Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin care

Options
  • 03-08-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I'd love some advice from those who grow pumpkins.

Do you/how do you cut back the vines without damaging the plant? When I was buying the seed, the person in the garden centre told me I could cut/prune them back to help keep control of the plant, but I can't for the life of me remember what she said to do (or if she even did). Iv two plants growing now and they are thankfully throwing like weeds! But I would like to cut them back a bit, and also cut off the smaller fruits. I only want 2/3 pumpkins from each plant and there are enough fruit set and growing well at this stage. I just don't want to cut a vine when I shouldn't or cut a vine in the wrong place etc.

How do you support the fruits? Iv a couple sitting on grass, should I put anything under them? There's also a couple hanging off the edge of the raised bed, do/should I support them?

Sorry for all the questions, iv only grown pumpkins once before and just let them go wild.

Cheers!

Advertisement