Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mungret post office to close

• 03-08-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Just saw the list of closures for the 161 post offices on the paper today and i think it had 4 or 5 in Limerick, half of which ive never heard of the names to but one that stuck out was Mungrets.

I would have thought such a growing community would have better systems in place so to avoid closure should 1 person retire!

Apologies if i am wrong but I would have thought the Mungret post office would be pretty busy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It is busy - I'm shocked with that news

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Weren't the 161 Post Offices closed because the post master/mistress accepted voluntary redundancy rather than a business decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Clareman wrote: »
    Weren't the 161 Post Offices closed because the post master/mistress accepted voluntary redundancy rather than a business decision?

Exactly. They said yesterday the full list will be offical by the end of August when they agree final terms with those taking redundancy.

Similar thing happened in Newport a few years ago but one of the existing employees took over the office and it stayed open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

I’d get some customer service and interview skills if I were him. One of the most useless people I’ve ever been served by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Seems like a nice ploy by An Post to rid themselves of any negative PR and scapegoat the post master/mistress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

any link to the list?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a voluntary retirement scheme and on average they'll be getting €50k each and in most cases will still own the property, how bad

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/average-post-master-retirement-package-worth-50-000-an-post-1.3585509

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What paper was Mungret mentioned in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If the guy is old enough, has €50k in his back pocket and still owns the property in which the PO was located he won't be needing interview skills or other begging skills like an ordinary worker who may have been let go.

He'll be doing the interviewing and job selecting in whatever replaces the PO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Ah what a pain. The one in the crescent always has queues out the door so that one was handy for the few times I need to use the post office.

• Advertisement

It has to be one of the handiest numbers in that PO. If a little boring at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They were offered redundancy due to their desire to deduplicate not the PMs age/status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

The guy working there in his 30's was really not nice to deal with - He treated you like you just knocked down his kitten or something....

Mango Joe wrote: »
    The guy working there in his 30's was really not nice to deal with - He treated you like you just knocked down his kitten or something....

Yeah the bed manner of a goat so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

Glad to hear he was grumpy with everyone, I thought it was just me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Strettie11 wrote: »
    Glad to hear he was grumpy with everyone, I thought it was just me .

No he used to bad-mouth you quite a lot too.

It was very awkward for the rest of us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah the bed manner of a goat so to speak.

Double jobbing with the HSE was he? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

His Mother in law wasnt much better there b4 him she handed over the reins to him . Very rude lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The thing that drives me mad about this PO is the idiots parking outside it on the footpath with half their car sticking on onto the road, the MOST annoying thing about it is that there is a free car park located 3 seconds walk away DIRECTLY ACROSS THE FU**ING ROAD!!!!

Advertisement