Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite city in Ireland and why?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

zetalambda wrote: »
    You're not missing much...short flight to the UK or mainland Europe is always a better choice! Same for Derry...an absolute bore fest. :)

Currently on a bus back to Dublin after a weekend in Belfast. Sure European cities are prettier but to say you're not missing anything says alot more about you then it does Belfast.

Fascinating city with murals everywhere with evidence of their past

Titanic quarter..no explanation needed

Amazing architecture like city hall and more

Great museum in Ulster museum situated beside botanical gardens

Crumlin road gaol was amazing

Do a tour bus to learn about the troubles from both sides. Trully fascinating history.

You sound like someone I'd hate to travel/tour with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I'm from Dublin but I seriously love Cork, it's such a cool place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Belfast for me, love the culture and history. Go every Christmas new year period now as great sales, love around the titanic quarter and really enjoyed the black cab trip to the trouble areas last year, found it fascinating.

It same distance from me to Dublin and hotel prices much cheaper and I just find it a very warm and vibrant place compared to Dublin. Also like Cork the few times I have been there and found locals really sound!

Galway very overrated for me, lived there for 3 years in college and had a good time but I still see it as a student town more than a city to visit with culture, history etc.. I do like salthill in the rare bit of good weather though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

MarkY91 wrote: »
    You sound like someone I'd hate to travel/tour with.

Unless your a naughty little Asian or Latina chick with a tight body and up for anything in the sack, we're unlikely to travel anywhere together, Mark. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Cork's my favourite city to visit. It's compact and the people are very friendly. I like that the main shopping area isn't spread out.

I like Galway but the traffic is very off-putting. I haven't been to Limerick city centre since the bypass was opened but plan on going there for a break in the next few months.

I don't like Dublin and only go there if I've got something specific to go there for which isn't often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

There's only 2 types of people that think Dublin is a big city:

A. Dublin people

B. Farmers from rural Ireland up to the big schmoke for some shopping with their hang sangwidges and a flask of tae.

Literally the rest of the world sees it for what it is...a big town. Nothing more nothing less. Take it or leave it but don't fool yourself into thinking its anything else. ;)

Probably a bognan who was forced to emigrate to some kip like Birmingham... now thinks he's Mr Urbane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

southstar wrote: »
    Probably a bognan who was forced to emigrate to some kip like Birmingham... now thinks he's Mr Urbane

He was owned on the thread already, scarle' for him. Seems to have slunk off with his tail between his legs.

It would be no secret Dublin is my favorite city. I just love the culture and all the subcultures. Everything, from the beaches, museums, galleries, restaurants, bars, cheapest food in the country to some of the best. I live in a good neighbourhood with excellent public transport and a new cycle lane. I find Dublin to be a friendly, modern, grown up European capital. I find the service in shops, cafés, pubs and restaurants better than a lot of other European cities.

Belfast has a Chiquitos.

Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I really like all the cities in Ireland. From Cork so wont mention it but they all have something going for them. Dublin seeps history and has a great gig scene, Waterford's quay area is beautiful and has so much potential, Limerick with king Johns castle on the river front is special, Galways alley's etc. It being a very very long drive Ive only been to Derry and Belfast twice each but am a fan of both especially Derry. The walls around the centre and the pub scene is great think its got a similarvibe to Galway but without the overt touristy thing going on.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He was owned on the thread already, scarle' for him. Seems to have slunk off with his tail between his legs.

It would be no secret Dublin is my favorite city. I just love the culture and all the subcultures. Everything, from the beaches, museums, galleries, restaurants, bars, cheapest food in the country to some of the best. I live in a good neighbourhood with excellent public transport and a new cycle lane. I find Dublin to be a friendly, modern, grown up European capital. I find the service in shops, cafés, pubs and restaurants better than a lot of other European cities.

I still here sweetheart ;)

What's this nonsense about Dublin being better than most European cities?

If that's what you genuinely think then Galway must be the furthest you've been. :D

When I say in a joking way that Dublin is just a big town and the responce is people getting really defensive and trying to prove its a city with arguments and online references, it just proves my point. If people thought I was talking crap, they would just laugh at it or take no notice!

Don't be offended if I say Dublin city center is stress-free and quiet. It is! That's part of its charm. Great little city for a relaxing and fun weekend break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Armagh city has a Catholic and Prod cathedral.

There's also an observatory.

You’ll last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Mine has to be Derry.

Thought there was a fair bit of rioting in Derry recently. Doesn't sound that peaceful!

PowerCity is my favourite city. Best meat balls in Ireland!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Armagh is not a city in functional, modern terms but it is very pretty, friendly, and the observatory and planetarium is a must see. It's essentially the Kilkenny of Northern Ireland.

People love to diss Dublin and its got its share of problems - most notably the state of O'Connell St (a disgrace IMO), obscenely overpriced housing and a severe shortage of same, and rather poor public transport. But it IS a capital city with the feel of one at every level. It has pretty much everything you would want or need and has a great setting by the sea and the Wicklow Mountains just to the South.

Cork is great - compact, great eateries, English Market, good setting and friendly but the anti-Dublin thing is a bit pathetic.

Waterford has huge untapped potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

What ever about Limericks bad reputation, Waterford is the actually biggest scum hole in Ireland, its basically the Detroit of Ireland and the locals are nothing but a bunch of floury bap eating scumbags.

I don’t understand the downer everyone seems to have on Waterford, even some Waterford people have this terrible self loathing and I don’t understand why.

The Spraoi festival was on over the weekend and was absolutely brilliant, street art performers and international music acts galore. Thousands of people turned out for it and the buzz was fantastic, every pub packed and live music flowing like the pints. Waterford is the Galway of the southeast. Didn’t see any trouble either.

