Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

I don't like Rahul. I just find him a little too.. soft! But I really can't stand Karen. Have to admit though I like rooting for someone to get kicked off as much as I like rooting for someone to win! The minute Karen opened them crisps in the first episode I started praying for her downfall!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This kinda happens every year, but I don't dislike any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

attachment.php?attachmentid=461177
    My promised second bake. I don't know what came over me, but I just had a notion on Tuesday, so went home after work and whipped this up before heading out. Made some butter, then used the buttermilk from that process to make this soda bread. So then we had bread and butter along with our chelsea buns :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don't like Rahul. I just find him a little too.. soft! But I really can't stand Karen. Have to admit though I like rooting for someone to get kicked off as much as I like rooting for someone to win! The minute Karen opened them crisps in the first episode I started praying for her downfall!! :D

Karen is trying waaaaay too hard to be quirky. And because there are other naturally quirky contestants, it’s really obvious. The beret is the hallmark of the tryhard quirk. :D

Paul definitely has a soft spot for Ruby. He was talking like Terry and John were in danger of going despite them having two good challenges before the showstopper, yet talked like Ruby was safe despite only her showstopper being good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The beret is the hallmark of the tryhard quirk.
    :D:D

• Advertisement

Karen is trying waaaaay too hard to be quirky. And because there are other naturally quirky contestants, it’s really obvious. The beret is the hallmark of the tryhard quirk. :D

Oh yeah there was no changing my mind on her once I saw that beret!

I actually don't dislike Ruby but I wouldn't go so far as to say I like her. I like Briony. I'm not sure I love anyone yet.

Oh yeah there was no changing my mind on her once I saw that beret!

I actually don't dislike Ruby but I wouldn't go so far as to say I like her. I like Briony. I'm not sure I love anyone yet.

I love Briony and was so afraid she was going to go.

Ruby is fine but Paul’s weakness for a pretty face is tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I love Briony and was so afraid she was going to go.

Ruby is fine but Paul’s weakness for a pretty face is tiresome.

I must admit, I have the same weakness. She could burn my buns and I wouldn't complain.

If Rahul gets his confidence up he could be a star. He's obviously a fantastic baker but seems shocked and embarrassed every time he gets a good review.

As someone who has been a lonely immigrant at one point in my life, I got a bit tearful at them saying that Rahul bakes to make friends. Awwwww. He comes across a bit fragile and lonely. I’ve been there, Rahul, I get it!

.red. wrote: »
    I must admit, I have the same weakness. She could burn my buns and I wouldn't complain.

If Rahul gets his confidence up he could be a star. He's obviously a fantastic baker but seems shocked and embarrassed every time he gets a good review.

Ha, yes, Ruby was noted by my hubs too! :D

She’s very openly competitive but I don’t mind that. They’re ALL competitive but some hide it well. I kinda like openly competitive folk because I’m one of them.

• Advertisement

My mum thinks Ruby looks a bit like an Indian Sandra Bullock. I can see it. She's beautiful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ha, yes, Ruby was noted by my hubs too! :D

She’s very openly competitive but I don’t mind that. They’re ALL competitive but some hide it well. I kinda like openly competitive folk because I’m one of them.

Don't mind her being competitive as you can see she helps the other bakes when they need it at the end, seems nice and just a bit easily shocked.

Only catching up now!

Forgot how much I love Noel and sandie!
    Paul is grating more on me this year than others for some reason

I love briony and Jon,
    Kim joy is adorable!
    The jury is out on Ruhul for me...I’m going to give it another episode or two before I make a decision! Sorry to see Anthony go this week, his smiling was infectious.
    Can’t stand manon, just something about her.

Zenbuffy your bakes look fab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Right person got star baker, and who to send home was the right decision for me.

Adored KimJoy's showstopper for cuteness factor (and where does she even come up with the ideas?!)
    Manon's showstopper was super sophisticated and just looked soooo professional.

Didn't think any of them produced particularly great roulades, which was surprising to me as on BBC it was kind of a staple "if you can't do this.." type task

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Right person got star baker, and who to send home was the right decision for me.

I knew straight away who was going to be sent home tonight.
    I didn't agree with tonight's star baker. I thought someone else would dance their way to it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just catching up now.

Meringue roulade sounds like an absolute nightmare!

First time that Kim Joy's bake hasn't included cats somewhere?

Manon's almondy cherries sound divine. Her plait is fairly nifty as well, would love to know how to do that :D

God, I just want to put a bomb under Rahul.

Yayy, go Dan!! You really get the impression everyone is rooting for him to just smash it one day. Hopefully today is that day! (and the final, obv)

and yayy for Jon as well! Delighted for the two of them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It seemed to be very, very close between the top two tonight, but I was happy with all the decisions. :)

WTF is blancmange (sp???)??? Guess I'm about to find out...... And what are those biscuits they wanted with it???

