do if someone cannot meet it. But you may need to get people to ask their supervisor about it, because the front line staff usually don't know the extra rules.

I requested a supervisor in both the driving licence office and the social services office .
    The licence office one was totally '' these are the rules'' . Come back when you sort your paperwork, bye.

Social services was a very pleasant and understanding lady , who apologized, but could not help me as the rules had to be adhered to , and if bypassed , would only end up being flagged further along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed for mods' review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement