Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid 40s - Pharmacy reading glasses or Eye Test

Options
  • 03-08-2018 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum.

I'm in my mid 40s and noticed recently I'm not able to read as well and have to move objects away from my eyes, especially when reading a book. I've always had good eyesight and never have had to wear glasses

Just wondering should I bother getting a proper eye test and prescription or would pharmacy cheap reading glasses suffice for the time-being?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

chewed wrote: »
    I hope this is the right forum.

I'm in my mid 40s and noticed recently I'm not able to read as well and have to move objects away from my eyes, especially when reading a book. I've always had good eyesight and never have had to wear glasses

Just wondering should I bother getting a proper eye test and prescription or would pharmacy cheap reading glasses suffice for the time-being?

Eye examination is not just for the prescription for glasses it's a health check of the eyes as well. Even for people who don't wear glasses the recommended intervel for eye examinations is every 2 years. Get a full exam and see what your prescription is and then make a decision.

There are several considerations about ready made eyewear versus eyewear that's actually made for your specific measurements, both prescription wise and physicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I can never understand why people use pharmacy glasses, would they not be destroying your eyes?

Why would you not go and have a proper eye test done and wear glasses that are the correct prescription?

Just cost?

....... wrote: »
    Why would you not go and have a proper eye test done and wear glasses that are the correct prescription?

Just cost?

Is it not free to everybody who pays PRSI? I got my eyes tested last week and it was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Is it not free to everybody who pays PRSI? I got my eyes tested last week and it was free.

The test is, the glasses are not.

But you can buy prescription glasses online - I get all of mine online, 20 euro for a pair of prescription glasses (frames, lenses, anti glare etc...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

....... wrote: »
    The test is, the glasses are not.

But you can buy prescription glasses online - I get all of mine online, 20 euro for a pair of prescription glasses (frames, lenses, anti glare etc...)

Certain glasses are now free under the PRSI scheme. It was reinstated last October. If you don't get the free ones you get €42ish off other glasses

• Advertisement
Advertisement