Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent a bike (just eat)

• 02-08-2018 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ive noticed in Dublin City centre theres just eat bicycles that can be rented. The website is very vague, something about paying €5 for 3 days. How exactly does it work, still very confused and why does it say that u get the first half an hour free and then after that it keeps adding 50cent every half hour??

How do you get and return the bike as well

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

www.dublinbikes.ie has all the info you need, you can either go annual sub or pay by use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm not sure what website you're talking about, but the Dublin bikes site explains everything in detail.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/index.php/How-does-it-work

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Laoisemurray

Pelvis wrote: »
    I'm not sure what website you're talking about, but the Dublin bikes site explains everything in detail.

"You can enjoy the many benefits of an Annual Card for just €25. A 3 Day Ticket costs €5. The first 30 minutes of use is free on every bike.
    After this first half-hour, a service charge applies. See here for pricing structure"

Is this saying after paying €5 for 3 days I also have to pay the pricing structure after my first half hour?

And when clicking into the pricing structure it says I need to pay a €150 deposit. How the heck do I do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Ive noticed in Dublin City centre theres just eat bicycles that can be rented. The website is very vague, something about paying €5 for 3 days. How exactly does it work, still very confused and why does it say that u get the first half an hour free and then after that it keeps adding 50cent every half hour??

It depends on if you're going to use them a lot. The 5e for 3 days is largely for tourists/visitors to Dublin.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/index.php/Subscription/Annual-Card2/Annual-Card-Holder

The 25 euro is if you want a subscription for a year. If you pay 25e you'll have access for one year, which means you can take a bike for free as long as you return it to another dublin bike stand within half an hour, after half an hour they charge you 50 cent per hour. Because there are bike stands all over the city centre most journeys will take less than half an hour. So you take the bike from one stand, cycle it where you need to get to, and then drop it back at another stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Is this saying after paying €5 for 3 days I also have to pay the pricing structure after my first half hour?

And when clicking into the pricing structure it says I need to pay a €150 deposit. How the heck do I do that

Yeah, if you get the 3 days you still only get 30 mins for free and pay extra after that. The 150 "deposit" is done when you register your credit/debit card, it authorises dublin bikes to deduct 150euro if you don't return the bike. If you do return the bike it'll never be deducted so it's not really a deposit as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I don't think I've ever paid any additional fees over the membership - all my journeys are less than 30 minutes as would most people's journeys.

The "deposit" is really a hold on your credit card, like sometimes when you check into a hotel they scan your credit card in case you take stuff from the mini-bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The deposit is a hold on your credit card, be warned if you use a debit card for this your balance will be €150 lower for a week after the transaction, then €150 magically reappears on your balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The "deposit" is really a hold on your credit card, like sometimes when you check into a hotel they scan your credit card in case you take stuff from the mini-bar.

It is not even that. You set up a kind of direct debit with them on your credit card. This allows them to take any charges if you go over your free 30 minutes, the yearly subscription charge and the 150 in case the bike is never returned. There is no hold of 150 EUR on your card for a whole year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Is this saying after paying €5 for 3 days I also have to pay the pricing structure after my first half hour? ....
    Just to clarify - you don't rent a bike for 3 days. You can avail of multiple journeys during the 3 days on any Dublin bike from multiple stands and incur no further charges if you return the bike within 30 minutes of the start of each journey.

(The scheme is not intended for all day rental but to have bikes available for as many people as possible to make short journeys. If you need to hire a bike for 3 full days, try some of the bike shops who do a rental service).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

To get a bike if you are just setting up your account you'll need to go to one of the stands that has a credit card terminal. There's a map which shows which ones, ie you can't just rock up to any old DB stand and take one out for the first time. It's not always perfect, we were trying to get two bikes in May, went to Quays near Point where map saidd there was a c c terminal, there was but no facility to sign up on it, phoned the helpline to no avail, young German man trying also. We met him at the next two stands as well! None of us succeeded that day, hopefully just a glitch.

You return bike to any stand that has a free slot and wehn it clicks in your rental time stops. But as Wishbone Ash says if you want a bike to sightsee for a few days best to hire one as DB wouldn't be economical

• Advertisement
Advertisement