Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They seem more openly competitive or something, it’s a less cuddly atmosphere. One other reality TV flourish I’ve noticed that I’m convinced didn’t happen on the Beeb is focusing on the faces of rival bakers during judgings. Paul hams it up a bit too much these days too, IMO. It’s only cake, Paul!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Agree that Paul hamming it. Also think that there was a better showstopper "en pointe" that should have earned a star baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I may be cynical but I wonder if Rahul will suddenly flourish and gain confidence and become a smiley happy confident baker ! And will have a " journey " of self discovery .

They seem more openly competitive or something, it’s a less cuddly atmosphere. One other reality TV flourish I’ve noticed that I’m convinced didn’t happen on the Beeb is focusing on the faces of rival bakers during judgings. Paul hams it up a bit too much these days too, IMO. It’s only cake, Paul!

Yes, I've noticed that. They show someone struggling and then someone else doing a little smirk or something. I don't trust it though. That clip could have been from a different moment and they just snip it in there to create drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Well, that was quite an episode!

I actually am very fond of meringue roulade and I make it quite often, as it's a popular treat for my family and friends, so I was very happy with it coming up as a signature challenge, because I already have a "signature" roulade, ha!

I also suspected that no one would go since Terry was missing, it will be interesting to see when they drop that double elimination in the future. I expect it will have to be sooner rather than later because usually as the weeks go on, the standard just gets higher and higher, and it often comes down to tiny nitpicking things to choose who is going home (leaving aside the occasional complete disaster). I was disappointed that Jon didn't get star baker, as I thought the decoration on Dan's peach was a bit... meh. But both did so well this week, I was really impressed with them.

Thought Manon's showstopper was absolutely beautiful, and I squealed out loud at the ridiculous adorable turtles from Kim Joy.

On a personal note, as a baker myself, I just want to comment on the idea that Rahul is being falsely modest. It's worth remembering that this whole thing takes place every weekend over the course of about 2.5 months, with no breaks. Which means that, overall, the bakers actually don't have that much time to grow or reinvent themselves as a person. It took me far, far longer than 2.5 months to learn to say "thank you" or smile, or just nod and agree, when someone told me that something I baked was great. For years, I would have brushed it off, told them it was "nothing", pointed out flaws that made it not that good in my opinion, etc. Sometimes I even catch myself still doing this with my family, apologising for something being "crap" before they've even put a bite in their mouths, even though I know that, if I took a step back and looked objectively, many of my bakes are beyond what a casual baker could achieve.

It is *hard* to try and break this habit if you have spent a lifetime downplaying your own achievements, and it is very very easy to start believing the voice in your head that points out every flaw instead of celebrating your success. So I'm perfectly willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to people who seem to doubt themselves, because I was there and sometimes still am there, despite all the baking I do!

Anyway, moving on from the soul-baring, here's this week's bake. Chocolate raspberry meringue roulade.
    The toppings that go on the meringue before rolling, in order, are nutella, raspberry jam, chopped hazelnuts, chopped raspberries, and cocoa cream. The meringue was sprinkled with chopped hazelnuts before baking so that they toasted as it baked also.

attachment.php?attachmentid=461627
    Photo of the inside to capture my attempt at a swirl!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=461628

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I missed the start, did they say what happened to Terry? I presume he was ill and it sounds like he'll be back next week. I thought some of the showstoppers looked amazing, Kim Joy's and Rahul's in particular though I thought from watching him make it at the start that it wasn't going to work too well. He pulled it off. Getting a bit sick of seeing him with the horrified look and hands up to his face too, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yes, they said Terry was ill, but would be back next week and the trailer for next weeks episode showed him there.

I like Rahul. I think he's genuine to be honest. He looked like he was going to cry last night when he was presenting his showstopper. I don't think it's all an act. I think he's very hard on himself and maybe lacks confidence a bit. I hope he doesn't peak too soon though with too many star bakes, like Richard did a few years back. I still think he was robbed that year. Luis was amazing too and I would have found it VERY difficult to choose between them, but Nancy was NOT a deserved winner.

I think it will be a male winner this year. There hasn't been one since John back in 2012. Also, I think the men are stronger than the women this year.

Dan is starting to annoy me though. Coming across as a bit bitchy I thought last night and a bit too smug.

Jon is really growing on me. He came across really well last night. Seems a nice guy.

I'm not really warming to any of the women to be honest. Ruby is a bit of a drama queen. I liked Manon's lipstick last night! Not sure what to make of Briony or Kim Joy, though I did think KJ's showstopper last night was very good. I HATE Karen, since the first night. She's a mouthy smart arse. I keep hoping every week that she'll be sent home. Can't wait to see the back of her.

