Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2018 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jeepers, the choc sauce on that "robin" looks only gawjus!!

Vanilla and breastmilk cake :eek:

This segment going on and on and on.... and on and on.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I know Sandy, but not the others. Still no idea who Stephen mangan is. He came on and we were all like "who?"

He was in Alan Partridge a few times amongst others.
    He has a fantastic series called "Episodes" which is really worth watching. It's about 2 writers who go to LA to make an American version of their British show and really shows up the glam and glitz of show business. Matt le Blanc plays himself and is really funny in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

.red. wrote: »
    He was in Alan Partridge a few times amongst others.
    He has a fantastic series called "Episodes" which is really worth watching. It's about 2 writers who go to LA to make an American version of their British show and really shows up the glam and glitz of show business. Matt le Blanc plays himself and is really funny in it.

He was also on The Green Wing and Hangups. Not in the IT Crowd.

Episodes is well worth a watch, and I liked the Green Wing, but it went a little under the radar, you can see it i on All4.

Speedsie wrote: »
    He was also on The Green Wing and Hangups. Not in the IT Crowd.

Episodes is well worth a watch, and I liked the Green Wing, but it went a little under the radar, you can see it i on All4.

The Green Wing, of course!!! Only saw one or two, but thought it looked great. I love both him and Tamsin Greig. Must watch some if they're on the C4 player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

He was also Adrian Mole in the Cappuccino Years

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Finally caught up on Bread Week last night which I had missed - poor Antony, I really enjoyed him and his big smile but he had a terrible bread week.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Are we all ready for "Spice week"?!

These madcap weeks always stress me out, it's much harder to try and guess what to bake for them when they're like "now, for the first time ever, purple week" and then you get three random clips of baking and just have to hope for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

zenbuffy wrote: »
    Are we all ready for "Spice week"?!
    Spice week?? I dunno I must do a different kind of baking, I don't think I've ever used spices when baking, few herbs maybe.
    If the presenters don't make Spice Girls references I'll be bitterly disappointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    If the presenters don't make Spice Girls references I'll be bitterly disappointed!

:D

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Spice week?? I dunno I must do a different kind of baking, I don't think I've ever used spices when baking, few herbs maybe.

You probably have! If you think Christmassy, you'll find a whole category of flavours that are spices and commonly used in desserts - cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, nutmeg, etc. If you've ever made gingerbread, christmas cake, stuff like that, you've used spices while baking :) There's plenty more that you'd use in dessert too, but I think those are the ones that most people will recognise most readily!

zenbuffy wrote: »
    You probably have! If you think Christmassy, you'll find a whole category of flavours that are spices and commonly used in desserts - cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, nutmeg, etc. If you've ever made gingerbread, christmas cake, stuff like that, you've used spices while baking :) There's plenty more that you'd use in dessert too, but I think those are the ones that most people will recognise most readily!
    Ah yes! When I think of spice I think of curry and the like! Don't like Christmas cake or any fruit cake but I do love a good ginger cake, ooooh gingerbread men! Ok so there may be more to it than I initially thought....

That old bog-standard favourite Vanilla is also a spice, though I'll be surprised if people are relying on that as a main flavour for things tonight as it seems a bit ordinary. I can't tell if the first challenge mandates ginger, or if I just coincidentally saw people making ginger things, but I suppose it'll all become clear later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I predict a lot of cardamom (not that theres anything wrong with that).

I wont get to watch live anymore.....i signed up to a class not realising it was on tuesday evenings :(

Delighted to see one particular gone, bit sad to see the other go and they were quite upset too :(

Tonight's SB isn't a particular favourite of mine, but I have to say that was a very well deserved star baker.

Really don't like Dan. Such a drama queen!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

He was having a major strop wasn't he?!

I was sad to see
    Terry
    go. He was so upset. I wonder what his story is. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Honestly have mute Dan . Kim Joy is so joyful and her icing was amazing
    I really like Ruby and she seems very supportive to others . Rahul needs some sort of help to cope with his anxiety , he makes me anxious watching him

Dan for President. Really hope he wins overall.

