Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Didn't they have an occasion cake on vegan week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

They had wedding cake as the showstopper the year Ruby was in the final. From what I remember they weren’t that great. Some posters commented that 5 hours wasn’t long enough for make and decorate a wedding cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I think the final showstopper should just at the very least be an actual thing people bake. Like, nobody wakes up and says "ya know what? I'm gonna make a landscape for the party tonight". They mightmake a whole display of decorative looking breads for a big buffet though, or a platter of 8 different petit fours, or 12 miniature wedding cakes, or a huge celebration cake for a charity event, or a biscuit statue of a medal winning athlete or so on and so forth.

But an imaginary landscape?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I think the final showstopper should just at the very least be an actual thing people bake. Like, nobody wakes up and says "ya know what? I'm gonna make a landscape for the party tonight". They mightmake a whole display of decorative looking breads for a big buffet though, or a platter of 8 different petit fours, or 12 miniature wedding cakes, or a huge celebration cake for a charity event, or a biscuit statue of a medal winning athlete or so on and so forth.

But an imaginary landscape?!

I actually thought all 3 final showstoppers looked rotten! Not tempting at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I think I said it before, but the Great Australian Bake Off* are a pretty good match for the feel of the GBBO when it was BBC - the baker's skills are more like a normal person's, not like the later seasons of GBBO where it kind of feels like the contestants have been training specifically to appear on the show.

Worth a look for anyone who needs a bake-off fix anyway :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6vu4ph

*Seasons 2 and 3 - season 1 has a totally different presenting and judging team and is pretty terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've rewatched a few episodes from the first series of Bake Off on Netflix recently and it's amazing how the standard of baking has come on since then, I think having it on tv has spurred people on to learn more or try more things (or maybe I am being harsh on the very first contestants!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

miamee wrote: »
    I've rewatched a few episodes from the first series of Bake Off on Netflix recently and it's amazing how the standard of baking has come on since then, I think having it on tv has spurred people on to learn more or try more things (or maybe I am being harsh on the very first contestants!)

Yes, who the heck would have made meringue with aguafaba on the first episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just watched the first episode of Liam Bakes.
    The cakes were good, the eclairs looked amazing but Liam himself just annoyed me. It was almost like he was trying to be cool, and trying way too hard.
    I'll watch the second episode before I decide if I'll keep going with it or delete the series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That's exactly how I felt about Liam's show!
    His mate dumping the icing sugar into the bowl (after being asked to sieve it) and Liam cracking up laughing made me roll my eyes to be honest
    You'd wonder who the target audience is for his show really. I'm not convinced it's me, and then I see he's making rhubarb and custard cake or cheesecake next week and think yeah, one more chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I thought Liam was trying to be the new Jamie to be honest. It's certainly not aimed at folk like me either. I will watch it but its soooo cool and trendy, a lot of younger bakers might like the programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone watching the Christmas specials?

I found GBBO: Festive on the C4 player, just watching it now. Liam, Jane, Andrew and Flo from 2017 and 2016 in it, not sure when it was actually broadcast.

There's a New Year's one on at 7.40pm tonight - Kate, Tamal, Candice and Steven (can't remember any of them from the names except Candice!)

I've no idea when it was filmed, but there's loads of artificial snow and poor Prue was interviewed wrapped up in a woolly coat and scarf and looked fit to expire - it's been a very mild winter to pull off a "wintry" special :D

I saw the one with Liam, Jane et al. I felt it was a bit flat.
    I never remember Liam being annoying but on this, and on the couple of episodes of his series that I watched, I found him insufferable!
    Looking forward to tonight's one (whenever I get round to watching it) - I quite liked Candice and I think I liked Kate (wasn't she the little curly haired lady?) and Stephen was fun to watch - very stressy! I don't remember Tamal but I'm sure I will as soon as I see him!

Yeah, I'm only halfway through the technical at the moment (and what a technical!! :eek:) but most of Liam's appeal in the original series was his naivete and innocence - he's definitely lost those! I'm not finding him insufferable, but then I haven't seen anything of him since his GBBO series, so haven't been overexposed. But he's not the same wide-eyed youngfella for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

dee_mc wrote: »
    I saw the one with Liam, Jane et al. I felt it was a bit flat.
    I never remember Liam being annoying but on this, and on the couple of episodes of his series that I watched, I found him insufferable!
    Looking forward to tonight's one (whenever I get round to watching it) - I quite liked Candice and I think I liked Kate (wasn't she the little curly haired lady?) and Stephen was fun to watch - very stressy! I don't remember Tamal but I'm sure I will as soon as I see him!
    Liam has just got way too big for his boots and it shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Tuning into tonight's show now. I liked Kate the year she appeared, Candice I could take or leave, Stephen I didn't like at all and I loved Tamal. I really thought he should have won it that year instead of Nadiya, so Kate or Tamal tonight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Candice is such an attention seeker .

Watched both shows one after the other. The second one was far more entertaining!

I'm mixing Stephen up with the guy this year who was a bit of a diva I think. Himself and Kate (I didn't watch her series, but she comes across as just lovely) were streets ahead of the other two.

And yes, Candice is far too fond of herself and her showstopper was actually kinda crap, even the tailor's dummy (don't know him either) was better.

Stephen's showstopper was amazing, and apparently tasted amazing as well - so well deserved winner there. Although Kate's piping work was incredible!

In the stollen round, she seemed to steal a march on the lot of them by just making hers smaller, therefore needing less baking time - given they were all giving out about the lack of proving time, and then Paul was busy giving out about the lack of baking time, that seemed like a bit of a gimme!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Candice is such an attention seeker .
    Painful, her little comments, so cocky, and the face pulling eugh.
    I was delighted to see Stephen and Kate do so well, I always liked them and both there show stoppers were excellent. Tamal came across as lovely as per usual.
    This show was a lot more fun than the last Christmas one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aw, I thought Kate might just have edged it but not to be :(

Delighted to see Stephen win! Would've been very happy for Kate too, she's great.
    Stephen would've been a worthy winner his year though - I think I remember it seeming like a close result in the final that time too.
    Candice obviously gets off on the whole fake celebrity thing - I think she sold her wedding photos to OK magazine too? Classy. Having said that, I quite liked her as a contestant originally - I suppose she just let the attention get to her head.
    I thought Tamal's showstopper was cool - Paul's comments to him were a bit mean, he didn't even commend him on the neatness of his fondant work or his layers, which were immaculate. But that's Paul for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Just been watching Celebrity Mastermind recorded on Friday - Candice won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

I just recently saw GBBO 2018. I thought Rahul got a little favouritism throughout. I think when Dan was voted off, he had been very good but had one bad day. But when Rahul had a bad day he was given leeway.

Then at the end of the semifinal show, in the 'coming up on next show' highlight, I thought they gave away the result indirectly. Anyone else find this? When they showed the moment before announcement of winner and Ruby was saying "breathe!".

It hinted too much that Rahul was the winner, as as negative as he is he wouldn't be struggling for breath if he had a bad day...and if Ruby performed well, she wouldn't have been worried.

Advertisement