Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I actually noticed Manon’s peachy arse during the final group hug the other night and I’m a heterosexual woman! :o

So am I, but I'm definitely going to have go and have a look now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I liked they had vegan week its a change I suppose. Competition is getting tougher!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just watched the extra slice,
    I found Tom hilarious at first but now he's just annoying me. Same jokes every week, just aimed at different people.

Kinda gutted that Jon is gone. Seemed like a really nice guy and a damn good baker.
    If I was to pick anyone from the show to have a cuppa and a slice of cake with, it'd be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I prefer Tom's seemingly off the cuff stuff to the scripted stuff. It's his schtik. I do find it funny.

Extra slice tends to be hilarious. They edit a good few great clips out of GBBO. I nearly fell if my chair laughing at the fist bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

.red. wrote: »
    Just watched the extra slice,
    I found Tom hilarious at first but now he's just annoying me. Same jokes every week, just aimed at different people.

Kinda gutted that Jon is gone. Seemed like a really nice guy and a damn good baker.
    If I was to pick anyone from the show to have a cuppa and a slice of cake with, it'd be him.

Same here.

And gutted for him that he went on vegan week which was just too far outside his comfort zone. Hate that he was being called closed-minded in some quarters too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

What's happened to Rahul:o in danger of crumbling..last in two challenges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

This is going so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No way should that have been Manon . Rahul was much worse this week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Wrong person went this week.

God that was stressful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Ridiculous decision

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Based on baking this week Raul should have gone. Very unfair. He got a second chance when no one else does. They made out the sweets and jellies were lovely. His pastries were burnt. He wasn't motivated from the beginning. Love Ruby. Just gets on with it.

Just finished watching and I'm disgusted with that result. I don't even particularly like Manon but she shouldn't have gone. Totally unfair.

Rahul has been the most consistent baker throughout. Very impressive and I fully expected him to be in the final but the beautiful thing about bake off is everyone gets a clean slate each week and this week Rahul was the worst. So he should have went.

Looks like they want to see a male winner and so gave him a second chance but like someone already said .. nobody else gets second chance!

Yep I'm proper raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I really thought this show was above manipulation, it certainly used to be. They could have easily said it was cumulative but that decision is awful.
    Rahul burned his showstopper to ashes but "the marzipan is lovely" the fcuking marzipan like!

He must have something in store they're keeping him around for.

Worst decision ever in my time watching Bake Off. And I’ve watched every series except the first.

Rahul:

1) underbaked his rye bread so that it turned back to dough. AND the decorations were messy

2) He burned the pancake balls

3) He BADLY burnt the pastry in the last round

They broke the rules to keep him in it. Total bullshít.

BUT delighted for Ruby. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Twitter going mad over the decision to keep Rahul and let Manon go
    Paul had his knife in Manon from the beginning tonight .
    I really hope Rahul doesn't win now

larko wrote: »
    Based on baking this week Raul should have gone. Very unfair. He got a second chance when no one else does. They made out the sweets and jellies were lovely. His pastries were burnt. He wasn't motivated from the beginning. Love Ruby. Just gets on with it.

Dan must be feeling hard done by. They showed him no mercy on pastry week!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm only at the opening credits and they're all crying :eek:

5 mins later..... mother of God, someone make Rahul stop talking :eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't believe that result. Livid. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm pretty confident at that point that Ruby is going to win the thing, I'm quite indifferent towards her though. Her baking is either very good or a total mess-up. The thing is though she's a very presentable and confident person, she has Paul on her side, she could certainly make a bit of a career out of it.

I think Kim-Joy will go home next week since she's really crumbling away under that huge amount of pressure. Which is a pity because she's a lovely person.

And tonight's decision, it's tough. In fairness, Manon didn't give a sh1t about anything, she made a French bread, she made bloody croissants and pain au Chocolat and even said so at the beginning of the show stopper that she doesn't want to do Danish since she doesn't like it "so I make croissants".
    Rahul tried while she just was pretty darn arrogant about it, almost like Danish is beneath her.
    Yes Rahul messed up, this was the first time in the show where he seriously messed up because his level was consistently high. I would have sent them both home honestly because they were equally bad. He burnt the bejaysus out of everything and she simply didn't care about the motto of the week and did bad bakes.