No great surprises tonight.

At what stage can we start naming names???

Just finished watching now, final interview had me in tears, poor Terry :( Sounds like his wife died and he used baking to cope. Had he said anything about that before? He's really lovely, felt terrible for him.

KimJoy's showstopper was incredible!

And agree with whoever said Rahul needs a bit of help with the auld anxiety - he has my nerves shredded at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    At what stage can we start naming names???

Just finished watching now, final interview had me in tears,
    poor Terry :( Sounds like his wife died and he used baking to cope. Had he said anything about that before? He's really lovely, felt terrible for him.

KimJoy's showstopper was incredible!

And agree with whoever said Rahul needs a bit of help with the auld anxiety - he has my nerves shredded at this stage!
    Once its aired it is fair and acceptable to name names .

• Advertisement

Is it okay now to name names? I haven't a clue how to do that spoiler thing..

I'll just say SPOILER ALERT!

I was delighted to see Karen go. Although I didn't have much feelings on Terry either way, he broke my heart tonight. Does seem his wife passed away and being on GBBO was a positive influence in his life. The poor guy.

Kim Joys showstopper was just beautiful and Rahuls signature bake looked gorgeous. He just irritates me but boy can that man ever bake!

I think Ruby is becoming my favourite. I can't really put my finger on it, theres just something about her I like and I think she's an excellent baker. I like Briony a lot but she's just not delivering.

Kim Joy deserved star baked. Again I find her a little irritating too but she's growing on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rahul, Mannon and Kim joy probably my top 3 atm... Dan is very good but not warming to him... Not really getting the Ruby love I don't think she has been close to being star Baker yet?
    Briony I can't see lasting much longer as lovely as she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

gmisk wrote: »
    Rahul, Mannon and Kim joy probably my top 3 atm... Dan is very good but not warming to him... Not really getting the Ruby love I don't think she has been close to being star Baker yet?
    Briony I can't see lasting much longer as lovely as she is.

Ruby seems to have potential but complicates things for herself. Kim Joys creativity is very impressive. Getting kind of sick of Rahul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Too many Hollywood handshakes.
    They're losing their effectiveness.
    Must be a great bunch to deserve them though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I was like another handshake?! They mean nothing now! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Briony needs to pull her socks up. She’s been treading water for weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Briony needs to pull her socks up. She’s been treading water for weeks!

I like that they're not playing the sympathy card with her obvious disability.
    I can't bake well with 2 fully formed hands. I do think she's at a disadvantage compared to the others. She copes exceptionally well. Fair play to her. She's doing very well and is very likeable.
    I did shed a tear at the end of this weeks episode.
    They're a great bunch of contestants.

I feel like we didn't really get to know Terry at all but you could see how much the Bake Off meant to him.

It was time for Karen to go - she was treading water for the last few weeks.

I like Rahul, I think he's a good baker. But his complete lack of confidence is holding him back, both in his baking and in how he comes across on the show.

I'm glad Kim-Joy got star baker - she deserved it, she had a good week in the tent, her attention to detail and presentation was great.

Ruby is growing on me a bit, she seems to have softened up a bit and is less self absorbed (sorry I know that sounds bad).

On the other hand, Dan was in my top 3 and after last night's show I'm not sure now. I seen a different side to him last night. He's very sulky and stroppy. When his mixture on the first challenge split, he got so worked up about it and for the rest of the bake he just seemed to whinge about it instead of getting the head down and ploughing on with it. I think it as his show stopper also where he had his sulky face on again.

I still like Rahul. God love him though, he always looks like he's going to burst into tears. I really like Jon. I'd love to see both of them in the final. Rahul might, but sadly I don't think Jon will make it that far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thought the episode was the weakest,. wasn't expecting Terry to get so emotional, poor guy. It's hard to look at Rahuls expressions. Kimjoy is amazing with detail. Those little houses etc on the biscuits

Advertisement