Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G Internet Dongle to Ethernet - Connection possible

Options
  • 03-08-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

So im going to try and explain what i am trying to do - and im hoping someone can help me!

My friend lives in a rural part of Ireland - His Internet which is roughly 3-5MBPS is achieved by way of a Huawei Wifi Dongle, with a 3G Sim - I helped him get trhis working by locating a 'sweet-spot' for the 3G signal, that is also a able to cover most of his house, and can be powered by mains - took 4 hours, but job done!

SO - he is now purchasing a Set_Top_Box that is Ethernet Only - there is a wifi adapter available but suffice to say there are serious issues with this- however all reports are that ethernet works fine

Problem - can i get a device that picks up the wireless connection and outputs it by way of a standard ethernet port!?

Thanks in advance guys

Most home plugs i looked at seem designed to work in pairs - one requiring connection to a router! which is obviously not what we are looking for -

Is it possible to use a wireless router (i have a spare) to pick the signal up and output through its 4 ethernet ports? or what would you suggest!?

Anyway thanks in advance again - i thought this would be easy but i been scratching my head for a while - its an unusual problem!!! lol

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

You put the sim into a router that supports ethernet ports, so:

mobile data > huawei > ethernet > stb

The Huawei B525 is an excellent choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

Yes get a proper 3G/4G modem huawei and if possible run a Cat5e cable to the set top box. You will also notice your throughput speeds will be better than the current dongle which is a bonus. If using 3 networks you can purchase in store for around 150e i think well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy online not in-store. In store requires a plan which is poor value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

You don't want to WiFi but you want a device that connects to WiFi and gives Ethernet????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

You can do this on any windows device that has both wifi and ethernet by bridging them.
    If you want something less conspicuous you can use a raspberry pi to do the same thing, though not all have wifi. The model B3 would work for bridging, but it involves a bit of setup first

• Advertisement
Advertisement