Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken crockery

Options
  • 03-08-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I have a massive box of crockery (broken) in the garage
    I have often thought of using it, but never got around to it
    I was thinking it'd be nice to make a garden path, leading to the kids playhouse

The kids would love to be involved!

Has anyone ever done this?
    If I set a path of concrete, could the broken crockery just be set it it? Would it needto be sealed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen, to be honest. Slippery when wet, probe to sharp edge chipping or breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Would have to agree with srameen. It will chip when walked on, crack in frost and heat, break if jumped on etc. I'd perhaps consider using it in a fresco or somesuch instead but certainly not in a path or anything that can be walked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yeah I wouldn't use it for that. But crockery pieces are really useful when you're planting containers, they go at the bottom before compost or topsoil, to improve draining since the soil won't clog the draining holes or leak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Ye are so right!
    Thanks a million. I think I got caught up in thinking it'd look pretty and be a nice activity for the kids!
    Dangerous, is right. Especially with little feet here.
    Good idea to use as pot drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

A garden mosaic would be the way to go with you doing the breaking and cutting. The trick is to end up with flat bits or small curves that will sink into the cement base or that can be glued down onto the base. If they are very small and cant wear small garden gloves you can get them to draw a picture after looking at the colours and you translate it into a finished art work.
    A inspiration :
    http://www.woohome.com/garden-2/28-stunning-mosaic-projects-for-your-garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Traditionally, pieces of broken unglazed pottery, called "crocks" were used to supply drainage at the bottom of plant pots. Using pieces of glazed crockery for this purpose is unwise as the sharp edges can lead to cut fingers. This sharp material will inevitably find its way into your garden soil or into compost which you will use for other pots where it will be as hazardous as pieces of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A garden mosaic would be the way to go with you doing the breaking and cutting. The trick is to end up with flat bits or small curves that will sink into the cement base or that can be glued down onto the base. If they are very small and cant wear small garden gloves you can get them to draw a picture after looking at the colours and you translate it into a finished art work.
    A inspiration :
    http://www.woohome.com/garden-2/28-stunning-mosaic-projects-for-your-garden

Beautiful and reminds me of this

https://www.visitguernsey.com/content/little-chapel

broken china, shells and pebbles

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Graces7 wrote: »
    Beautiful and reminds me of this

https://www.visitguernsey.com/content/little-chapel

broken china, shells and pebbles

Lovely - and you would have to apply for, and wouldn't get, planning permission for that now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

looksee wrote: »
    Lovely - and you would have to apply for, and wouldn't get, planning permission for that now!

I've visited there. Totally impractical for a garden and, if I'm being honest, it's quite gaudy and garish in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its gaudy and garish even in the pictures, but there is something appealing about it. So long as it is tucked away in a sylvan glade somewhere, why not. I think its the kind of eccentricity that is going to disappear as regulations get more draconian. (Can you tell I am having a Planning Permission experience at the moment? :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement