Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In fairness a bee is not a fly ! I wouldn't stress half as much over a bee on food

The bee was the fondant decoration. The fly was the living thing crawling all over it.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I thought it was a wasp that landed on KimJoy's bee?
    Wasps are fairly clean compared to flies

Fly/wasp/bee..... I wouldn't be diving into anything that any of them had been crawling on, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The bee was the fondant decoration. The fly was the living thing crawling all over it.

Fly/wasp/bee..... I wouldn't be diving into anything that any of them had been crawling on, tbh.

No , it wasn't a fly it had stripes ! Couldn't swear if it was a wasp or a bee but it wasn't a fly .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It wasn’t a fly it was a wasp that was crawling on the fondant bee. That is why they were joking about the wasp being attracted to the fondant bee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anyone on Instagram Jon is out with the rest of them now (jon_bakes_hawaiian) Kim Joy must be there somewhere because her boyfriend is. Briony, Anthony, Imelda, Manon, Rahul, Luke and . . . . . Dan!
    Dan is sitting at the end of the table and Jon & Luke are taking the piss right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

No , it wasn't a fly it had stripes ! Couldn't swear if it was a wasp or a bee but it wasn't a fly .

It was a fly, an Oirish fly........ But in typical Irish fashion,he wore his Kilkenny GAA shirt over for the big day out in the tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

It wasn’t a fly it was a wasp that was crawling on the fondant bee. That is why they were joking about the wasp being attracted to the fondant bee.

It was a hoverfly you can see it here

Screen-Shot-2018-10-31-at-11.12.45-1024x573.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just caught up on the final. What a load of crud, as soon as they introduced the open fire aspect I thought feck this. All three showstoppers looked like turds. And to top it off that moany sod won.

This series was poor, the two hosts annoying. Caught up tonight on the last three episodes, says it all. Will not watch next time.

Unless Ruby is back mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »
    Rahul has got through the last 2 weeks based on his previous performances.

But I think his race is run. Ruby coming on strong at exactly the right time.

Somebody must have hacked my account !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ruby wins, I think!

Also, Rube’s whole family was gorgeous! Did you see her mother? Good genes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Also, Rube’s whole family was gorgeous! Did you see her mother? Good genes there.

We all know about Ruby's good genes.

Her blue jeans,black jeans,ripped jeans....

Sure the camera man was obsessed with her arse everytime she opened the oven door!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Uncharted wrote: »
    We all know about Ruby's good genes.

Her blue jeans,black jeans,ripped jeans....

Sure the camera man was obsessed with her arse everytime she opened the oven door!

:)

But only after Manon's even peachier arse left the show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm not surprised Rahul won based on how his final baking turned out. The girls made a good effort but he was a bit more consistent but then again he got extra time due to cracked glass container. Must have been very warm!! May have given him a better lead yet Paul said winner be decided by how the baking went. Ruby coped well under pressure. They all did well to get to the final though all the same.

Rahul is hard work to interview !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

starlit wrote: »
    I'm not surprised Rahul won based on how his final baking turned out. The girls made a good effort but he was a bit more consistent but then again he got extra time due to cracked glass container. Must have been very warm!! May have given him a better lead yet Paul said winner be decided by how the baking went. Ruby coped well under pressure. They all did well to get to the final though all the same.

It was mentioned during the show that he was given exactly the amount of 'extra' time that he lost while the broken glass was being cleaned up and replacement bowls and ingredients etc brought in for him. He still had to redo most of what he had done before the glass container exploded, as a lot of what he had already made had to be thrown out because of the risk of glass shards being in the food.
    I really don't think this put him at any advantage, and there was no evidence of him being given any kind of sympathy vote - in fact, I seem to remember Paul making some scathing remark about him taking a while to get back on track following the incident?

I thought it was a disappointing final considering the high standard of bakes throughout the rest of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Rahul is hard work to interview !

I thought he was ok.

