Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 4 series gran coupe v G30 5 series

• 03-08-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

These are about the same price and was just wondering if you had €40k to buy a 2 year old model next year which would you get?

Just trying to understand why people by the 4 series and why it's so expensive as to me the 5 is the better car and more modern, bigger, better spec'd etc.

So why do people buy the 4 GC over the 5?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Which engine? Makes all the difference for me anyway. I'd choose 530d G30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 4 Series is a coupe even in 4 door guise so will always be that bit more exclusive and desirable than the bigger and more common saloon 5 Series.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 4 Series is a coupe even in 4 door guise so will always be that bit more exclusive and desirable than the bigger and more common saloon 5 Series.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 4 GC, much prefer the 2 door but your point is valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was pretty much set on getting a 430d GC but ended up in another 5er. The 4er is more sporty to look at and sharper to drive but the extra level of refinement and finish won out in the end for me. If it were 10 years ago I would have went with the 4er for sure. I still admire the 4er GC when I see one but it really depends on the colour, etc. They do look very handsome in M Sport form and the right colour while like most BMWs in non M Sport form they look bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Which engine? Makes all the difference for me anyway. I'd choose 530d G30.

for comparison sake just say 420d/520d.

• Advertisement

In that case I'd go 420d - smaller, lighter and as bazz said, sharper handling.

I do like the exterior of the 4 series but I just can't get over the interior.

Even the hold fashioned handbrake - hate it.

Just can't get over it, at same price the g30 cabin is a million times nicer.

I think you already had your mind made up before starting this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have a 420d GC M-Sport+ (that's a lot of badges :D) since January this year. I also had a new-ish G30 520d SE as a loaner for a few days a couple of months ago, so I think I'm in a good position to give a comparison on the 2 cars...

I suppose what drew me to the GC was the looks, the coupe styling is really nice imo (e.g. frameless windows on the doors), the car is a relatively rare sight on the roads compared to the 5 series. IMO it's a real head turner, whereas a 5 series really isn't. My own car is a very unusual grey (BMW individual colour) which adds to the rarity factor too. I was also coming from a Golf and I didn't want anything as big or family-car oriented as a 5 series. The 4 has a more youthful image imo! Or maybe I am kidding myself!

The interior on the 4 is starting to show its age and is a bit low on tech, even compared to run of the mill hatchbacks - for example, I really hate the manual handbrake - but with the M-Sport trim and bright coloured leather seats it does still look great overall imo. I actually avoid even using the handbrake... there's very little need for it with the auto box (put it in Park, that does the job).
    It's a comfortable cruiser although one negative I find is a lack of somewhere to rest your right foot when cruising on the motorway. The Nav / Media system is excellent and the sound system is brill (I have the Harmon Kardon upgrade). I came from a MK7 Golf, I would say the Golf's interior fit and finish is easily as good as the BMW in most respects and the Golf has better tech (electric parking brake, auto hold, adaptive cruise). The media/nav system is far better in the BMW though.

Another big boon in the 420 is the boot. It's huge - really practical with a massive electric-powered hatch opening.

The refinement is only OK tbh. I was used to petrol cars for years, but the 420 can be especially noisy, particularly at low speed, in the carpark, on the driveway, etc. Once on the move its absolutely fine. The ride is pretty firm, but it is on 19" wheels and M-Sport suspension so that's to be expected. Power, I find it decent enough. There's plenty of poke in it tbh, I've never found it wanting. MPG is pretty good... even with my short ish commutes I'm averaging around 40mpg in the 8k kms since I got it. MPG deffo has improved with the warmer weather I've found.

So... onto the 520d.
    First thing I noticed once on the move is it is way more refined. There's clearly way better noise insulation from the engine in the cabin. The car had the same engine but it felt smoother and a fair bit more refined. I am assuming this is purely down to cabin insulation, as on the outside it was just as noisy!

It also had an electric parking brake / auto hold... which I loved, I really miss that from my old Golf.

I took the 520d on a long cross country spin and it was very comfy indeed. It even felt quite punchy, plenty of get up and go in it tbh. It was "only" a SE model, so interior finish and trim wasn't great really. Not fair to compare it to the 420 M-Sport. I think M-Sport is a must-have on either car. As is the upgraded audio, because this particular 5 series didn't have it and the standard audio is absolutely appalling! I am no audiophile but it was the worst sounding radio I've heard in any car - ever.

I was also surprised by the boot in the 5. It's quite small! Certainly in comparison to my 420 it really didn't look anywhere near as useable and it didn't have the fancy electric open/closing.

Overall I am happy with my choice and if I was choosing again tomorrow I'd pick the 4 over the 5 again tbh.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I have a 420d GC M-Sport+ (that's a lot of badges :D) since January this year. I also had a new-ish G30 520d SE as a loaner for a few days a couple of months ago, so I think I'm in a good position to give a comparison on the 2 cars...

I suppose what drew me to the GC was the looks, the coupe styling is really nice imo (e.g. frameless windows on the doors), the car is a relatively rare sight on the roads compared to the 5 series. IMO it's a real head turner, whereas a 5 series really isn't. My own car is a very unusual grey (BMW individual colour) which adds to the rarity factor too. I was also coming from a Golf and I didn't want anything as big or family-car oriented as a 5 series. The 4 has a more youthful image imo! Or maybe I am kidding myself!

The interior on the 4 is starting to show its age and is a bit low on tech, even compared to run of the mill hatchbacks - for example, I really hate the manual handbrake - but with the M-Sport trim and bright coloured leather seats it does still look great overall imo. I actually avoid even using the handbrake... there's very little need for it with the auto box (put it in Park, that does the job).
    It's a comfortable cruiser although one negative I find is a lack of somewhere to rest your right foot when cruising on the motorway. The Nav / Media system is excellent and the sound system is brill (I have the Harmon Kardon upgrade). I came from a MK7 Golf, I would say the Golf's interior fit and finish is easily as good as the BMW in most respects and the Golf has better tech (electric parking brake, auto hold, adaptive cruise). The media/nav system is far better in the BMW though.

Another big boon in the 420 is the boot. It's huge - really practical with a massive electric-powered hatch opening.

The refinement is only OK tbh. I was used to petrol cars for years, but the 420 can be especially noisy, particularly at low speed, in the carpark, on the driveway, etc. Once on the move its absolutely fine. The ride is pretty firm, but it is on 19" wheels and M-Sport suspension so that's to be expected. Power, I find it decent enough. There's plenty of poke in it tbh, I've never found it wanting. MPG is pretty good... even with my short ish commutes I'm averaging around 40mpg in the 8k kms since I got it. MPG deffo has improved with the warmer weather I've found.

So... onto the 520d.
    First thing I noticed once on the move is it is way more refined. There's clearly way better noise insulation from the engine in the cabin. The car had the same engine but it felt smoother and a fair bit more refined. I am assuming this is purely down to cabin insulation, as on the outside it was just as noisy!

It also had an electric parking brake / auto hold... which I loved, I really miss that from my old Golf.

I took the 520d on a long cross country spin and it was very comfy indeed. It even felt quite punchy, plenty of get up and go in it tbh. It was "only" a SE model, so interior finish and trim wasn't great really. Not fair to compare it to the 420 M-Sport. I think M-Sport is a must-have on either car. As is the upgraded audio, because this particular 5 series didn't have it and the standard audio is absolutely appalling! I am no audiophile but it was the worst sounding radio I've heard in any car - ever.

I was also surprised by the boot in the 5. It's quite small! Certainly in comparison to my 420 it really didn't look anywhere near as useable and it didn't have the fancy electric open/closing.

Overall I am happy with my choice and if I was choosing again tomorrow I'd pick the 4 over the 5 again tbh.