Jeepers, Karen was a child in the 70's? So was I :eek: I'd assumed she was about 20 years older than me (ok, maybe 15). Now I feel OLD :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It took me a while to warm to her but I love every creative choice Kim Joy makes. Those turtles, I was delighted by them.

John was my favourite tonight . When he was helping Ruby it just showed what an absolute gent he is!

Karen is my burnt biscuit of the batch. She annoys me and I can't figure out why. I hope she goes next.

Ill be glad to see what Terry pulls out of the bag next week. Love his ambitious designs even if they leave my heart in my throat with panic 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Rahul seems genuinely scared of Paul. He's just shaking uncontrollably when Paul just looks at him. I appreciate that man's creativity though, he's really pushing it. I'm just wondering if his nerves will hold him back later on in the competition?

• Advertisement

Prue "Neither Paul nor I are very subtle"

Understatement of the week :D

Oh my, Kim Joy's showstopper sounds a-maz-ing!!!

If she can pull that off to even close to the way she described it, she'll have definitely saved herself. (she sounded very, very worried earlier!)

Oh my fingers are absolutely itching to comment on the showstopper round, but I'm afraid of posting spoilers!

Did anyone else spot the continuity error, when Rahul was going back to his bench after presenting his showstopper they showed a snip of all the others whooping - but it was from the technical round when they're all lined up on stools for the judging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh my fingers are absolutely itching to comment on the showstopper round, but I'm afraid of posting spoilers!

Did anyone else spot the continuity error, when Rahul was going back to his bench after presenting his showstopper they showed a snip of all the others whooping - but it was from the technical round when they're all lined up on stools for the judging!

Yeah saw that but didn't want to rewind in case it was a spoiler!

Am I the only one who was absolutely certain that Kim Joy wasn't going after day 1? I just couldn't see them getting rid of her.

Just catching up now.

Meringue roulade sounds like an absolute nightmare!

First time that Kim Joy's bake hasn't included cats somewhere?

Manon's almondy cherries sound divine. Her plait is fairly nifty as well, would love to know how to do that :D

God, I just want to put a bomb under Rahul.

Yayy, go Dan!! You really get the impression everyone is rooting for him to just smash it one day. Hopefully today is that day! (and the final, obv)

and yayy for Jon as well! Delighted for the two of them!

Only two of her bakes have had cat decorations. I was glad she moved away from Japanese flavours this week. She was beginning to seem a bit limited. Loved her showstopper - so cute.

I knew straight away who was going to be sent home tonight.
    I didn't agree with tonight's star baker. I thought someone else would dance their way to it tonight.
    Aha, now I get what you meant! And yes, it must have been close. I didn't disagree, but either would have been right imo.

It looked to be from the end when they are announcing the winners and losers.

Wasn’t keen on Prue’s snide comment to Ruby: “You do know what a sphere looks like?”. What was she supposed to do since it cracked? I thought she did quite well to have anything to present!

I don’t like Dan - he’s very sneery. Really wanted Jon to win Star Baker but grudgingly admit that Dan deserved it.

Once I heard Terry was out for the week, I knew nobody would go.

I think they are a really talented bunch this year. The standard is very high.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Am I the only one who was absolutely certain that Kim Joy wasn't going after day 1? I just couldn't see them getting rid of her.

I wish they would, she bugs the hell out of me. I can't stand people who so obviously try to be weird and "kooky". She can take Karen with her too, she's just a pain in the arse, and I'm really starting to tire of Rahul's schtick. You're clearly one of the best bakers in the tent man, knock it off with the over the top false modesty and looking like you're going to sh*t yourself any time someone speaks to you.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    I wish they would, she bugs the hell out of me. I can't stand people who so obviously try to be weird and "kooky". She can take Karen with her too, she's just a pain in the arse, and I'm really starting to tire of Rahul's schtick. You're clearly one of the best bakers in the tent man, knock it off with the over the top false modesty and looking like you're going to sh*t yourself any time someone speaks to you.

Haha! Woah tell us what you really think! I actually mostly agree with you though. I do think Kim joy is trying very hard to be kooky. Her eyeshadow drives me a bit mad! :D But I have to admit her showstopper today was amazing. I'd gobble that right up!

Karen truly is a pain. I was chanting "curtains for Karen!" tonight after she commented that it might be curtains for her. I was disappointed she didn't go but I think they made the right decision with Terry gone. Karens showstopper, admittedly , looked pretty good though and I thought the peep holes were a great idea.

I am starting to think Rahul is playing up the innocent, nervous thing and it's a bit tiring. I'd like to see his character (because it feels like a character) grow in confidence because he's a great Baker.

I loved Jon tonight! He's really growing on me. I loved his flavours, his kindness helping Ruby and his jokey tutu. I was hoping he'd get star baker because I'm not mad about Dan either.

I think overall they aren't as likeable a bunch this year. For me Briony, Ruby and Jon are probably my favourites.

Advertisement