Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think some of them become so emotional because the pressure is insane. They all came so far, the bakes get so difficult, it's incredibly hot in the tent which makes many tasks infinitely more tricky and despite working so hard things don't work out and it's frustrating.
    It's fair enough that you start to crumble away at some point, we're all human after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Saw this on twitter
    DpqFk3EWwAA54OG?format=jpg&name=small
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Kjshaw91/status/1052300335509856257

I'm a bit torn on the result, Rahul did terrible and he kind of annoys me tbh but manon did seem to not follow the brief.

I quite like kim-joy, I reckon the stress of it all just got to her. Briony has also come on a long way, especially considering her disability, winning the technical on what was a very fiddly task is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ya, briony did fantastic with the technical. She should've got star baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

LirW wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident at that point that Ruby is going to win the thing, I'm quite indifferent towards her though. Her baking is either very good or a total mess-up. The thing is though she's a very presentable and confident person, she has Paul on her side, she could certainly make a bit of a career out of it.

I think Kim-Joy will go home next week since she's really crumbling away under that huge amount of pressure. Which is a pity because she's a lovely person.

And tonight's decision, it's tough. In fairness, Manon didn't give a sh1t about anything, she made a French bread, she made bloody croissants and pain au Chocolat and even said so at the beginning of the show stopper that she doesn't want to do Danish since she doesn't like it "so I make croissants".
    Rahul tried while she just was pretty darn arrogant about it, almost like Danish is beneath her.
    Yes Rahul messed up, this was the first time in the show where he seriously messed up because his level was consistently high. I would have sent them both home honestly because they were equally bad. He burnt the bejaysus out of everything and she simply didn't care about the motto of the week and did bad bakes.

They both deserved to go home honestly for different reasons.

That's why if they said "this is Rahul's first fcuk up, he deserves a second chance" it would sit easier but he covered his Danish in fcking Buttermilk! Paul even warned him about that before he started.

I didn't like Ruby at the beginning thought she was all frill no thrill but she's improving rapidly as it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I was slightly torn on Manon getting booted.
    Rahul made a big mess of everything, Manon was slightly better but she didn't bake what was asked. She improvised and baked French instead of Danish. Would she have baked a vanilla cake instead of chocolate? I don't think so so maybe it was a fair result, maybe not!

I just hope they don't over compensate and start zooming in on Rahuls arse cos Manon is gone!

• Advertisement

Rahul could not be eliminated if it was any way close. They always try to keep a gender balance.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think that's a bit unfair to Ruby's baking talents, I have no argument with her progress through the show so far.

I can't remember a show where I thought she should have gone over whoever actually did go.

And despite Manon actually having heard of and seen the technical bake this week, didn't Ruby beat her in that?

Yeah, I thought that was odd, given Ruby cut her pastries to get the fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I thought it was a terrible result. Rahul's bread was inedible in the Signature, he came last in the Technical, and his Danish was completely burned in the Showstopper. Manon didn't do great either, obviously, but in my eyes her bakes were better. I know Paul made a case about her not sticking to the brief, but that shouldn't be enough of a reason to go, especially when someone else did so bad. At one stage she siad she was using Danish Butter and he told her she should use French! :)

Obviously it was very stressful in the tent this week, Paul and Prue definitely increased the pressure and standard they expected. I'd be worried that Kim Joy will crumble from the pressure next week, and Briony is close as well, though her Technical gave her confidence this week after a dodgy start. As I don't think Rahul deserves to still be in the competition, I really don't think he should go on to win. I'd be happy with any of the other four winning, unless of course they win after having a poor weekend compared to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My cynical hat is wondering if the producers were expecting Rahul to be a more popular contestant than he has turned out to be? This is all filmed ahead of time so they don’t know who the show darlings will be. Maybe the producers thought that people would find him adorable when he’s actually been grating on a lot of people’s nerves.

I’m surprised to see so many people on Twitter and the like saying Briony was robbed of Star Baker. Ruby won the signature round easily whereas Briony didn’t do well at all in that. Briony won the technical with Ruby middle of the pack. This puts Ruby ahead at that point as she did better in the technical than Briony did in the signature. And to me, Briony and Ruby were very close in the showstopper round. Briony’s was said to be closest to the Danish pastry but Ruby’s was highly praised as well. So Ruby has two very, very good rounds and a middling one whereas Briony had two very, very good rounds and a bad one. To me, Ruby shaded it or they were at the very least equal. And seeing as Briony has won it before and it was so close, they probably decided it would nice to award it to Ruby. I expected her to be star baker and was glad that she was.

Is Rahul not popular?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Is Rahul not popular?

I personally don't like him. Neither does my partner or my parents. I don't really know anyone else that watches. Seems to be a few here who like him and a few who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I find it hard to watch Rahul . GBBO is a feel good relaxing show and his stress and anxiety makes me anxious . I don't think he would be a suitable winner either as he would be so stressed at interviews etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

It's funny, my two favourites were Rahul and Dan..most here don't like either!! Couldn't stand Jon...and most here love him! It's my first year watching bake off and my husband and I can't understand the whole 'let's help each other out when our cake goes wrong...let's wear Hawaiian shirt in honour of Jon' nonsense. At the end of the day it's a competition. Maybe we just prefer the more competitive and cut throat type of competition!! :D

I liked him in a patronising, pitiful way (which is an awful reason to be liked) until last night.
    Now I'm convinced it's all an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd kinda agree, even from the start there was something about it that it seemed a bit off. Maybe he is very nervous but either way I've never warmed to him too much, though have to admit he is very good, barring the disaster of last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I liked him in a patronising, pitiful way (which is an awful reason to be liked) until last night.

The cynic in me thought the same . I expect him anyday now to drop the anxiety and blossom into a confident baker

I didn't like Jon either.
    My favourites are left. Love the 3 girls.
    Rahul is brilliant-but baking is a science after all, and he is a genius scientist.

Is Rahul not popular?

He has some fans but plenty don’t like him because he’s overly self-deprecating. And still others (and I’d be one of them) find his anxiety painful to watch. He also has no sense of humour which somehow doesn’t suit the show.

In fairness to the fella, i wouldn't agree that he has no sense of humour.
    He's not living in UK very long.
    I'd say a lot is lost in translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sorry to see Manon go she was a good baker. It could have been any of them really say Rahul got away with this week despite doing so well the other weeks think the pressure got to him and all of them this week. Kim Joy slipped up a little bit but the game is very much on could go any kind of way but do think its looking like a girl could win the way how things went for Rahul but look anything could happen! I think he funny but think he just very nervous person I say. Anything is possible after Dan and Manon left!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just watched it there now. At first I thought Manon was robbed, but in all fairness, she didn't do Danish stuff - it was all French. Rahul's stuff might have been awful, but at least it was awful and Danish, so on Danish week awful and Danish wins over awful and French.

It's funny seeing Manon and Rahul coming unstuck in this round - previously Manon could always have done a French version of the brief, and Rahul always gave his stuff an Indian twist. This week when they had to do a specific type of baking and couldn't add their "trademark" take on it, they both really struggled.

Ya, his mammy was no help this week and it showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

In fairness to the fella, i wouldn't agree that he has no sense of humour.
    He's not living in UK very long.
    I'd say a lot is lost in translation.

I thought he was in the UK seven or eight years? I think he just doesn't get Noel really. Seems to look at him like a big friendly bird swooping down on him or something!

He usually stresses me out and makes me feel sorry for him as he's so anxious, but I couldn't feel that this week. Seriously like, making his own cheese?! He definitely knows how good he is really, even though this week went badly. Agree that he should have gone, a burnt showstopper has to be worse than an unfilled one.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

jellybear wrote: »
    It's funny, my two favourites were Rahul and Dan..most here don't like either!! Couldn't stand Jon...and most here love him! It's my first year watching bake off and my husband and I can't understand the whole 'let's help each other out when our cake goes wrong...let's wear Hawaiian shirt in honour of Jon' nonsense. At the end of the day it's a competition. Maybe we just prefer the more competitive and cut throat type of competition!! :D

I agree here. Didn't like Jon at all and here's the kicker that's going to get me shot... i cannot abide Kim Joy. The blubbing because they didn't fall all over her made me want to throw something at the TV. sorry! None of them did well and they all dealt well with the criticism.

I liked Rahul from the beginning, still do. I think he was genuinely shocked not to go this week. its wrong to blame him too. if the producers are pulling a fast one that's not his fault. I'm not saying he shouldn't have gone this week but i'm glad he didn't :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think Rahul was very lucky not to go this week...they must have taken into account how he did in the other weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I agree here. Didn't like Jon at all and here's the kicker that's going to get me shot... i cannot abide Kim Joy. The blubbing because they didn't fall all over her made me want to throw something at the TV. sorry!

100% this - can't stand Kim-Joy. I think I have an issue with flittery head titly people with blue eye shadow :o:o

Gutted to see Manon go but I think Rahul is a hoot - I've worked with a number of people just like him and he reminds me of them so I'm behind him!

Rahul wears a wedding ring?
    No word of a spouse though?

Toots wrote: »
    Just watched it there now. At first I thought Manon was robbed, but in all fairness, she didn't do Danish stuff - it was all French. Rahul's stuff might have been awful, but at least it was awful and Danish, so on Danish week awful and Danish wins over awful and French.

It's funny seeing Manon and Rahul coming unstuck in this round - previously Manon could always have done a French version of the brief, and Rahul always gave his stuff an Indian twist. This week when they had to do a specific type of baking and couldn't add their "trademark" take on it, they both really struggled.

I don’t know about this - there are light coloured rye breads and there was no specification to make a dark rye bread. She worried that they’d be thrown by the colour - and they were. Is that her fault? IMO, she did try to make a rye bread. They said it didn’t taste like rye bread but they couldn’t taste Rahul’s at all because it was inedible. At leaat Manon’s bread seemed decent. As well as that, the decoration was supposed to be aesthetically-pleasing and Rahul’s wasn’t.

I’ve also read a bit about Danishes and there seems to little consensus about what they should be filled with. Additionally, Paul said that Rahul’s showstopper seemed ten minutes overbaked. If that’s true, then Rahul left his pastry in the oven nearly double the time it should have been. That’s shocking. His Danish pastry looked really awful to me. Whereas parts of Manon’s looked okay. I wouldn’t have even tried Rahul’s cremated-looking pastry but I would have tried Manon’s.

And though Manon was fourth in the technical, there seemed to gulf between hers and Rahul’s which were burnt.

So I still think Manon’s elimination was BS. We have a semi-finalist who fúcked up every single round of the quarter-final. That’s mad.

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I agree here. Didn't like Jon at all and here's the kicker that's going to get me shot... i cannot abide Kim Joy. The blubbing because they didn't fall all over her made me want to throw something at the TV. sorry! None of them did well and they all dealt well with the criticism.

I liked Rahul from the beginning, still do. I think he was genuinely shocked not to go this week. its wrong to blame him too. if the producers are pulling a fast one that's not his fault. I'm not saying he shouldn't have gone this week but i'm glad he didn't :D.

Agree actually. The criticism Kim-Joy received wasn’t that harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I really don't care who wins to be honest! Haven't really taken to any of the ones that are left. Maybe Im just tired of cooking shows :0

Advertisement