Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Masters & A3 Road Race Championships

Options
  • 03-08-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Any one know anything about this? I can see on the calendar its in Shannon but no other details yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Why were these not held alongside the Nationals in June?
    They are normally held all at the same time..

scott1974 wrote: »
    Why were these not held alongside the Nationals in June?
    They are normally held all at the same time..

nope, never held together. its usually Masters, A3 and Juniors together but juniors was moved to the Elites weekend this year.

thekooman wrote: »
    nope, never held together. its usually Masters, A3 and Juniors together but juniors was moved to the Elites weekend this year.

It says on the facebook details : "National Time Trial titles for M40/M50/M60....National Road Titles for M40/M50/M60/A3 racing categories"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Is there or where is the best place to keep an eye on this stuff?

The cycling Ireland calendar is sometimes inaccurate, slightly out of date or lacking details.

Im in the cycling Ireland group on facebook and a lot is posted there but updates on some events is missed from time to time.

thekooman wrote: »

They were held together last year. Rule changed by race commission. Terrible decision

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    They were held together last year. Rule changed by race commission. Terrible decision

Last year and the year before too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

If both A3 and a master's category are on your licence is there a choice as to which race you can enter or can you only do the masters race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I might be wrong but I was under the impression it's all the same race?

I'll probably be doing the Trader's Cup instead, it's a bit of a trek to Shannon.

• Advertisement

Miklos wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I was under the impression it's all the same race?

I'll probably be doing the Trader's Cup instead, it's a bit of a trek to Shannon.

2 separate races, it's a Championship event with a 9.30 start for the vets. made up of a lot of A1s so it's likely to be a cracking race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    2 separate races, it's a Championship event with a 9.30 start for the vets. made up of a lot of A1s so it's likely to be a cracking race.

Are there not separate races for M40, M50 and M60 masters?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Are there not separate races for M40, M50 and M60 masters?

yes. 4 races total. apologies,was thinking only of my own group.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I think it’s inconsiderate to run the two championships on two consecutive days, especially as Masters from 40 to 60+ don’t recover quickly. If you do the first you can hardly expect to be in top form for the second. They wouldn’t do this for seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

TGD wrote: »
    I think it’s inconsiderate to run the two championships on two consecutive days, especially as Masters from 40 to 60+ don’t recover quickly. If you do the first you can hardly expect to be in top form for the second. They wouldn’t do this for seniors.

Can a rider take part in two Championship events in the same discipline?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Can a rider take part in two Championship events in the same discipline?

I meant TT on Saturday and road race on Sunday (if I’m reading it right).

absolutely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

How long is the TT? If it’s 10 miles or less sounds like a good opener workout for the race on Sunday. Then again if it’s a 25 mile TT you may have a point.

Edit: 22k.

Chumpski wrote: »
    How long is the TT? If it’s 10 miles or less sounds like a good opener workout for the race on Sunday. Then again if it’s a 25 mile TT you may have a point.

Edit: 22k.

depends what you view as a leg opener is - a few 10 second high cadence sprints and one or two threshold 3-5 minuters is usually my preferred day before leg opener.

not a warm up and warm down and in between a balls out effort for over 30 minutes less than 24 hours before a 130 km road race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

If both A3 and a master's category are on your licence is there a choice as to which race you can enter or can you only do the masters race ?

??? Somebody must know the story on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

??? Somebody must know the story on this
    Think if tou are a3 masters you must do masters
    Ie a3 champs is for a3s under 40.thats my tuppence worth but not 100% sure.unless there has been a change recently thats the regulatuon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I could be wrong but thought you could stay A3 rather than go to masters but if you got the M40 or similar on your license, that's it, your stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be wrong but thought you could stay A3 rather than go to masters but if you got the M40 or similar on your license, that's it, your stuck there.

This is correct, its whats on your license that determines your correct race, not your age, i.e. A3 license but 42 years of age means A3 race, not M40 race. Its all down to what you requested when you applied for your license, did you tick the M40 box in my case below, or not, if so you are in the M40 race, if not the A3 race.

C27MNxl.png

To be honest if they don't introduce an A4 champs before I retire, I will be disgusted.

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be honest if they don't introduce an A4 champs before I retire, I will be disgusted.

To be honest, I don't think there should be an A3 champs. If there's an A3 (and an A4??), why not an A2?

Just one senior road championship and one champion.

To be honest, I don't think there should be an A3 champs. If there's an A3 (and an A4??), why not an A2?

Just one senior road championship and one champion.

Because I won't win it with that sort of an attitude :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

120+ riders signed on for M40 race, maybe M40 races are an alternative to separate A1/A2 races!!!

royrogers wrote: »
    120+ riders signed on for M40 race, maybe M40 races are an alternative to separate A1/A2 races!!!
    Over 30 of those were A1 riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

An alternative in the sense that your not chasing a young lad twenty years younger than you that hasn't put in a forty hr week in work and up at all hrs looking after young kids, more of a level playing field!

• Advertisement

royrogers wrote: »
    An alternative in the sense that your not chasing a young lad twenty years younger than you that hasn't put in a forty hr week in work and up at all hrs looking after young kids, more of a level playing field!

no disrespect to organisers on sunday but the course was never going to break the bunch up irrespective of grade. But throw a more demanding course into the equation and I'm not sure it would be a level playing field.

Advertisement