Waterford was hit bad by the recession but the difference between then and now is like night and day. I’ve been a few places in my travels and I can tell you Waterford is 5 star compared to most.

Also it’s a blaa not a bap, there’s a distinct difference 😉

As for other cities in Ireland Kilkenny is lovely as is Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I still here sweetheart ;)

If that's what you genuinely think then Galway must be the furthest you've been. :D

When I say in a joking way that Dublin is just a big town and the responce is people getting really defensive and trying to prove its a city with arguments and online references, it just proves my point. If people thought I was talking crap, they would just laugh at it or take no notice!

Don't be offended if I say Dublin city center is stress-free and quiet. It is! That's part of its charm. Great little city for a relaxing and fun weekend break.

You’re from a village in Cork.

Look I’ve lived in London. Dublin centre is compact for sure but it’s not quiet. I could barely walk down Dame st. last week with the crowds walking against me.

And of course it’s a city.

Parachutes wrote: »
    I don’t understand the downer everyone seems to have on Waterford, even some Waterford people have this terrible self loathing and I don’t understand why.

The Spraoi festival was on over the weekend and was absolutely brilliant, street art performers and international music acts galore. Thousands of people turned out for it and the buzz was fantastic, every pub packed and live music flowing like the pints. Waterford is the Galway of the southeast. Didn’t see any trouble either.

Waterford was hit bad by the recession but the difference between then and now is like night and day. I’ve been a few places in my travels and I can tell you Waterford is 5 star compared to most.

Also it’s a blaa not a bap, there’s a distinct difference 😉

I too think the locals in Waterford under estimate the place. I have cousins down there and they complain a fair bit. Of course it’s different to be a visitor but it’s a fine looking city to me. Love the quays.

It’s also cheap. Maybe with the expense of Dublin things will start to happen down there.

You’re from a village in Cork.

Look I’ve lived in London. Dublin centre is compact for sure but it’s not quiet. I could barely walk down Dame st. last week with the crowds walking against me.

And of course it’s a city.

Yes, I'm just kidding calling Dublin a town. But with the exception of a few streets like Grafton, Henry street and a few others it's fairly quiet. I've never been in London so can't really compare and I'm not from Cork either!

Yes, I'm just kidding calling Dublin a town. But with the exception of a few streets like Grafton, Henry street and a few others it's fairly quiet. I've never been in London so can't really compare and I'm not from Cork either!

So except from the central shopping and business district it’s quiet.

So except from the central shopping and business district it’s quiet.

Maybe it's because of the bank holiday it was quiet this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nobody said this.

Just like nobody said Dublin is a big city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What defination of city are you using to say Dublin is not really a city? Or is it just personal opinion with no basis other than what you think?
    It’s trolling ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Galway for me. Great pubs, great food and always a bit of craic. Heading away for a weekend and it'd be top of my list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Parachutes wrote: »

Also it’s a blaa not a bap, there’s a distinct difference ��

I love Waterford (ok i am biased being a native) and I honestly don't get the 'rundown' reputation it has.

I think it's a lovely looking city, beautiful hanging baskets and streetlamps all down the Quay with all the multi coloured buildings, the Viking Triangle, the Mall, The Millenium Plaza, the Greenway etc.

There's always local musicians playing in the main square in the city centre of a weekend, food stalls, great restaurants and bars. The Spraoi this weekend was amazing as always.
    Maybe the people running it down haven't been in a while, I dunno.

My oh is from Windsor in the UK and he moved here 12 years ago now. Says he'd never go back and thinks Waterford is the Dog's Bollocks. Thinks Kilkenny and Cork are pretty nice too.

In short, don't listen to the naysayers, listen to Parachutes and Franz; Waterford is lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well if we're including Kilkenny as a city, my vote goes to Westport (higher population and everything). Beautiful surroundings with good pubs and restaurants

As for actual cities, Galway is brilliant. Lived there for years and had so much craic, there's always a bit of life about the place

Ah Westport. I heard some radio ad recently advertising the town and all it has to offer and what turned me against the place was they referred to Westport as "the Riviera of the Wild Atlantic Way".

Serious notions up in that town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Ah Westport. I heard some radio ad recently advertising the town and all it has to offer and what turned me against the place was they referred to Westport as "the Riviera of the Wild Atlantic Way".

Serious notions up in that town.

Over in Sligo town at the weekend I noticed signs telling you the direction of the city centre. Nice town but come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Over in Sligo town at the weekend I noticed signs telling you the direction of the city centre. Nice town but come on.

I knew a guy from Co. Galway who told me that Tuam was a city because it had a cathedral.
    :rolleyes:

Was there last month for the first time and noticed the same. I get people taking pride in where they're from but it's not even a big town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Love Belfast honestly. So much to do, the city centre is bright and vibrant, very welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Idbatterim wrote:
    It’s trolling ...

Fully agree. Nice to see very few taking the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

circadian wrote: »
    Catch yourself on. You know fine well that it's a minority in a small area causing trouble. Wise up would ye.

When was the last time you were in Derry?

I went up for the clipper festival, first time in Derry for almost 2 years and I have to say the city has come a long way. Lots of business opening, bars restaurants and Ebrington looks well too. 2 years ago the city centre was pound shops and boarded up, a very quick turnaround and it was lovely to see. I really enjoyed being there as opposed to usually dreading it.

Oh no, Derry is just awful. I don’t know what it was like 2 years ago, as youmention, but I visited a few weeks ago. It was depressing.
    Generally very nice people and the walled town is historically fascinating. But the general felling is still of poverty and underdevelopment. The bars felt a bit intimidating and my hotel, while surprisingly expensive, was tatty and tacky.

Advertisement