Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good price for doors?

Options
  • 03-08-2018 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been trying to get quotes to have 7 new internal doors fitted in the house. Current ones are battered and ugly.

I've only managed to get 1 quote so far.

Its for 7 engineered oak doors, 5 cottage style and 2 fully glazed.
    Hung and fitted with black butt hinges.
    Thumb latch style handles that I requested.

The doors will have to be adjusted as pretty much every door is currently a different size!

The quote is €2800 for supply and fitting of everything.

I honestly have no idea if this is a good price or not. It sounds a lot but for all I know its a bargain! We've never had any carpentry/joinery work done before so nothing to compare it to.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

I've been trying to get quotes to have 7 new internal doors fitted in the house. Current ones are battered and ugly.

I've only managed to get 1 quote so far.

Its for 7 engineered oak doors, 5 cottage style and 2 fully glazed.
    Hung and fitted with black butt hinges.
    Thumb latch style handles that I requested.

The doors will have to be adjusted as pretty much every door is currently a different size!

The quote is €2800 for supply and fitting of everything.

I honestly have no idea if this is a good price or not. It sounds a lot but for all I know its a bargain! We've never had any carpentry/joinery work done before so nothing to compare it to.

Go to a door supplier and price the materials on their own. Doors and Floors for example.

I recently done 12 in my house. White Oak.
    Cost me 1k alone to get them fitted by a carpenter.
    Doors and all associated misc items RRP was 4k (frames, architraves, ironmongery)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It sounds reasonable enough really- obviously depending on the price of the actual door, but I found that the handles etc were quite expensive, to get decent ones that I picked out myself.
    As above, you could price all the materials separately. And see what they come to, and go from there. Don’t underestimate how long it will take to be done right.
    We had doors hung recently, and there seemed to be a lot of work attached to it- our house is older, and a lot of the doors were off standard, and took him ages to get right. Some days he only got one door done in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Also- I have found that a lot of tradespeople don’t shop around like you would yourself- they have one providers that they go to for everything, and don’t look beyond it. We found that buying materials ourself was often significantly cheaper- but my hubby is a champion haggler!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jlm29 wrote: »
    Also- I have found that a lot of tradespeople don’t shop around like you would yourself- they have one providers that they go to for everything, and don’t look beyond it. We found that buying materials ourself was often significantly cheaper- but my hubby is a champion haggler!

i agree with thisi buy most of my materials in one supplier. the rest in another. both locally. i could go ringing or calling to other suppiers in near by towns but that eats up time that im not going to get paid for.

i will gladly buy materials for more just to speed it up and avoid that hassle.

this is a few doors to the OP . to the carpenter all these quotes add up and you could be pricing 100 diferent things each week. the prices change so much on some things that you cant go by the price a few weeks ago ( i have been caught a few times that way)

stuff like screws i buy online and could buy 1000 euros worth at a time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scoopss

It sounds a little bit dear. What part of the country are you in ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Dundalk.

Like everything in this house they are all random sizes, not standard. Pain in the bum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

scoopss wrote: »

7 engineered oak doors and accessories for 2800 all in is good in my opinion.
    They only saving throughout the country is the labor element.

I recently done 12 in my house and I rang every single shop in the country that we’re doing the Deanta white oak doors, and they were all within a couple of euro of each other.

The difference came down to the carpenter fitting them.

Are you getting the door frames redone as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Not having the door frames completely refitted, but repaired where necessary.

However, one of the guys from the company came round to measure up the other day and he said 2800 + vat so I need to confirm with them, as the email said "total cost of 2800". So not sure which it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement