Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD replacement in laptop with SSD

Options
  • 03-08-2018 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Have an olderish laptop thats starting to slow up, still works great. Theres a 500gb internal HDD, a DVD bay.

Do I put the replace the HDD with the SDD and put HDD in the DVD bay or vice versa. Will the SDD work in the DVD bay as well as if it was in the HDD slot?

If I put the SDD in the bay, copy everything on the HDD to the SDD, then swap them out and rename the drives, is it as easy as that? probably not, my pc building days are long gone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

First things first copying data instead of fresh install would be a waste. Fresh install would be best just a few things to check software and licences installed do you have them all and discs for reinstall or downloads. Your data (documents pictures movies and the likes) would be best to copy off computer to backup drive first before you start.

On the best setup I would recommend research your make and model laptop for the dvd drive expansion bay for hard drive as i know of my daughters lenovo will not work that saying i never tested this just reports online.

I did this to my wifes toshiba put ssd into hard drive bay removing old hard drive. Put old hard drive into the dvd drive bay and all worked out ok. Fresh install of windows and data saved on hard drive which was 750Gb so now a 128gb ssd in main hard drive best for booting.

Advertisement