Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papal Flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Conditions in Knock are poor, 400 RVR, CATII approach

Nothing new there

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Is 2909 just a spare in case of a tech?
    Sorry if already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Seems to be down. "Land in fog no matter what" I reckon would be the mantra!

Wonder what they actually would have done if Knock was fogged in? Cancel the whole Knock leg and bring him back to Dublin I assume? No other way to do it. Doubt they'd have landed him at Shannon, it'd take too long to get up to Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Will the Irish government be picking up the tab for this or how does it work? Why Aer Lingus over RYR, neither are state owned! Was there a tendering process??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Irish Rail would be the back up but that would be a call made earlier today if that was needed. They had a train on standby in 1979.

Aer Lingus are chartered by the Holy Sea, the policy is the flag carrier of the visited nation.

The journalists traveling pay for their own seats

• Advertisement

Interesting to see the extra Aer Lingus titles added above the door to make sure the brand is all over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Interesting to see the extra Aer Lingus titles added above the door to make sure the brand is all over

And two gob****es with Aer Lingus umbrellas for themselves at the bottom of the stairs while the auld lad gets rained on.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    And two gob****es with Aer Lingus umbrellas for themselves at the bottom of the stairs while the auld lad gets rained on.

One of them was eyeing up a handshake but got overlooked, probably just a little overawed and didn't know what to do with the brolly :)

Just the Vatican crest, all other logos are the fleet standard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What was the second aer Lingus plane into Knock? Just landing now. That a back up?
    Was circling over Leitrim for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Yep. It is a back up in case the other one goes tech.

Just the Vatican crest, all other logos are the fleet standard

There were additional Aer Lingus titles directly above the door - they're not standard.They did the same in 79

Hope the lads on the 1979 swap with the 2909 so the four of them get a shot at flying him

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

No doubt. Both aircraft are 19 years old.
    Aer Lingus are chartered by the Holy Sea, the policy is the flag carrier of the visited nation.
    The Holy See :). I don't think Aer Lingus is still the flag carrier much as some would like to believe.
    Why Aer Lingus over RYR, neither are state owned!
    The only suitable FR aircraft would have been their solitary sometimes-luxury-version 737-700 but, in that config, probably not nearly enough seats for everyone and no backup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Mebuntu wrote: »
    No doubt. Both aircraft are 19 years old.
    The Holy See :). I don't think Aer Lingus is still the flag carrier much as some would like to believe.
    Why Aer Lingus over RYR, neither are state owned!
    The only suitable FR aircraft would have been their solitary sometimes-luxury-version 737-700 but, in that config, probably not nearly enough seats for everyone and no backup.

I don’t think the age of the aircraft has anything to do with it, they’re be absolutely no chances taken here as there wasn’t in 1979, of anything in the airlines control disrupting such a huge event publicity wise.
    EI are still the flag carrier as far as I know, in the same way BA and Iberia are also their countries flag carriers despite being private businesses same applies elsewhere

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EI2018 getting ready to depart Knock now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Why would you say they have only 1 suitable aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

I don't think the aircraft used on this visit have been in any special config, they probably need the seats in fairness. An FR B738 could probably have been used if they'd wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

john boye wrote: »

I don't think the aircraft used on this visit have been in any special config, they probably need the seats in fairness. An FR B738 could probably have been used if they'd wanted to.

There was a small modification done at doors 3,that was about it

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Why would you say they have only 1 suitable aircraft?
    My personal opinion is that I think the 738 config would have been a little cramped compared to the EI A321 without taking out a few rows. Mind you, it hasn't stopped me doing 1000+ flights with FR but I'm not the Pope.
    EI are still the flag carrier as far as I know, in the same way BA and Iberia are also their countries flag carriers despite being private businesses same applies elsewhere
    Before the post I had a look around to see if I could get a definitive definition of a flag carrier. The explanation on Wikepedia whether correct or not:

"A flag carrier is a transportation company, such as an airline or shipping company, that, being locally registered in a given sovereign state, enjoys preferential rights or privileges accorded by the government for international operations. The term also refers to any carrier that is or was owned by a government, even long after their privatization when preferential rights or privileges continue."

In this day and age I can't see how a Government could be permitted to give preferential rights and privileges to one airline over another (unless it was State owned) but I suppose that's a debate outside this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (for what it's worth)

Aer Lingus
    Aerlinguslogo.svg
    IATA ICAO Callsign
    EI EIN SHAMROCK
    Founded 15 April 1936; 82 years ago
    Commenced operations 27 May 1936

Aer Lingus (/ˌɛər ˈlɪŋɡəs/, an anglicisation of the Irish aerloingeas[2][3] meaning "air fleet") is the flag carrier airline of Ireland and the second-largest airline in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Comhra wrote: »
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (for what it's worth)

It's not worth anything, because I could just go in and change it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EIN2408 (EI-CPG) being followed by EIN2AKL (EI-CPH). The first of these rolling for takeoff at 1844.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EchoIndia wrote: »
    EIN2408 (EI-CPG) being followed by EIN2AKL (EI-CPH). The first of these rolling for takeoff at 1844.

I get sending the second A321 to NOC in case an issue getting him back on the first. Is it not overkill sending a backup with this flight? Is it in case the first has to divert due to issues and then they switch to the first?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    EchoIndia wrote: »

I get sending the second A321 to NOC in case an issue getting him back on the first. Is it not overkill sending a backup with this flight? Is it in case the first has to divert due to issues and then they switch to the first?

Yep, no chances taken, the second plane will turn around in the air and return to Dublin when the first flight with the pope onboard has reached a point where they know they will reliably get the Pope to Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yep, no chances taken, the second plane will turn around in the air and return to Dublin when the first flight with the pope onboard has reached a point where they know they will reliably get the Pope to Rome

And this dude lectures us about the environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

It's a pity his gone anything else coming up soon I can complain about:D

Backup aircraft is coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Backup aircraft is coming home

And primary aircraft is in the descent to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Locker10a wrote: »

Having “shepherded” EI2408 all the way until they had passed Corsica, EI-CPH is now turning back towards Dublin over the island of Elba.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

In keeping with his humility, should he not be travelling via Ryanair?

Advertisement