Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Awww, I'm loving John - between being a blood biker and his kids picking his Hawaiian shirts for him - I'm all <3<3

Sooooo..... idiotic question of the week from a non-baker to all you baking afficionados.....

Briony's chocolate cake came out underbaked (not by much, to my - admittedly uneducated - eye). Could she not have put the layers back together again and whacked it back in the oven for another 5/10 mins??? Instead of starting all over again (which I'm still deeply suspcious of!)

Please don't have me banned from the thread for that question :D

I thought KimJoy's cat decoration on the showstopper was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sooooo..... idiotic question of the week from a non-baker to all you baking afficionados.....

Briony's chocolate cake came out underbaked (not by much, to my - admittedly uneducated - eye). Could she not have put the layers back together again and whacked it back in the oven for another 5/10 mins???  Instead of starting all over again (which I'm still deeply suspcious of!)

Please don't have me banned from the thread for that question :D

It would depend on how long the cake had been out of the oven, and how much time she had left. Because of editing, that's difficult to tell.

Arguably, if the cake was still pretty hot and the oven was also hot (and not occupied), yes, she could have chanced her arm and bunged it back in for another 5-10 minutes. You run the risk of drying out the cooked parts, however, so it's not a 100% perfect recovery. If it had been longer, and the cake was warm, you could also take a chance on a lower oven temp for longer, allowing you to cook the middle without overcooking the outsides. 
    It's possible that the oven already had other stuff in it though, or that she just didn't think of it at the time. Or that the bake in general had gone wrong (under/over-mixing, etc.) and wasn't salvageable. Often that happens if you cook at too high a temperature - the outside will catch and start to burn, the inside won't be done. With cake, low and slow is a good way to go (within reason!), but obviously, I'm not usually under the same time constraints as the contestants are when they are baking!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Is it bread week this week? Will have to find some nice bread for later...

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Is it bread week this week? Will have to find some nice bread for later...
    Yup. Based on the preview last week, I think they're probably making signature
    chelsea buns
    , and maybe
    naan
    for the technical. I don't remember what the showstopper was though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

There's something about Rahul I don't like

I'm rapidly going off Manon and Karen. But loving Jon and Dan more and more by the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'm rapidly going off Manon and Karen. But loving Jon and Dan more and more by the minute!

I thought Manon comes across a bit sly

God, I love garlic naan......

• Advertisement

I think (and I suspect Prue definitely thinks) that Rahul doth protest too much

Anyone ever heard of this yoke before??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And so do I !

Anyone ever heard of this yoke before??

Yes . I saw it in Croatia in a restaurant where a wedding was taking place !

AAAAAAARGH!!!

The internet just sat down on me :mad:

Did Rahul get a handshake??

AAAAAAARGH!!!

The internet just sat down on me :mad:

Did Rahul get a handshake??

No , no handshakes

Just missed a couple of judgings.

Briony looks like she'll be crying again soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Fairly crap standard.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No , no handshakes

I'd be a bit peeved if f i were him. Paul raving about his bread and calling him a little genius.... but no handshake?

Rahul always looks like he will be shot at dawn if his cake is not right

• Advertisement

Noel looks like a skinny bumble bee tonight

Flipping internet gone on me again.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait till I get home to find out the results :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

EPAndlee wrote: »
    There's something about Rahul I don't like

Aw, I love Rahul. I'd love to see him in the final. Ruby is really starting to annoy me. She's very cocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Reminds me of Ruby Tandoh a bit with his slightly overdone self-deprecation.

I hope to never hear the word ‘korovai’ again!

Well thank god that's over. I am not a friend of bread, so bread week is always very fraught for me :silly:
    I thought that most of the showstoppers were pretty underwhelming, if I'm honest. And a lot of them seemed kinda.... burnt. Bit of a weaker selection overall (not that I could do much better myself, of course). I called star baker while watching, but couldn't tell who was going to go home. 
    I made chelsea buns, because I didn't want to make naan, and I couldn't figure out what the showstopper was. I don't like raisins and currants though, and since most recipes suggested those, I made them without. Probably makes them not proper chelsea buns, but whatever, Paul isn't in my house poking my dough, and my family liked them a lot :D
    Cinnamon cream cheese chelsea buns :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=461064
    As a bonus, because I was feeling extra Irish Countrywomen Association last night, I made butter, and then saved the buttermilk from making the butter, and used that to make some soda bread. So in addition to my chelsea buns, we also ate fresh soda bread with homemade sea salted butter last night too. I don't have a photo of that yet, I'll share as soon as it's off the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't think much of Ruby's, obviously we can't taste it but still it didn't look great to me, far less effort to do some random swishes that the detailed piping Rahul did.

It also really annoys me that they don't air condition the tent, every year it happens that it gets too hot which makes it harder. I nearly think they don't use ac on purpose so it will be hot to make it more of "challenge" Bo**icks to that, that's not a proper challenge of baking skills it ends up leaving more to luck, its not hard to ac a tent, do that and make it fair for everyone, but no, then we wouldn't have the same drama of cake disasters, whats next blindfold week, one handed week, just so we can see disaster cakes, sorry rant over.

Watched some of the early series on Netflix and they didn't e en have sides on the tent, everyone's hair was blowing in the breeze!

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Watched some of the early series on Netflix and they didn't e en have sides on the tent, everyone's hair was blowing in the breeze!
    I thought there weren't sides on the tent these days either, except for when it's pissing rain? They just seem to manage to time the filming during the biggest heatwave of the year every time, when there's no wind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I thought there weren't sides on the tent these days either, except for when it's pissing rain? They just seem to manage to time the filming during the biggest heatwave of the year every time, when there's no wind!

Don't know, it's really obvious in the older episodes, there is just a white picket fence. I've never noticed there being no sides in the newer series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Poochie05 wrote:
    Don't know, it's really obvious in the older episodes, there is just a white picket fence. I've never noticed there being no sides in the newer series

And passers by stopping to look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Aw I love Rahul. I genuinely think he's shy. Also love Briony (but stop crying constantly... reminds me of Flora who drove me mad) and Kim Joy.
    Anthony - so smiley.
    Dan: in it to win it. Knows how to play the camera and a consistent baker.
    Terri had a good week.
    Ruby , Karen and Manon set my teeth on edge

Advertisement