Does anyone else always find every year that there's one you really can't warm to? Last year for me it was Yan. This year it's definitely Karen.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭LushiousLips

I really do wish the woman would tie back their hair.

Dan went on a bit of a Twitter rampage last night in the wee small hours, having a go at anyone who tweeted negatively about him! :o

Dan went on a bit of a Twitter rampage last night in the wee small hours, having a go at anyone who tweeted negatively about him! :o

Just went on for a look but couldn't see anything. Has he deleted it all again?

• Advertisement

Just went on for a look but couldn't see anything. Has he deleted it all again?

Definitely not deleted, he was hard at it again today! :o I thought vino was probably involved but guess not. If you go to the ‘Tweets and Replies’ section of his profile, you should see ‘em.

Dan, probably every contestant has the odd bad tweet written about them. You need a thicker skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What did Dan do that people didn't like?

What did Dan do that people didn't like?

The edit makes him appear unhappy for other people’s success and not very gracious. To me anyway.

I hope Terry is okay and can return. I think he can sometimes be weak but is one of the more creative bakers.

I love Jon. I actually think I have a small crush on him. He’s an average-looking guy but is one of those people whose personality makes them attractive.

Definitely not deleted, he was hard at it again today! :o I thought vino was probably involved but guess not. If you go to the ‘Tweets and Replies’ section of his profile, you should see ‘em.

Ooh, I've just looked under the 'and replies' bit now. Meeeooow! :eek: He's coming across as a complete d***head (am I allowed to say that here?)
    I REALLY have no time for him now.

Ooh, I've just looked under the 'and replies' bit now. Meeeooow! :eek: He's coming across as a complete d***head (am I allowed to say that here?)
    I REALLY have no time for him now.

And look, I get that it must be really hard to read strangers writing sh1tty things about you based on an edited TV show but I’m a big believer in taking the high road. You look more dignified that way. Probably all the contestants have received a bit of negative commentary. One thing I’d ask myself before applying for this or any TV show is “Am I thick-skinned enough?”. It’s an essential. I think prospective contestants should be given a session with a psychologist to evaluate whether they are suited to all that attention and whether they can handle negative commentary. They go from obscurity to being pretty well known overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I just looked and can't see anything b8tchy?

I just looked and can't see anything b8tchy?

It’s in his replies to people in the Tweets and Replies tab but of course, people will have their own take on whether his replies to people are bitchy or not. I think he comes across hugely petty personally. Your mileage may vary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I always thought GBBO was one of the more genuine reality shows, so I would be very disappointed if they were skewing edits to paint someone in a particular light.
    I'd heard before that they tell contestants to just be the real you and it will come through, so with that in mind I really have not time for Dan.

I knew there wouldn't be anyone leaving either, first I had a hunch but then I noticed a mis-edit during Rahul's second presentation, as he was walking back it cut to the final scene at the end where they're all happy on the stools having heard the news.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I always thought GBBO was one of the more genuine reality shows, so I would be very disappointed if they were skewing edits to paint someone in a particular light.
    I'd heard before that they tell contestants to just be the real you and it will come through, so with that in mind I really have not time for Dan.

I knew there wouldn't be anyone leaving either, first I had a hunch but then I noticed a mis-edit during Rahul's second presentation, as he was walking back it cut to the final scene at the end where they're all happy on the stools having heard the news.

His churlish and petty Twitter rampage means he can’t fall back on the editing excuse anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I don’t like Dan - he’s very sneery. Really wanted Jon to win Star Baker but grudgingly admit that Dan deserved it.

My thoughts exactly. Had fingers crossed for Jon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

It's gas how people's favourites differ. I personally really like Dan and I'm not too keen on Jon! Just something about him...maybe it's the Hawaiian shirts!!:D

