Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    She could have been reading the Hindustan telephone directory for all we knew!

But if that translation was accurate, you can kinda see where Rahul might have got his personality from.....

That was so mortifyingly obvious, can't believe they let it through like that! He wasn't THAT bad in the series, but maybe more went on behind the scenes that we didn't get to hear about?

Jon didn't meet up with anybody either, and he was everyones friend;). Maybe it was a distance issue, maybe he had nobody to take care of his kids, who knows? Did anybody see Terry at the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭LushiousLips

[/B]

Jon didn't meet up with anybody either, and he was everyones friend;). Maybe it was a distance issue, maybe he had nobody to take care of his kids, who knows? Did anybody see Terry at the final?

I thought I saw John and I saw Terry too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh, and I've just remembered - what was with the fly crawling all over KimJoy's fondant bees (getting jiggy?) :eek: :eek:

Not the slightest tweak or effort from anyone to swat it away, or cover food just lying there.

I'm assuming (well, I hope anyway) that she didn't actually use that one on her doughnuts, but what a bizarre thing to include in the final edit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Also, Rahul’s mother seems like a right dose. Note how she didn’t congratulate him personally, just blabbered on about God and how her prayers got him the win. I don’t know, maybe there was skilful editing there and she say nicer things that didn’t make the cut.
    Sounded like a fairly typical Irish Mammy response, albeit from a different continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

As an aside,Kim Joy looks like the love child of a frog and Timmy Mallett.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Uncharted wrote: »

OMG Lofl - sickened Rahul won it - wasn’t a fan of Ruby either but she was the best Over the past few weeks - methinks it had to be given to him or he would seriously have had a flitther fit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I wasn't overly enthused myself, but unfortunately vegan baking is now a thing

Definitely a thing, I'd say it will be back and hopefully they'll make a better job of it when it is more mainstream. You'll notice loads of hotels in Dublin starting to offer vegan afternoon tea, I just had one at the Shelbourne and was in a fully vegan french patisserie restaurant in London recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

An awful final, all things considered.

I'm not fan of Rahul but he was the best of that lot, but it was a serious let down.
    Something must have gone wrong behind the scenes that forced them outdoors as that challenge was poor filler.
    If they're going to set tasks like that (and that glazed chocolate cake in the semi) then I want to see 5 mins of Prue and Paul attempting it.

The showstoppers were appalling, it didn't look appetizing at all. Kim Joy had what looked like a plain gingerbread wall with "Atlantis" scrawled on.

Whatever happened to letting the bakers shine instead of "lol they're falling apart".
    Another series of that and C4 are in trouble.

On a related note I watched a re-run of some series (maybe series 5) and they spent 5-10 mins showing Mary baking the cake for the challenge and talking about pitfalls and how they're avoided, it then cuts back to the contestants hitting those falls. Simplistically brilliant tv.

I hope Ruby does well out of this, haven't seen a naturally likeable person like that since Nadia won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

razorblunt wrote: »
    An awful final, all things considered.

I hope Ruby does well out of this, haven't seen a naturally likeable person like that since Nadia won.

She has launched her website and has been very active on SM building a following throughout the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sounded like a fairly typical Irish Mammy response, albeit from a different continent.

Not the mammys i know .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

razorblunt wrote: »

On a related note I watched a re-run of some series (maybe series 5) and they spent 5-10 mins showing Mary baking the cake for the challenge and talking about pitfalls and how they're avoided, it then cuts back to the contestants hitting those falls. Simplistically brilliant tv.

The BBC ran GBBO Masterclass. It was where Paul and Mary would make some of the bakes from the past show and how they would do it. Very interesting seeing how they approached it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I thought I saw John and I saw Terry too :)

Jon was there at the garden party. I didn't see Terry though. I'm talking about the end credits where they showed everybody meeting up. Ruby, Manon and Anthony hang out and Imelda has been over to visit. Briony meeting up with Terry, and Karen, Rahul, Kimjoy and Luke having dinner parties. Then it cut to Dan, home alone with his daughter, and Jon with his family. This is where posters are referring to Dan as being "not part of the gang" and I pointed out that Jon hadn't been pictured meeting up with anyone either.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Uncharted wrote: »
    That's a fairly nasty comment.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not the mammys i know .
    I wonder if we're of different generations? I'm referring to the stereotypical Irish Mammy of the 60s and 70s - this kind of mammy; https://twitter.com/irishmammies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Nope. When they showed the bit at the end about everyone meeting up with each other, no one had met up with Dan!
    miamee wrote: »
    I noticed that as well! Was he really that bad? I know he seemed a bit of a drama llama when things didn't go well for him a couple of times but other than that he came across ok, I thought.
    That was so mortifyingly obvious, can't believe they let it through like that! He wasn't THAT bad in the series, but maybe more went on behind the scenes that we didn't get to hear about?

In fairness, they didn’t show Jon meeting up with anyone either!

Not any Irish mammy I know! Like, if I was in a competition my folks would say a prayer but if I won, they’d say “well done, YOU”, not God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

That's a fairly nasty comment.

I do try :rolleyes:

Tha

I wonder if we're of different generations? I'm referring to the stereotypical Irish Mammy of the 60s and 70s - this kind of mammy; https://twitter.com/irishmammies
    I think I am probably older than you and know mammies from the 50's 60's and 70's who were supportive and would praise where praise was needed

Definitely a thing, I'd say it will be back and hopefully they'll make a better job of it when it is more mainstream. You'll notice loads of hotels in Dublin starting to offer vegan afternoon tea, I just had one at the Shelbourne and was in a fully vegan french patisserie restaurant in London recently.

I just don’t know, Paul was really unimpressed by the whole thing. :pac: But it might not just be down to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You could really tell he didn't want to give out a handshake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Rahul, describe yourself with one word"

"Depressing"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ruby wins, I think!

Hmmmm... beautiful face alright, but Manon with her French accent :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I have to say Ruby has great eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Oh, and I've just remembered - what was with the fly crawling all over KimJoy's fondant bees (getting jiggy?) :eek: :eek:

Not the slightest tweak or effort from anyone to swat it away, or cover food just lying there.

I'm assuming (well, I hope anyway) that she didn't actually use that one on her doughnuts, but what a bizarre thing to include in the final edit :rolleyes:
    What wass bizzare about it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Just watched it tonight. The showstoppers were so dull and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

siblers wrote: »
    What wass bizzare about it :confused:
    Flies being just about the most unhygienic thing there is near food, to film one crawling all over a decoration that's to be fed to judges in the next hour, and not even blink, to me is bizarre.

Maybe I'm an outlier on that, though.

If they had to film it (I'd have happily lived without seeing that particular footage), I'd have at least expected to see KimJoy bin that bee, or say that she wouldn't use it, or at least trying to swat the bloody thing off, not oohing and aahing over it.

Flies being just about the most unhygienic thing there is near food, to film one crawling all over a decoration that's to be fed to judges in the next hour, and not even blink, to me is bizarre.

Maybe I'm an outlier on that, though.

If they had to film it (I'd have happily lived without seeing that particular footage), I'd have at least expected to see KimJoy bin that bee, or say that she wouldn't use it, or at least trying to swat the bloody thing off, not oohing and aahing over it.

In fairness a bee is not a fly ! I wouldn't stress half as much over a bee on food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I thought it was a wasp that landed on KimJoy's bee?
    Wasps are fairly clean compared to flies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Deleted

Double post.... 12 minutes later! How strange, sorry.

Advertisement