Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yayyyy :D Well I'm delighted anyway. I was hoping it would be Rahul.

For anyone wondering, my 'friend' had told me it was Ruby.

Oh, and I'm obviously not in Kerry tonight, but I will be on Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Rahul stated that he’d never eaten a donut but then went on to say that he liked donuts with lots of filling - I really don’t know what to make of him, whether he’s genuine or not.

To be fair, he said he'd never eaten a donut before finding out he had to make them for a challenge. Obviously he'd have eaten one when practising for the challenge, and formed a preference for ones with lots of filling.

Didn't enjoy the final, found it all a bit meh.
    I hate that instead of giving the finalists a chance to shine, they seem determined to set them up for a fall. Cooking pitta breads over an outdoor fire they have to build for themselves with no direction, as well as making three dips. As a final challenge in a baking competition. Spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Deligthed:D Wanted him to win from episode one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm just happy that Kimjoy didn't win. I never particularly warmed to her, and in the last few weeks her annoying little habits have grated on me - totally irrational things like how she drags out the final word of every sentence and even how she pushes her glasses up on her face every time she's speaking on camera, probably a nervous tic, but it drives me mad! I also thought she over reacted to the criticism on Danish week, what they said wasn't that bad and she couldn't deal with it at all! That said she was the most artistic out of all the bakers.

I'm not that annoyed Rahul won, he is a very good baker, even though he seemed to implode for the past 2 weeks. I agree he is awkward to watch but I really don't think he can help it.

Ruby would have been the popular choice, but I don't think she is an outstanding baker, she was the best of a bad lot for the past few weeks so seemed to be coming good at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wanted Ruby or Raul to win. I think Raul deserved it more today although how would anyone think that putting buttercream on doughnuts is beyond me. I think the challenges today were a bit rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    For the firhst time ever I didn't enjoy that final at all . And every showstopper looked awful . They looked sloppy and untidy and no comparison to some amazing previous ones

Me too. I actively disliked it. No atmosphere, gimmicky technical challenge, really uninspiring showstopper round where they all looked awful. And Kim Joy was clearly ahead after the first two rounds but Paul annoyed me by trying to pretend that there was nothing separating the contestants at that point to ramp up the drama. We’re not stupid, Paul!

The first series on Channel 4 did a great job of replicating the lovely atmosphere of the BBC version but this year’s series took a slide into reality TV mediocrity. I also feel like they are trying to shoehorn Noel Fielding quirkiness in a bit now too whereas last year he was more natural and gentle. I really, really miss the show being on the Beeb now.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Rahul stated that he’d never eaten a donut but then went on to say that he liked donuts with lots of filling - I really don’t know what to make of him, whether he’s genuine or not.
    You’re not the only won to spot this.

Well, he had to practice them. He might have figured out how much filling he liked during that process. He might have never had one before practicing his signature bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I hated the final and I found the whole season was kinda meh. Honestly Channel4 is making an absolute joke out of a really decent show.
    It turned into a personality contest with tasks so difficult that seasoned pros would struggle with them.
    They're not looking for the best chef out there or a new TV presenter, these people are amateurs and that whole idea to look for the best home baker was lovely and perfectly fine. I'm interested in seeing people do bakes, not Ruby's back side in every shot possible. Poor editing, poor production in my opinion.
    They should really consider going back to basics, it's gets really American.

I think though that Rahul deserved to win. It doesn't matter that he'd make a poor TV host, that's not what the show is looking for. He was by far the strongest baker and while Ruby seems to be a sound woman, she was, skill wise in my opinion quite average. The reason why she won the last 2 weeks wasn't because she's so outstanding but she was the contestant who didn't suck as much as the others, because some royally screwed up where she didn't.
    Rahul is a gifted baker, he really put out some incredible work the whole season and I'm glad that he won. I'm not into that guy at all but I appreciate what he has shown this week.

I just hope C4 scraps this reality TV bullsh1t. The show lost a lot of its magic that it was known for, the quiet, the personality, Paul not being a major d1ck.
    A pity, because this year's contestants were a lovely lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

If Rahul had taken a dump on plate it would have been praised for its nuttiness.

I'm just happy that Kimjoy didn't win. I never particularly warmed to her, and in the last few weeks her annoying little habits have grated on me - totally irrational things like how she drags out the final word of every sentence and even how she pushes her glasses up on her face every time she's speaking on camera, probably a nervous tic, but it drives me mad! I also thought she over reacted to the criticism on Danish week, what they said wasn't that bad and she couldn't deal with it at all! That said she was the most artistic out of all the bakers.