I'm slightly hesitant to say this, and I hope it's okay to say!!...I really like Rahul and I've noticed a good few posters here aren't mad about his manner etc. I wonder is he perhaps autistic (possibly aspergers) as he displays many common traits which would be associated with autism. I hope no one minds me saying that and I apologise if it causes any offence.... I just thought it might be something for those who think he is playing up to the coy/bashful persona to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't think Rahul is playing up his lack of confidence - he cringes with his entire being, and is the least natural 'performer' I can imagine. I genuinely believe he's a painfully shy, bashful, introverted young man who just happens to be an incredible baker. I haven't heard him say why he applied for GBBO, or what his thought process was?
    Maybe I'm just gullible but I feel that if he was putting on an act, there'd be a 'tell' of some kind. If he suddenly blossoms into a significantly more confident person as the weeks go by then I'll put my hands up and concede that he must be as good an actor as he is a baker :D I missed the fact that he has a PhD until I saw it mentioned in an article I read this evening - he's very accomplished.
    Not a mad fan of Manon as she comes across as very conceited.
    Ruby seems alright. Prue seems to have a bit of a problem with her - she's been rather bitchy to her a couple of times now.
    Can't hack yer one with the beret (Karen?) - she's one of those people who goes around screeching 'I'm mad, me!' to try to make themselves appear interesting, but there's nothing in particular to back it up. She can only dream of being like Terry, who's a very interesting person! Kim-Joy is another genuine eclectic - I think she's adorable.
    Briony is a dote.
    I like Dan and Jon - they're both very natural on camera. I was surprised to hear about the Twitter thing, that's a bit sad and not in the spirit of the show!
    They're a likable and varied bunch this year.
    The chocolate sphere challenge was great but I kind of wish they'd do something about the heat in the tent when setting challenges that are so temperature dependent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jellybear wrote: »
    It's gas how people's favourites differ. I personally really like Dan and I'm not too keen on Jon! Just something about him...maybe it's the Hawaiian shirts!!:D

I'm slightly hesitant to say this, and I hope it's okay to say!!...I really like Rahul and I've noticed a good few posters here aren't mad about his manner etc. I wonder is he perhaps autistic (possibly aspergers) as he displays many common traits which would be associated with autism. I hope no one minds me saying that and I apologise if it causes any offence.... I just thought it might be something for those who think he is playing up to the coy/bashful persona to consider.
    We thought this too.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I don't think Rahul is playing up his lack of confidence - he cringes with his entire being, and is the least natural 'performer' I can imagine. I genuinely believe he's a painfully shy, bashful, introverted young man who just happens to be an incredible baker. I haven't heard him say why he applied for GBBO, or what his thought process was?
    Maybe I'm just gullible but I feel that if he was putting on an act, there'd be a 'tell' of some kind. If he suddenly blossoms into a significantly more confident person as the weeks go by then I'll put my hands up and concede that he must be as good an actor as he is a baker :D I missed the fact that he has a PhD until I saw it mentioned in an article I read this evening - he's very accomplished.
    Not a mad fan of Manon as she comes across as very conceited.
    Ruby seems alright. Prue seems to have a bit of a problem with her - she's been rather bitchy to her a couple of times now.
    Can't hack yer one with the beret (Karen?) - she's one of those people who goes around screeching 'I'm mad, me!' to try to make themselves appear interesting, but there's nothing in particular to back it up. She can only dream of being like Terry, who's a very interesting person! Kim-Joy is another genuine eclectic - I think she's adorable.
    Briony is a dote.
    I like Dan and Jon - they're both very natural on camera. I was surprised to hear about the Twitter thing, that's a bit sad and not in the spirit of the show!
    They're a likable and varied bunch this year.
    The chocolate sphere challenge was great but I kind of wish they'd do something about the heat in the tent when setting challenges that are so temperature dependent.

Ha ha ha, yes! :D

I like Terry too. So creative.

Re: the heat in the tent - apparently air conditioners are too loud for the filming. But yeah, the heat thing is getting boring. They need to set tasks mindful that the weather could be hot any week. They think they’re making it more interesting but I’d rather see less bakes go wrong due to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Im only catching up now.

This series,paul is reeeeaaaally laying on the handshakes.
    3 one week..two this week.
    It used to be this once in a series type of thing..now they are waaaay too frequent to mean anything.
    i think he should stop handing them out (:D pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Watching the extra slice. Who on earth are the guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah you have to know Stephen Mangan? Even I know who he is!

And Sandy.

No idea who the asian guy is though.

But they have me giggling all the way! And full-on laughing at Jo smashing the plate :eek: :D

Tom Allen is funny but I wish he'd stop SHOUTING :(

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah you have to know Stephen Mangan? Even I know who he is!

And Sandy.

No idea who the asian guy is though.

But they have me giggling all the way! And full-on laughing at Jo smashing the plate :eek: :D

I know Sandy, but not the others. Still no idea who Stephen mangan is. He came on and we were all like "who?"

• Advertisement

I know Sandy, but not the others. Still no idea who Stephen mangan is. He came on and we were all like "who?"
    Episodes? The IT Crowd (I think....)? Can't remember what else, but he's good, I like.

Advertisement