Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi Fuel Stove Brands

• 03-08-2018 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Completely new to all this.Got old stone house chimney fitted with flue for Stove.Have 7/8 rads, so need 12-13kw with back boiler.Just trying to decide on which brand to go for, local supplier has Olymberyl, Alpha, and Henley. Looking for all your thoughts on these brands, if you have them or is there other brands I should be looking at? I see they have 15kw Alpha iii,which i read some good reviews about on here, maybe thats too much heat?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Waterford Stanley
    Boru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Have the Rads been sized right for each room.
    You need to also take account of the room size the stove is going into. if the room is small and the heat to room too large, you wont be able to stay in the room with the heat. Is there a Rad in the same room.
    What about hot Water allowance.?
    You should allow 10 to 20 % extra to give you more control over the stove.
    So if you're sure of the sizes I wouldn't worry about using the 15kw stove if that's the one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Howzit17

Thank you for that.not 100% sure on size, just going off what is suggested online, and will prob s rads that was already in place n the house when got it.Will get Plummer to double check all that.wasnt planning on a rad for same room,the room is about 30ft x 20 but room will be open to the stairs and hallway.Hallway down stairs and up will have rads. Walls Will be lime plastered with cork, if that makes a difference.trying to get an idea of correct size to use for room without being too hot yet enough heat since will be open to stairs.etc but mostly want to know which brands of stove to look for and what to stay away from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Get your Plumber or a Heating Engineer to do a heat loss Calculation for you.
    You can also find Calculators online but there are variables like no and size of windows in a room. Level of insulation in Walls, Ceilings etc. size of rooms. You need to allow for heating a Cylinder for Hot Water. and add 10 to 20 % extra, so as you don't have to have the stove burning at full tilt all the time. The Plumber should be able to work all that out.
    As to the Stove brands. you pretty much get what you pay for. From the few you mentioned. I'd say the Olymberl is the best. Another top Brand is Stratford and Stanley.
    There's also a few Irish made stoves like Boru etc which might be handy for spares.

As for your Room, that's a very big room, And if you have Stairs off it I'd suggest you put at least two Rads into the room to Balance out the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Howzit17

Sorry ,haven’t been near the house since reno started,so guessed wrong size of that room.It’s only 18x14ft.We have now decided to keep the 1000sqft house very open planned, with only 1 block wall dividing the house down the middle(1 room downstairs/1 room upstairs on each side of house),Only floorboards between ground floor and first and sheeps wool insulation in roof and possibly under floorboards in ground floor.It now looks like I should just consider a multi fuel stove with no boiler and just let the heat from stove rise and circulate around the open plan, and use oil rads when necessary ?
    From what i’m reading about stove, it seems they are better with no boiler?

• Advertisement
Advertisement