I thought she was coming across as very smug tonight. She definitely thought that she had it in the bag.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    I hated the final and I found the whole season was kinda meh. Honestly Channel4 is making an absolute joke out of a really decent show.
    It turned into a personality contest with tasks so difficult that seasoned pros would struggle with them.
    They're not looking for the best chef out there or a new TV presenter, these people are amateurs and that whole idea to look for the best home baker was lovely and perfectly fine. I'm interested in seeing people do bakes, not Ruby's back side in every shot possible. Poor editing, poor production in my opinion.
    They should really consider going back to basics, it's gets really American.

I think though that Rahul deserved to win. It doesn't matter that he'd make a poor TV host, that's not what the show is looking for. He was by far the strongest baker and while Ruby seems to be a sound woman, she was, skill wise in my opinion quite average. The reason why she won the last 2 weeks wasn't because she's so outstanding but she was the contestant who didn't suck as much as the others, because some royally screwed up where she didn't.
    Rahul is a gifted baker, he really put out some incredible work the whole season and I'm glad that he won. I'm not into that guy at all but I appreciate what he has shown this week.

I just hope C4 scraps this reality TV bullsh1t. The show lost a lot of its magic that it was known for, the quiet, the personality, Paul not being a major d1ck.
    A pity, because this year's contestants were a lovely lot.

I really like Ruby but I agree, she was lucky to be in the final. Really, it should have been somebody like Dan, a talented baker who was unlucky enough to have an implosion. The show has never been about finding TV personalities. Some past winners have ended up occasionally popping up on TV but others haven’t.

Ruby is very personable and would be a great TV presenter but that’s not what Bake Off is about. I think tonight showed up that she lagged behind Rahul and Kim-Joy, skills-wise.

It was Kim-Joy’s to lose going into the final round but her Showstopper just wasn’t up to her usual standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

While I would have liked Ruby to win because she is just very nice & fun, Rahul probably deserved it.

Wasn't keen on Kim Joy, she had an air of smug about her tonight

Birdsong wrote: »
    While I would have liked Ruby to win because she is just very nice & fun, Rahul probably deserved it.

Wasn't keen on Kim Joy, she had an air of smug about her tonight

I always hated that weird, patronising ‘Awww’ Kim-Joy would utter to the judges when they said something nice about her bake. Her quirks were really beginning to grate tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Happy for Rahul that he won. I've warmed to Kim-Joy over the last few weeks and was hoping she'd get it, but Rahul was probably the more deserving one. I agree with others that I don't like these gimmicky challenges. Vegan week got a lot of flack this year, but I'd much rather see something realistic like that that people might actually want/need to bake, than "dessert landscapes" or "biscuit chandeliers" that nobody in their right mind would ever make. I get that the programme has been running for a while now and they need fresh ideas, but I genuinely think the best challenges are the ones where they are given a relatively simple task and asked to do it extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rahul looks like he deserved to win tonight....however he had some absolutely brutal bakes the last few weeks, very lucky to stay, if he hadn't been so good at the start he would surely have been gone?

Of people who went to early I thought Dan, he was really near top most weeks, one bad one and then gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Happy for Rahul that he won. I've warmed to Kim-Joy over the last few weeks and was hoping she'd get it, but Rahul was probably the more deserving one. I agree with others that I don't like these gimmicky challenges. Vegan week got a lot of flack this year, but I'd much rather see something realistic like that that people might actually want/need to bake, than "dessert landscapes" or "biscuit chandeliers" that nobody in their right mind would ever make. I get that the programme has been running for a while now and they need fresh ideas, but I genuinely think the best challenges are the ones where they are given a relatively simple task and asked to do it extremely well.

Think Vegan week is genuine thing now. With a sizable number of people going vegan, a baker should be able to adapt to no trends. But the pitta challenge was a little unfair for the final i felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have just watched the final now, and must say I agree with most of the comments tonight.

Didn't particularly enjoy tonight's final. No elegance or finesse about any part of it at all.

The doughnuts were a particlarly clunky thing to have as the signature round.

The technical was nearly like a trick round - you have to cook the pittas on a slate at a particular temperature (mentioned at least twice) but the slate is on an open sticks fire that you're minding yourself (while doing 20 other tasks in the midday sun on a table the size of a postage stamp) - puh-lease, they wouldn't even have that sort of a task on I'm A Celebrity.

And the showstoppers were just three messes as far as I could see. I have no doubt that various cakes tasted lovely, but that was the most unappetising lot of bakes I've seen in all the series I've watched (not a lot, to be fair).