Very comprehensive thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No problem.
    If you have any specific questions on things I didn’t cover, ask away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I agree with Joe’s points but would say as a 520d driver that I would go 5 all the way unless you specifically want a hatch.
    The current 5 is a generation ahead of the 4 series and it shows although I would agree the 4 is a better looker.
    BMW stripped a lot of weight out of the new 5 and it really tells in the handling and get up and go.
    I have the m sport with plus pack and this I think is the way to go. The interior with the sport seats and sensatec( fake leather) on the dash really improve the premium feel and the HK sound system is even better than in the 3/4 series.
    The 3/4 series interior is and feels a generation behind. I have no doubt the new 3 that is coming will rectify this.
    There is a reason why the 5 is so common and it is because it really is a great all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

I went from a 2 yr old 520to a 6 month old 420d Coupe this year
    I wanted to upgrade and didn’t really want another 5.
    I’ve always loved the look of the 4 and 6 series.
    I imported a practically new 4 with 13K worth of extras.
    Its a pleasure to drive , love the look and shape of the car, I think the 4 GC is just wrong, it’s not as eye catching.
    I will probably keep this and go for he new 4 in 2 years time if I can still import after Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why buy the 4GC? Gotta say I agree with a lot of Joe's post.

I bought a 420 GC M-Sport three weeks ago - an import. I was coming from a Merc A-Class, so it was an upgrade for me either way. I've always driven a hatch, never owned a saloon and I also have (small) dogs so a hatch is a necessity- having them on the backseat of a saloon even with seat covers would be a disaster - constantly cleaning dog hair, so a 5 series was not a runner. I didn't want the two door, I like having the hatch to be able to cart stuff around with me. It's easier to haul something large or heavy into the boot if the back seats are down and I can access the back easily through back doors. My days of climbing over front seats and tripping over seat belts are over. I'm a woman and I'm short, it's hard to reach in to the buttons on the backseats (of most cars) over the depth of the boot and release them and flatten the back seats. I imagine this problem doesn't present itself to the vast majority of drivers, but back doors are a godsend in this case. If I could afford two cars and the 4 was just for fun then 2 door would be no problem. In short, it has enough practicality to make it viable as an everyday car.

I like the styling of the GC, the frameless windows, the lower profile, the overall sportier look. I wanted RWD. The 2 litre engine is more than enough for my needs. There's plenty of power there to do what I want. I had an electric brake on the merc, and I'm happy to be back to manual handbrake, personally I prefer it.

It's certainly a niche car in terms of BMWs. Mine is the only one in the town I live in and I've got a lot of compliments and it's turned a lot of heads since I've got it. Doorbell rang last week and I went out to get registered post from my postman (not my regular guy) and was greeted with 'Jesus, is that a 4 series, that's a class car'. Pretty much the same thing happened this week when my regular guy was back from his holidays!:D

BMWs seems to take a lot of flak for the 'tired' interior layout, but I think it's great. It's designed for driving. The iDrive is light years ahead of the equivalent in the merc, and buttons are where they are easily accessed. To some it might not look as pretty, but ergonomically it works far better. The merc looked more plush on initial viewing but things like the controls for the A/C, heater etc being behind the gearstick meant that I hit my hand on the gearstick when I went to change the temperature or had to put my hand around the far side of the gears depending on what gear I was in.

The iDrive controller is more towards the passenger side on the BMW which is a more comfortable position for my arm. It's right beside the driver in the merc, where the handbrake would be, so is more fiddly and if you lean over to get something on the passenger seat, you press the controller when you lean across it, as I did many times. Not gonna do an essay on BMW v Merc, but the 4GC is a pleasure to drive and I can't see myself driving anything else for a long time.

... I'd say there's a fair few oul wans in the local supervalu car park in the last few weeks who have been going 'why does she keep looking back at her car?' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Nail on head at the end there, a huge amount of car ownership (if you like cars) is looking back at it when you’ve parked up. I did it nearly every single time in my last BMW. If cars bring you joy, it’s a huge factor.

Advertisement