They both deserved to go home honestly for different reasons.

• Advertisement

My sister made the admittedly good point that Manon strayed from the brief in two rounds - she went French in both the signature and the showstopper.

But... authenticity wasn’t really an issue a few weeks back when the contestants were calling triangular pastries with any kind of filling samosas. In fact, many bakes are quite inauthentic on the show.

LirW wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident at that point that Ruby is going to win the thing, I'm quite indifferent towards her though. Her baking is either very good or a total mess-up. she has Paul on her side,

And that's EXACTLY why she'll be in the final. The same reason as Kate last year. Not because she's a good baker, but because Paul fancies her :rolleyes:

Jeepers, Paul is being so MEAN to them today!

Like, telling Manon she used the wrong butter, after she'd used it.

And there were a few other examples earlier as well. Freaking them out (even more).

KimJoy should enter for Great British Artist next - she's an unreal artist!

I'm liking Ruby more and more as time goes on.

Having watched the show and read all the comments here, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about tonight's result.

Jon got kicked off because he didn't fulfil the brief on vegan week.

Manon got kicked off because she didn't fulfil the brief on Danish week (baking mostly French stuff).

But Rahul made an arse out of all of the tasks, underproving/baking the rye bread and burning his showstopper.

Hard one for the judges, I'm glad I wasn't in their shoes!

And that's EXACTLY why she'll be in the final. The same reason as Kate last year. Not because she's a good baker, but because Paul fancies her :rolleyes:

Was Kate that fanciable? :o

I think that's a bit unfair to Ruby's baking talents, I have no argument with her progress through the show so far.

I can't remember a show where I thought she should have gone over whoever actually did go.

And despite Manon actually having heard of and seen the technical bake this week, didn't Ruby beat her in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I did not know there was a GBBO thread for this years show until now.... shameful on my part :o

I've been watching since the start, and really enjoying the new challenges they're introduced this season. Some of the technical challenges this year have been particularly tricky.

With regards to tonights episode, I agree with majority of the previous sentiments. Danish week was a disaster for all the contestants in different ways - did anyone actually practice their bakes beforehand (specifically the rye bread)? I was backing Rahul over these past few weeks as he was humble and his work was essentially flawless and innovative, but tonight it went terribly for him from the get-go. I don't think Mannon should have went, but agree with one of the earlier comments that she kinda did her own way of baking tonight, rather than sticking with the brief.

Also, Ruby is really growing on me - she seems like great craic. I didn't know what to make of her at the start (I always felt herself and Dan had daggers for each other.... fake nice), but she actually comes across as really sound. Briony seems like a sensitive soul.... I wonder if she will be able for the pressure and potential criticism over these next few weeks.

One thing I did note is that Paul and Prue were stone-faced when poor Kim-Joy (possibly the most positive cheery person in the history of GBBO) became teary. :eek: Mary Berry would have have stepped in and reassured her in some way. I felt Paul and Prue were particularly critical in this episode....

I really missed Mel and Sue tonight when Kim-Joy got upset. I know Sandi eventually jumped in but Mel and Sue wouldn’t have let it get that far. They were always brilliant at soothing and comforting upset contestants.

Having said that, I was surprised that Kim-Joy got quite so upset. I didn’t think the Paul and Prue said anything particularly harsh to her. I know she was disappointed in her mistake that meant she underproved her pastry but surely that would mean she understood their criticism? It must have been a seriously tense atmosphere that week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Watched it after reading comments here and even though mamon's bakes were better than Rahul's, she didn't bake what was asked for.

I am starting to think that Rahul is a bit fake though. I've never watched Star Wars, but I still know who Luke sky walker is.

All the tears actually annoyed me tonight. KimJoy made some comment about crying early on in the show.
    They can't deal with any criticism at all.

Advertisement