I think Rahul probably did deserve to win tonight - he recovered well from his exploding jar, and having to start over, and then do the last 15 mins all alone in deafening silence by the sounds of it. That would mess with anyone's head, never mind a head like Rahul's.

Having said that, if I never have to see his frowning face, or hear his depressed intoning of doooooooom again, that's just fine by me.

I wonder should we all email a link to this thread to C4 to let them know our displeasure at the turn the series has taken? Venting on here is all well and good, but we all still watched, so the viewing figures will be good - but it's definitely taken a turn down the trashy reality TV road which is really disappointing.

Anyone for a joint Bring-Back-The-Great-Pottery-Throwdown and Bring-Back-The-Great-British-Bakeoff-As-It-Should-Be campaign?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm not a fan of Rahul's, and haven't been from the very beginning. However after day one Kim -Joy was probably only marginally ahead and she screwed it up for herself in the show-stopper. Rahul's show-stopper was clearly the best, and given that he wasn't miles behind Kim-Joy after day one there could really only be one winner. I wanted Ruby to win, but unfortunately she never really got going and while a really good show-stopper might have brought her back into the reckoning, hers was quite poorly finished in comparison to the other two. But at least Kim-Joy didn't win, she irritated me even more than Rahul.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Think Vegan week is genuine thing now. With a sizable number of people going vegan, a baker should be able to adapt to no trends. But the pitta challenge was a little unfair for the final i felt.

Paul was blatantly unenthused by vegan week so I’m not convinced we’ll be seeing it happen again. And, to be honest, I didn’t enjoy it either. That probably makes me close-minded but there you go!

Also, Rahul’s mother seems like a right dose. Note how she didn’t congratulate him personally, just blabbered on about God and how her prayers got him the win. I don’t know, maybe there was skilful editing there and she did say nicer things that didn’t make the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Paul was blatantly unenthused by vegan week so I’m not convinced we’ll be seeing it happen again. And, to be honest, I didn’t enjoy it either. That probably makes me close-minded but there you go!

I wasn't overly enthused myself, but unfortunately vegan baking is now a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

gmisk wrote: »
    Of people who went to early I thought Dan, he was really near top most weeks, one bad one and then gone.
    Did Dan make any friends on the show?

If you were to base it on consistency over the series, then KimJoy should've won. But then, she was style over substance a lot of the time.

I can't believe some of the fuss online about Rahul's 'extra' time. It obviously wasn't extra time.

I think he was a deserving winner. Odd to feel sorry for a winner though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That was a poor final, the three show stoppers were pretty meh. I was surprised at both Kim-Joy and Rahul as both of them usually excel at decoration. I thought Rahul had a poor week and was surprised he won but at the same time, I feel like he scraped through a few other rounds so maybe his flavours were really out of this world - we'll never know :D

All in all, a dull kind of final. That outdoor task with the open fire was nonsense. How is cooking on a camp fire and making some dips a big baking challenge?

Addle wrote: »
    Did Dan make any friends on the show?

Nope. When they showed the bit at the end about everyone meeting up with each other, no one had met up with Dan!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Nope. When they showed the bit at the end about everyone meeting up with each other, no one had met up with Dan!

I noticed that as well! Was he really that bad? I know he seemed a bit of a drama llama when things didn't go well for him a couple of times but other than that he came across ok, I thought.

Also, Rahul’s mother seems like a right dose. Note how she didn’t congratulate him personally, just blabbered on about God and how her prayers got him the win. I don’t know, maybe there was skilful editing there and she say nicer things that didn’t make the cut.

She could have been reading the Hindustan telephone directory for all we knew!

But if that translation was accurate, you can kinda see where Rahul might have got his personality from.....

That was so mortifyingly obvious, can't believe they let it through like that! He wasn't THAT bad in the series, but maybe more went on behind the scenes that we didn't get to hear about?

That was terrible. They surely will never do a campfire again. Rahul a very poor winner - he should have been gone a couple of weeks ago when he burned every thing. The show stoppers were awful - what's wrong with getting them to make a wedding cake or same?

That was my biggest problem with this year's final - all three rounds were just messy. No chance for them to display skill, precision, design, artistry - even KimJoy struggled to make something pretty of her showstopper, and if she couldn't make it dainty and arty.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The final itself was a bit like the 3 challenges - messy and a bit uninspiring....

Meh.

How long before Ruby is on the cover of one of those magazines, and on Loose women etc etc......

Overall ,It was a good series, but left down by the final....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement