Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Just catching up now, because for some reason, boards wouldn't load properly for me yesterday? :unsure:
    I was delighted to have accurately guessed the technical challenge, but lacking the necessary pan, couldn't make it, and didn't really want to buy a unitasker item if I could avoid it. I didn't guess that I'd have to stick my danishes together into a girl/boy shape, so my bake isn't quite as accurate as usual. Oh well, we enjoyed eating them I suppose and that's the important thing!
    The episode didn't go at all as I expected, I definitely thought Rahul was going home, and that Briony would get star baker, though I've seen arguments for Manon to go and for Ruby to get star baker, after the fact, that make some sense to me too. I suppose that we have to remember that there's so much edited out that we don't see, and there may have been things that played into the decision that didn't make the cut. 

I think the tears and atmosphere in the tent were a bit of a shock for some viewers this week, but tbh, I get it. It's so full on for the bakers. It's weeks of baking and thinking about baking and being judged, again and again, with no break. They're back in the tent every weekend, and they spend the week before practicing and thinking and planning. They've got to be so invested at this point and also, very likely, a little exhausted. I often feel the same way when rehearsing for a show - hitting a point where, even though I signed up for this, and I enjoy it, and I like what I'm learning, I'm also just overwhelmed by all that's being asked of me, and I'm tired of having no life, and I'm sad.
    And it's hard when you are putting yourself out there, creatively. It's hard to separate "your thing isn't good" from "you, personally, aren't good" when you're already feeling a bit raw and a bit tired. Hell, I just bake for my family every week, and they're the most cheerful and receptive audience ever, and I still beat myself up about it, apologise to them for bakes that I feel are "sub-standard" and fret about what I'll make each week. The bakers are only human, they're not professionals, and they've put themselves out there in a very challenging way for weeks. I reckon they've earned a few tears here and there. Yes, it's just cake. But also, it's not just cake. 
    Just my 2c on the changed atmosphere!

My bake for this week was two kinds of danish pastries. Raspberry, peach, and vanilla lattices, and chocolate hazelnut pinwheels. Pleased with the pastry, though imo I did overdo the pinwheels just a touch. The vanilla creme pat in both turned out delicious though, and the biggest challenge there was not just eating it all directly with a spoon!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=464111
    I need to rewatch the preview for next week to figure out what to make now. I guessed that Patisserie week would be coming, it's always a fiddly one and it's best saved for those heading to the end game, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how they tackle that. I expect that KimJoy in particular will have absolutely beautifully decorated stuff, and I can't wait to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Rahul could not be eliminated if it was any way close. They always try to keep a gender balance.

I think probably also concerned about having to organise suicide watch for him if he got the boot.

Hollywood handshake next week for him required as a life support boost from this week's squeeze through the eye of the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I think probably also concerned about having to organise suicide watch for him if he got the boot.

Hollywood handshake next week for him required as a life support boost from this week's squeeze through the eye of the needle.

Lol I can't watch his constant anxieties about everything! He just gets on my nerves now. I think this is the first year I'm not too bothered about who wins or even watching it properly. I find I'm on my phone or not pausing it when I have to make tea etc.
    I don't think Rahul is pleasant easy watching which to me was what bake off was always about, it was a de stresser after work but not now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Any predictions for tonight guys? I think Kim Joy might go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I was thinking Kim Joy too, due to her wobble under pressure last week. That said, Rahul crumbled as well, but survived (let's not start that discussion again!). Really, at this stage, it could come down to whomever has a bad day...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll guess Briony!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think Briony too. Kim Joys decor will cover up for any mistake she makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It could be between Rahul and Briony to go home tonight. Rahul is generally pretty good but had a really bad week last week and another poor week cannot be justified. Briony on the other hand, is good, but may not be "good enough" compared to the rest. She's a little sweetheart though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Its Patisserie week so I think given Kim Joys skill at fine decoration she will do well.
    The will be lot of pressure on Rahul after lasts weeks disaster will he be able to handle it or let it get to him.
    But to be fair anyone could go, there are all good bakers and a lot of it will come down to how the perform on the day, its a little bit down to luck on the day really.
    Looking forward to it anyway.

I think Rahul could leave. Also I think the weather was getting very hot when this was recorded, so there could be a few disasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I think it's between Ruby and Briony to go this week. Rahul and Kim Joy normally have exquisitely decorated bakes, whereas sometimes the other two can be sloppier with theirs. Suspect the pressue is more likely to get to the other two though so really it's anyone's game tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"meh meh don't think the hump is there meh meh sigh".
    They come out perfect. Fck off Rahul.

Kim Joy looking to be in dangerous territory

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

razorblunt wrote: »
    "meh meh don't think the hump is there meh meh sigh".
    They come out perfect. Fck off Rahul.

He is the epitome of misery . Pure joyless

I genuinely think Paul just doesn't like Kim Joy. He seems quite cold with her...

This is anyone's week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I genuinely think Paul just doesn't like Kim Joy. He seems quite cold with her...

This is anyone's week

He's only got eyes for Ruby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Paul isn't a happy man with Rahul

Paul actually just seems a bit moody this week.

If they are fair tonight then Rahul has to go surely

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Rahul doesn't even look happy for any off the others when they go up. I think he's just a spoilt lil brat. Poor Briony will go just due to the amount of mistakes. Shame. I liked her. Who'd have thought Ruby would be this far? I think she has been through so many criticisms she just doesn't care and she bakes with less pressure now. The others are imploding. But even I know patisserie is small and delicate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Paul is deffo on his period
    Briony to go methinks
    Paul fancys Ruby big time

larko wrote: »
    Rahul doesn't even look happy for any off the others when they go up. I think he's just a spoilt lil brat. Poor Briony will go just due to the amount of mistakes. Shame. I liked her. Who'd have thought Ruby would be this far? I think she has been through so many criticisms she just doesn't care and she bakes with less pressure now. The others are imploding. But even I know patisserie is small and delicate.

He is joyless

Well done Ruby ! She is good to watch and easy to like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

None of them are really any good though are they? Pretty weak for a semi final.

I don't agree that Rahul should have gone. I think he was better than Briony in signature and showstopper, and was only 1 place below her in technical. I think the right person went, although I am sorry to see her go.

I actually think Rahul produced some magnificent works of art the first half of the series, just wondering where that's all gone. Stress seems to be gnawing away at him and Kim Joy to the extent that I wouldn't put victory past Ruby. I just don't really like her though.

I would have loved to see Rahul go. Iamwhoiam is spot on.. he's joyless! It's a chore to watch him, he's just ruining bake off for me. Buuuut... Briony did deserve to go. Which is a shame because I loved her!

But I love Ruby too so I'm delighted to see her get star baker again. Why do people keep mentioning that Paul fancies her? He's a grown man .. who cares if he does? I'm a straight woman and I kinda fancy her. I hope it's not to imply that there's a bias in her favour. I think she's a very good baker and deserves to be in the final. I love that she's confident and calm.

I hope she wins. If not her then Kim Joy. If Rahul wins I suspect I might throw a mighty childish tantrum! :D

I'd rather see Kim Joy win. Imagine her on a show of her own, making all kinds of completely adorable bakes

I'd rather see Kim Joy win. Imagine her on a show of her own, making all kinds of completely adorable bakes

It was a pity her Danish was bad last week because I thought it was one of the most aesthetically pleasing bakes I've ever seen. Her stuff is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Rahul is truly the most joyless sod I’ve ever come across. I know some things are lost in translation if you’re a recent immigrant but he never cracks a smile. I’ve not ever seen anything like it. He’ll be a terrible winner if he does win.

Advertisement