Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Good first episode. I think star baker was well deserved and the right person went home too.w won't name names in case of spoilers.
    Agreed in both cases.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That dark girl with the dark hair flopping EVERYWHERE :eek:

That drives me mad. There's no way that her hairs won't get into her bakes and that's just gross.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That French girl is one to watch! And Briony.

I think so too, they both did very well last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I think Dan might be a dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

I quite enjoyed it, even though it bucked the usual trend of cake week being the first week! I think I might be the only person who complained about this, everyone else I spoke to was like "huh?", but as I bake along each year, I notice when they change the order :D
    Manon and Briony definitely ones to watch for me, I called star baker right while watching it at home, but was wrong about who I thought was gonna leave. Thought the artistic skills in some of the selfies were unreal, I would have trouble doing that.
    I made wagon wheels for this week, having already had it revealed to me in another article that that would be the technical challenge. They were a pox to make, and I hate tempering chocolate, but I survived!
    I saw from the preview that at least one of the cakes they're gonna do next week seems to involve chocolate work, since there were shards and collars aplenty, I guess my family are gonna be getting my signature traybake, lol. :silly:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

zenbuffy, do you bake in advance so you all have something to nibble on while watching? I tried to quickly find out what was being baked in episode 1 yesterday but couldn't find anything - so we had (shop bought) cream doughnuts :D

I do, yes :) I usually try to guess based on the preview at the end of the episode what the next week will be, and bake something on-theme for the week. I'll bake an exact thing that they are making if I can guess well enough, or just something that's the right kind of thing if I can't. (i.e. if they're doing something with choux pastry, I might not guess the exact construction of it, but I'll know it's choux and I'll make some choux stuff too). Over the years I've gotten quite good at guessing what it'll be because I've watched so much of it, so I'm much more familiar with all sorts of random obscure baking stuff. These are my wagon wheels from yesterday.

Haven't decided what manner of traybake the family are getting yet though!
    Edit: Just realised I can attach an image directly here now! Will try to make it not enormous, have to resize my giant camera image

jWTlfnD.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fixed your image for you. They look great!

Enjoyed the show last night. Loved the BTTF intro (to stop Prue tweeting the winner!)
    Manon is the one to watch. Baking since she was 3!

Mr E wrote: »
    Fixed your image for you. They look great!

Enjoyed the show last night. Loved the BTTF intro (to stop Prue tweeting the winner!)
    Manon is the one to watch. Baking since she was 3!
    Thank you! What size did you specify, so I know what's best for next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If that baking continues can we all come to your house next week Zenbuffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

zenbuffy wrote: »
    Thank you! What size did you specify, so I know what's best for next time?

I used 500px wide (let the height auto scale)

Set up an account on imgur.com to manage your images. You can even resize your images from there. They have a "BB Code" sharing option where you can just copy and paste the code directly here and it will work.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    If that baking continues can we all come to your house next week Zenbuffy?

Lol, you'll have to join a waiting list. Watching with me and my family is a very popular activity - I bake something every single week of bakeoff!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah great it's back! Also they have a vegan week this year which I am hyped for.

I'm going to be going for vegan afternoon tea in the shelbourne hotel and want to see what they can whip up in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm looking forward to vegan week and Swedish week.
    Week one was great! They're a likeable bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just catching up on extra slice now... Tom Allen is brilliant loved seeing him on the spin off had me in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I've recorded it tonight and watching it without the breaks , but is nobody watching tonight?

Watching it on +1. Nearly forgot about it

I was. Yay to star baker. I like him. Was very hard to pick between 3 tonight though. Could have been any one of them.
    Right person went too but the next closest is sailing very close to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

+1 on the star baker.. there are a few close to the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The star baker was spot on!

It slowly starts to appear who is insufferable and who's great craic.
    Looking forward to bread week!

LirW wrote: »
    The star baker was spot on!

It slowly starts to appear who is insufferable

Karen for me. Smug and cocky. Can't wait to see her gone :mad:

Karen for me. Smug and cocky. Can't wait to see her gone :mad:

I see she was going for the Beetlejuice look tonight

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I see she was going for the Beetlejuice look tonight

Haha! First thing I said to Mr Crumble "Why is Karen dressed like Beetlejuice? :D

CH3OH wrote: »
    I've recorded it tonight and watching it without the breaks , but is nobody watching tonight?

I always have to watch it after the fact - I'm in rehearsals for a show that happen at bake off time every week :( So unless I get a surprise week off, I'm always watching from 10.30 onwards, or a little earlier if I'm lucky!

I enjoyed this week, right person for star baker. though a pretty tough call and we were back and forth between 2 or 3 bakers in my house. Initially surprised about who went, but then I thought more about the brief for the showstopper, and it was clear that not fulfilling that was probably going to put someone in jeopardy!

I was a bit surprised by one of the bakers being let away with something during the showstopper! I don't want to say too much, for spoiler reasons, but I'll probably be more spoilery when I post again with my picture of my bake for the week (which is on my computer, but hasn't yet been processed!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was a bit surprised by one of the bakers being let away with something during the showstopper! I don't want to say too much, for spoiler reasons, but I'll probably be more spoilery when I post again with my picture of my bake for the week (which is on my computer, but hasn't yet been processed!).

Agree on this. I thought it was effectively cheating by her.

Oooh. I watched it all and I still can't remember who/what you are talking about :D

I enjoyed last night's, gran still giving out about Noel's hair - his hair cut is awful apparently but still better than last year's long hair, lol. I can't say I disagree. I am really liking a few of them now that we're getting to know them a bit better, Kim-Joy, Manon, Rahul and Antony are certainly my favourites to watch. I was delighted for Rahul getting a handshake from Paul last night :)

Do we have any sort of agreed on spoiler threshold here? Don't want to spoil things, but also want to discuss things!

Do we have any sort of agreed on spoiler threshold here? Don't want to spoil things, but also want to discuss things!

I usually stay away from the thread until I ahve seen the episode, I assume most do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

miamee wrote: »
    I usually stay away from the thread until I have seen the episode, I assume most do the same?

Yeah I would think day after is ok to discuss, maybe thread title should be updated to make it clear so people don't complain.
    I assume the cheating is referring to
    The acetate being left on Manon's cake which meant the chocolate had more time to set, Paul did comment on it alright but yeah thought was bit cheeky

Advertisement