Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itchy Feet - Entrepreneurial Trait?

Options
  • 03-08-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Question for people who have set up their own business...

Im in my early 30's have moved around a couple of jobs, longest ive been in a single job is 4 years. My later working life has all been in the same general industry although different aspects (I retained 8 years ago by doing a 4 year degree but Im still in the same industry just coming at it from a different professional angle.

Having retained, I did 4 years in a very corporate company, I recently moved to a much smaller company (same role) which is a much more enjoyable environment. I've always preferred small companies being closer to the ground etc more interested in seeing the progression of the company.

Now i'm 7 months into this job attained a further professional recognition/qualification from our professional association which is great...But... I'm starting to feel bored again. I really do hate to job hop and I hope my CV doesn't read that way, however, I have always had a niggling idea that I will never settle properly until I'm working for myself.

I guess my question is does this sound familiar to people? Work is work we all have to do it, I just cant decide if its better to put up and get on with it... or scratch the itch and take a leap...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do you have a specific business in mind or are you just wanting to work for yourself?

Would going freelance in your industry be feasible? That way you can see how you cope with the strains and stresses of running a mini-business, yourself, without the heavy financial commitment a business entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Very simple answer - start a side hustle! I work 9-5 for a large corporation but also work on multiple side projects. I have one main project that brings in four figures a month in mainly passive income and that's only set to grow over the coming months. I am also working on a couple of apps.

My high level goal is to go full time with my own business over the next 2-3 years most likely, but I like my job and so there's no rush.

Also don't forget that your job is not just what you do - it has a whole host of other benefits such as pension, insurance and most of all the social aspects, structure, somewhere to go and interact with other people. You don't get that as easily working for yourself, so do make sure you see the bigger picture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Yes Gloomtastic, my profession is one which I could go out on my own at, it would be difficult to build up a client base but is definitely possible.

I had thought as you suggested lastusername of doing bits and pieces on the side alright. I suppose my work is labor intensive involving a physical presence at locations and then writing reports based on site visits. But it is definitely something I considered. My first step is really getting insurance which I don't believe to be cost prohibitive so I should probably sort that and then get the ball rolling with regard to doing a bit on the side. Makes sense as a starting point!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Doop wrote: »
    Yes Gloomtastic, my profession is one which I could go out on my own at, it would be difficult to build up a client base but is definitely possible.

I had thought as you suggested lastusername of doing bits and pieces on the side alright. I suppose my work is labor intensive involving a physical presence at locations and then writing reports based on site visits. But it is definitely something I considered. My first step is really getting insurance which I don't believe to be cost prohibitive so I should probably sort that and then get the ball rolling with regard to doing a bit on the side. Makes sense as a starting point!

Go for it! There are plenty of start your own business courses out there to help you. Prepare a business plan with set goals for expansion after 12/18 & 24 months and beyond and move mountains to achieve them.

Advertisement