Watching An Extra Slice now - was Noel at the sweet sherry before filming started??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

So I actually managed to watch the final on the same evening it aired, but because I've been doing a show this week, I haven't had a chance to really think (or write) about it til now. 
    I have been a big fan of KimJoy since episode 1, as I thought her bakes were almost always very lovely. She has a consistent, recognisable style, and I liked it. I was disappointed she didn't win, but I accept that it's an edited show and we only see snippets. Maybe there was some other stuff that tipped them more towards Rahul. I don't share the hate for Rahul that I've seen in lots of places online - I do think he genuinely doesn't think that much of himself, and I know that can be hard to overcome (as I've said before here).

The episode itself though, independent of the bakers, I thought was really poor. The choice of technical was rubbish, imo - I know they like to try and shoot for obscure technical challenges that none of the bakers will have seen, but this was a bridge to far for me. How could anyone hope to succeed at that challenge? The point of the technicals is (in my understanding) that you might not have baked the thing in question every before, but that you should draw on your depth of baking knowledge in general to help you out, so you know how biscuits are baked, for example, and you can try and apply what you know to this obscure technical biscuit. No one will be able to apply regular baking knowledge to heating a stone over an open fire - that's beyond obscure. It's no wonder they were all rubbish at it, sure they had nothing to go on. Stupid stupid challenge.

I also was disappointed by the showstoppers. I don't know whether it was the challenge brief itself, or just the day that was in it, but I felt like all the final bakes were very lacklustre, and it annoyed me, since all three finalists had produced really lovely bakes at one time or another in the preceding weeks. I didn't see the finesse or creativity that I would have associated with all of them represented much by any of them. It was a real shame. The technical and the signature didn't really give them a chance to shine, and this was their last chance to shine.

I think they could do with dialling back the weirdness of the technical challenges a little. I have no problem with things like Vegan week, or Free-from week with things like gluten free bakes - we're a big wide world with lots of dietary preferences and allergies and whatnot, and I think it's great to see those bakes become a bit more mainstream, to see people learn about alternatives, to show people that alternative baking doesn't have to be disappointing or lacking in taste, decoration, etc. But I do feel like they just tipped over the edge a bit with the technical stuff this year, and could do with pulling it back a little.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty disappointing final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Tom Allen made nearly ruined the Extra Slice for me. I started fastforwarding through the parts he was on. I’m all for extending the run time, just give that extra time to Jo. She’s aces. I didn’t mind Tom as a panellist, I just thought he was overbearing in every show this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That's his act?
    I found him funny anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Addle wrote: »
    That's his act?
    I found him funny anyways.

That is his act but, IMO, his act doesn’t suit Extra Slice. It’s the first year I haven’t watched it and he’s the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I skipped the bit with him in the audience every time. I could only take him in small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Liam Charles from last year's series has his own baking show starting next Monday on Channel 4.

https://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/issue/latest//liam-bakes

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Thought that might happen. He has everything going for him - young, talented, outgoing, quite likable and Paul seemed to really take to him. I remember watching the banter between them thinking I'd be very surprised if Paul didn't take him under his wing a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Liam Charles from last year's series has his own baking show starting next Monday on Channel 4.

https://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/issue/latest//liam-bakes
    Wasn't he one of the hosts of the Professional Bake Off this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Yes along with Tom Allen....who was a lot less caustic than his schtick on extra slice...which tbh started wearing a bit thin (and I actually really like him as a comedian and his podcast is very good).

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

yes , and he was awful on it .So stilted and nervous I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Rahul was on the This Morning show today and he seemed very calm. He did very well with his baking. The hosts enjoyed his baking. I say he could start his own baking show! The Extra slice show is good, I like watching it can be funny and is nice that they interview those that left. Interesting to see others baking! I look forward to the Christmas version of the British Bake Off this year if they have it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I recommend that the final showstopper of each series should be a wedding cake. Anyone agree? If not, other suggestions?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I recommend that the final showstopper of each series should be a wedding cake. Anyone agree? If not, other suggestions?
    I agree - something requiring that level of design, precision, skill, and just plain beauty (even if that is in the eye of the beholder).

But you need to communicate that to the producers. I tweeted my dissatisfaction with this year's final to @BritishBakeOff, haven't had a response but it seemed like the most likely way of them actually seeing my complaint.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Yes , absolutely some sort of occasion cake .One that shows precision and skill and not a random scene that looked awful to eat .

Advertisement